PDA

View Full Version : oceanic geo question?

bostondivegirl
04-24-2009, 05:51
hi everyone,
I purchased a geo a couple of months ago from ST.
I like the computer so far. I have one question.
I am diving nitrox and the computer is set to ata 1.4
and the conservative feature off.
I always seem to get a high PO2 warning. I am no where near my ata. I am usually about 10-15 feet above It seems to trigger at ata 1.2
Has anyone seen this and if so, what do you recommend?

thanks for the help.

navyhmc
04-24-2009, 06:14
When you've set it, have you scrolled through the set A again to ensure it's still set to 1.4 ATA? The first time I didn't hit the advance button again and it reverted back to 1.2 ATA.

Since I went ahead and got the download cable as well, I found I can also makechanges from my laptop via the Oceanic software.

reactive
04-24-2009, 09:58
When you've set it, have you scrolled through the set A again to ensure it's still set to 1.4 ATA? The first time I didn't hit the advance button again and it reverted back to 1.2 ATA.

Since I went ahead and got the download cable as well, I found I can also makechanges from my laptop via the Oceanic software.

Same thing happened to me. Re-verifiy it's set to 1.4 under SETA like navymc said. I actually have mine set on 1.6 though.

Draq
04-24-2009, 09:59
I experienced this as well the first time I used an oceanic computer on Nitrox. It really irritated me to have the thing beeping at me and flashing "UP! UP! Your head is about to explode!!!!" when I was no where near the MOD for whatever blend it was.

I called Oceanic and what they told me was that the computer will "alarm" at .2 below where you set it, on the theory that that you want advance notice of hitting your max O2 level. I re-read the manual and it does describe that, but there is no mention on the MOD limitation also being modified, but it does. I suppose that is only logical.

Personally, I plan my dive and watch my computer and don't rely on an alarm. I would rather be able to set it where I want, using my own safety margin, and have it alert me if I hit MY max, instead of warning me 20' shallow of my MOD that the sky is falling.

One option is to just ignore the alarm, but I think that is unwise as a general principle as well as annoying. The other is to set the computer for a higher ppo than you really want, circumventing its advance warning.

I am pretty conservative so I like to stick to a max ppo2 of 1.4, so now I set the computer at 1.6 and it will leave me alone unless I hit MOD for 1.4. I can't remember offhand how high you can set the computer (for example, 1.8) so there may be limitations to this.

Hope this helps.

navyhmc
04-24-2009, 11:13
I experienced this as well the first time I used an oceanic computer on Nitrox. It really irritated me to have the thing beeping at me and flashing "UP! UP! Your head is about to explode!!!!" when I was no where near the MOD for whatever blend it was.

I called Oceanic and what they told me was that the computer will "alarm" at .2 below where you set it, on the theory that that you want advance notice of hitting your max O2 level. I re-read the manual and it does describe that, but there is no mention on the MOD limitation also being modified, but it does. I suppose that is only logical.

Personally, I plan my dive and watch my computer and don't rely on an alarm. I would rather be able to set it where I want, using my own safety margin, and have it alert me if I hit MY max, instead of warning me 20' shallow of my MOD that the sky is falling.

One option is to just ignore the alarm, but I think that is unwise as a general principle as well as annoying. The other is to set the computer for a higher ppo than you really want, circumventing its advance warning.

I am pretty conservative so I like to stick to a max ppo2 of 1.4, so now I set the computer at 1.6 and it will leave me alone unless I hit MOD for 1.4. I can't remember offhand how high you can set the computer (for example, 1.8) so there may be limitations to this.

Hope this helps.

According to the manual and my experience, you can set it to 1.6 ATA. Yep, just took it out, 1.2 to 1.6 ATA for the alarm.

Draq
04-24-2009, 16:38
So I guess if you are out of luck if you truly don't want the thing to harass you until you hit 1.6. I really wish Oceanic would re-think this. Maybe they could at least incorporate a different level of alarm at .02 below the set point; perhaps a "Caution" alert instead of "Go UP... Go UP... Go UP or Die" kind of warning.

Or at a minimum not have it freak out just based on depth. It doesn't matter how low your ppo2 level is if you exceed what it thinks your maximum depth should be, it gets mad and tells you to go up.