PDA

View Full Version : Key Largo - Here I come!

NitroWill
08-23-2007, 19:32
Well, it's finally here...the weekend! :smiley32:

Headed off @ 7am tomorrow for Key Largo!
Going to do a couple shore dives in Fort Pierce area, then proceed to our camp site where we're going to be camping it out for friday night..Doing a evening/night dive Friday night! Saturday doing a lot of reef diving, lobstering, and hopefully a wreck dive or two! Then a couple more Sunday! Hopefully the weather will hold out - the weather is showing thunderstorms all 3 days so everyone pray for clear weather there :smiley20:

frankc420
08-23-2007, 19:34
Good luck and lets hope the weather stays pristine for the weekend and coming week!

NitroWill
08-23-2007, 19:37
Good luck and lets hope the weather stays pristine for the weekend and coming week!

Thanks, me too! It'd be a bummer to drive all that way for nothing but stormy weather :smiley11:

Black-Gorrilla
08-23-2007, 19:53
i hope the weather stays nice too. had to work last weekend... going diving sat/sun for sure!!

DannyNY
08-24-2007, 15:30
Have a great time Nitro... tell us all about the trip when you get back :comic11:

NitroWill
08-26-2007, 18:27
Back from the trip! Pretty fun weekend! Will have a report coming soon :)

greyzen
08-26-2007, 18:39
Got pic's?

sidneydiver
08-26-2007, 19:04
Glad you had a good weekend Nitro. I loved diving in Key Largo last time I went. I can't wait to go back.

underwaterdan
08-26-2007, 19:08
Key largo will rate near the top of my diving for a long time! I really enjoyed the view!

NitroWill
08-26-2007, 19:14
Got pic's?

Nope, no camera :( Wish I did - saw a lot of awesome things...

jeepbrew
08-26-2007, 23:42
Well, spill it, what sites did you dive?

NitroWill
08-27-2007, 14:11
Got down there Friday mid-day - weather was beautiful..
Got checked in at Pennekamp State Park where we woudl be camping out that night..
Set the tent up etc etc etc..
Went to the "Canon Beach" in the park to do some snorkeling and free diving..

The vis at Canon Beach was 10-15 at best..I saw a lot of different fish and it was a good way to spend an hour or so. Water was warm (80+) and no wet suit was needed..

Saturday morning we awoke to stormy conditions so our morning dives were canceled :( There was a saltwater lake in the condos we were staying at that day (kawama) where we spent the afternoon snorkeling and free diving. The lake was quite large and there was a wide array of fish big and small. Water was in the low 80s with vis being about 10-15 feet.

Saturday evening the weather cleared up and we decided to do a shore dive. Water was warm (low/mid 80s) and the visibility was about 30 feet. Saw many lobsters, quite a few pufferfish, and several other assorted wildlife..

Coming in about 100ft offshore in ~6 feet of water I see a sand shark appear and it heads straight at me..comes to about 1~ft away from my mask..checked me out for a couple seconds then swam off - was very cool!

Sunday morning we went out to Mosquito Reef and did a boat dive. Visibility was probably 50+ feet, water temperature mid-high 80s. Reef only sat in 10-15feet of water. Saw a large variety of fish (Angelfish, grunts, puffers (including a ~2ft one)) saw several large jellyfish, turtles, and crab..

All in all Key Largo was good fun..Due to weather didnt get as many dives as I would have liked - but theres always next time! Hopefully next time Ill have an UW camera for all the beautiful things that do exist in key largo!

scubasamurai
08-27-2007, 17:58
hey thinking about going to key largo and the spegiel any good dive shops and or dive boats to avoid or go with???
thanks

sidneydiver
08-27-2007, 22:08
Try Conch Republic Divers on Islamorada. We dove the SG with them last year, they are excellent!

FyVe
08-28-2007, 00:28
i did an awesome feeding five with Captain Slate's Atlantis Dive Shop... they have a couple of big boats that go out and stuff... i actually went on the feeding dive as one of my check-out dives... it was crazy that i got to hold a 6ft + nurse shark in my hands on my very 3rd dive... other than that... the site is BEAUTIFUL... awessssome reefs.. i definitely recommend key largo to EVERYONE who can make the trip!

scubasamurai
08-28-2007, 15:17
thanks for the ideas, sounds like fun messing with the nurse sharks

NitroWill
08-28-2007, 15:22
We visited Conch Republic and they were nice..

I would also recommend Silent World - very good people!

meesier42
08-28-2007, 19:30
hey it looks like I may be moving down that way later this year. Do you guys have any good links for shore diving sites in the Northern Keys regions. Everything that I have been able to find is well offshore and a boat or at least a Kayak is mandatory.

NitroWill
08-28-2007, 20:24
hey it looks like I may be moving down that way later this year. Do you guys have any good links for shore diving sites in the Northern Keys regions. Everything that I have been able to find is well offshore and a boat or at least a Kayak is mandatory.

There really isnt that much shore diving in the northern keys region due to the rocky terrain and little beaches. It is possible, but usually involves going out from private property..