PDA

View Full Version : Suunto v other brands

azdiver
04-26-2009, 09:05
Am waiting to find out if my gekko is dead or can be brought back to life. I have used a suunto computer since 1989 but they're a heck of a lot more to chose from now then when I bought my first one back then. :smiley36:

I just spent $$ on a new bp/w system and was really hoping not to buy a new computer just yet... actually was going to get one next year and use the gekko as a backup.

Sooo... if I do have to get one now am looking for recommendations as to buying a different brand or sticking with a suunto. Since my funds are somewhat limited now I don't think I can make the switch to a transmitter (unless one of you has a phenomenal deal to offer).

Let's keep the suggestions to either a puck type since I have a spg and boot or to an ai with a quick disconnect option.

Here's hoping I do get good news this week and my gekko comes back to life.

cbope
04-26-2009, 13:58
I am slightly biased, but I really like my Suunto D6. It doesn't have the transmitter so it's a lot cheaper than a D9 w/transmitter. I also like the Vyper 2 which is very similar in functionality to the D6, but I prefer to have a watch-sized computer. The new Vyper Air looks very nice too but I haven't played with one yet.

rawalker
04-26-2009, 14:05
If a inexpensive Nitrox computer is what you want them the Mares M2 is a great value and best of all it has a water tight battery compartment that uses standard Alkaline AA batteries.
Another great feature is that it's backlight can be set to stay on during your dive which is a sweet feature during a night dive.
The con is it uses the very conservative RGBM model.
Otherwise my preference is Oceanic computers. Oceanic models can be set to be more conservative if needed. They automatically adjust for altitude. If you are looking at wireless in the future I prefer the way Oceanic wireless computers get preprogrammed with the transmitter number compared to other brands that seek a nearby transmitter.
Even if this is not the time for you to get a AI computer purchasing a computer that uses the same algorithm as the AI computer you may purchase down the road will be helpful if you use the computer you purchase now as a backup in the future.

plot
04-26-2009, 14:22
I switched from suuntu to oceanic. My oceanic is alot more complicated to use, but it also does alot more things.

The main reason I switched was becuase the suuntu was way to conservative on repetative dives... killed my bottom times on 100 foot ocean dives by the second day, if not the second dive. Some people say being more conservative is better... but I'd like to be in charge of it myself, and not have my computer lock me out for 24 hours. After the switch though, I can definitly say I like my oceanic alot better than my suuntu vyper (now a backup computer).

azdiver
04-26-2009, 15:32
I switched from suuntu to oceanic. My oceanic is alot more complicated to use, but it also does alot more things.

The main reason I switched was becuase the suuntu was way to conservative on repetative dives... killed my bottom times on 100 foot ocean dives by the second day, if not the second dive. ).

Interesting about you having issues with repetitive dives. I have not had that problem... getting locked out killing bottom time. I have done 3-4 dives a day for 5-6 days straight (with a few deco dives in between) and never had that happen to me. However oceanic was one of the other brands I was looking into getting if I do make the switch.

plot
04-26-2009, 15:41
We were doing ~100 foot dives with 2 hour surface intervals, having lots of issues of no bottom time by the 2nd, 3rd days. My dive buddy had an oceanic, and he had 10 more minutes than me on one of our dives even though I had been staying a few feet above him. A few weeks later we checked plan mode just to see how they compared, on the first dive we had identical amount of bottom time at x depth. on the second dive in plan mode there was a huge difference.

That's when I was mad enough to make the switch. I didn't wanna travel 1000 miles to dive just to get screwed out of my precious few minutes by my dive computer. :)

We could do 60 foot dives all day long.

That's the reason I switched. Now even with my normal freshwater weekend diving where bottom time on repetative dives is never an issue, I still love my oceanic alot better.

azdiver
04-26-2009, 16:00
sorry to hear that... have never had that problem. i'm usually one of the first in and the last up. my dive profile bounces a lot due to my photography subjects for each dive.

paperdesk
04-26-2009, 17:20
My wife's Sunto is much more conservative than my Sherwood Wisdom or other brands of computers we've compared it to. It's not a problem on every dive, but several times it has been a real pain. I wouldn't consider getting a Sunto just because of this issue. Otherwise I think they're fantastic. BTW, I love my AI Wisdom 1, can't speak to the Wisdom 2. Good luck!

FoxHound
04-26-2009, 17:40
Oceanic are good computers, i have a VEO180 and it does everything i need, large and easy to read also nitrox up to 40%. Im pretty sure you can pick one up for about 200 dollars. I also have a more expensive nemo wide, i really like that one as the buttons are super easy to use and the display is huge and extremely easy to read.