PDA

View Full Version : New Tanks- 02 cleaned & ready?

navychop
04-24-2009, 21:24
Are new tanks Nitrox ready or do we still need to do cleaning and preparation? How about new AL ST tanks?

mitsuguy
04-25-2009, 06:47
From what I've seen, Aluminum are not, some steel are... I believe the PST high pressure come O2 cleaned from the factory, but am not 100% sure on this... I checked their website, but no info...

texdiveguy
04-25-2009, 07:06
From what I've seen, Aluminum are not, some steel are... I believe the PST high pressure come O2 cleaned from the factory, but am not 100% sure on this... I checked their website, but no info...

WHY trust the manfc.,,,,ALWAYS re-O2 clean if you are going to expose the cylinders to over 40% O2!!! :)

mitsuguy
04-25-2009, 07:09
good point, but at the same time, if they are truly O2 cleaned from the factory, I would venture a guess that they probably have a better process for the cleaning than most of us would be able to do...

texdiveguy
04-25-2009, 07:10
Are new tanks Nitrox ready or do we still need to do cleaning and preparation? How about new AL ST tanks?

Inspect the cylinder prior to use....if 40% O2 or under exposure you are most of the time going to find a factory new cylinder clean enough.....if going to be exposed to over 40% O2 then ALWAYS O2 clean the new cylinders!

texdiveguy
04-25-2009, 07:12
good point, but at the same time, if they are truly O2 cleaned from the factory, I would venture a guess that they probably have a better process for the cleaning than most of us would be able to do...

Not really if you follow proper O2 cleaning procedures.......I would not accept any factory cleaning if that cylinder was going to be exposed to higher O2 service blending and use.

cummings66
04-25-2009, 10:07
My Al cylinder claimed it was O2 clean, I still cleaned it just the same and I suspect everybody else would too.

navychop
04-25-2009, 10:17
It just seems like a deal between manufacturers and LDS so they can tack on 75$ to look at the tank and change the o-rings and lube. What would it cost at the manufacturing level to have it 02 ready- a couple of dollars? Sheez, regulators are ready out of the box. I'm just using 28-32, but understand 02 is put in at higher concentrations if put in first. Look at medical 02 bottles- you don't have to pay 75 bucks to get them ready.

cummings66
04-25-2009, 10:31
IMO only, you can't O2 clean and ship a cylinder with the valve off and expect it to remain O2 clean. You don't know what kind of debris can get in there, you don't know the environment it was in while in transit either.

So, IMO any cylinder that gets shipped sans valve is not O2 clean regardless of what the sticker says. Now if you bleed it down to 40 psi or whatever the lowest number the shipper allows then I'd say it's still clean. I would myself still require an inspection because I have seen dive shops out there that don't do things the right way. In fact that's why I took the classes to do my own stuff, I just don't trust them with my life. I've seen far too much.

navyhmc
04-25-2009, 11:59
I have to agree with both Cummings and TDG: from he manufacturer, a tank is good to go for 40% or less. Anything more, I just don't want to chance it. BAD things can happen if a purported O2 clean tank isn't.

in_cavediver
04-25-2009, 17:33
There is onl; one small wrinle. I have had a few O2 clean tanks from the factory that came sealed with plugs. (threaded+oring). They had no pressure per se but certianly weren't open to the air.

Still, the rule is always when in doubt clean it.

skdvr
04-26-2009, 06:36
I too agree with the others... I am not trusting a tank to come to me O2 clean. I cannot blame an LDS for not trusting it either. They are the ones that are putting High Pressure 100% O2 into that tank. It is them that is going to be in some trouble if it is not cleaned... For 40% premix, no prob, but if it is going to get 100% O2 then it needs to be clean IMO.

Phil

cummings66
04-26-2009, 09:12
The thing about O2 clean is that you can cause problems in a clean cylinder, and then fill a dirty one forever without problems. There is technique involved in the filling that's as important as cleaning. For safety you do both.

I tend to stack the deck in my favor, that means no matter what I'll get my Nitrox cylinders O2 cleaned, it's cheap insurance.

plot
04-26-2009, 12:22
Is it wrong that I just don't stand near the tank when it's being filled? Regardless of what they're putting in it?

texdiveguy
04-26-2009, 12:45
Is it wrong that I just don't stand near the tank when it's being filled? Regardless of what they're putting in it?

Not at all.

UCFKnightDiver
04-26-2009, 13:57

yes you should stradle your tank while your filling it :)

navychop
04-28-2009, 21:06
Heck, I dropped my two old Luxfers at my LDS for VIP, E-current test, and 02 cleaning. It's Nitrox time!

RoyN
05-01-2009, 01:09
Its never going to be really REALLY O2 clean. Want it REALLY O2 clean? Go to a science lab with vacum air and people in hazmat white suits and you'll get 100% O2. But don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

Sansho
05-01-2009, 06:03
One online store says about 'Nitrox Ready' tanks (all their tanks are labelled as Nitrox ready): What Does Nitrox-Ready Mean? - Dive Gear Express (http://www.divegearexpress.com/library/nitroxready.shtml)

in_cavediver
05-01-2009, 06:10
Well, when talking about O2 stuff, there is O2 ready (O2 compatable) and O2 clean. Two different items

O2 compatible (O2 Ready) simply means the item it constructed of materials suitable for use with high F02's. It says nothing of the cleanliness of said item, just that the materials are OK to be exposed to high F02's if clean.

O2 clean is a description of the cleanliness of an item. It really doesn't have to speak to its O2 compatabilty but that part is usually inferred. Generally, in the dive industry, those two terms are mixed and used interchangably (for better or worse).

For instance - all of my tanks - all 19 of them (or whatever the last count was) are O2 compatable. I use Viton o-rings and o2 safe lube on everthing. That said, only 2 are currently o2 clean.

wheelman
05-01-2009, 09:41

yes you should stradle your tank while your filling it :)

YouTube - Get off. The nuclear. Warhead. NOW! (From Armageddon) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs9XRy4i1IE)

ndv21
05-01-2009, 09:50
LMAO!!!!!! i had forgotten about that! Looks like Rockhound has the opposite effect of being narc'd? What would you call that in space?