PDA

View Full Version : What to take when traveling?

JugglingMonkeys
08-23-2007, 22:01
I go on business trips a lot.
and will often have a day that i could do some diving in.

what would be the order of preference for taking my own stuff?
just for a one day dive?

wetsuit first perhaps?
my computer is small.
then what?

thanks

chewyjr15
08-23-2007, 22:01
i assume your own bc as you are used to it

NitroWill
08-23-2007, 22:06
Take as much as you can comfortably take! The more you can bring - the less you have to rely on an LDS to rent. Id say BCD, Regs, and Mask at a minimum - but what do I know - I never have to fly to the beach :p

RECDiver
08-23-2007, 23:33
I agree with NitroWill. Take what you are comfortable using. If you have a dive op in mind at the location, look into what they have to rent. I would take Mask, Fins, regulator if I am restricted for room in the luggage.

chewyjr15
08-24-2007, 00:11
i would take mask fins reg and maybe a wetsuit you can have 2 checked bags so bring what your comfortable shlepping adn also know what kinda gear is available to rent you may not like it and want to bring your own stuff.

subsur
08-24-2007, 01:50
if it's just a day of diving, maybe i'd rent most of the stuff, depends on where you are going and dive shop density in the area. i'd definitely take my mask, reg, computer and boots.

CharlieSierra
08-24-2007, 02:15
I like taking my own life support systems - I take BC, reg, & computer if I can fit it in my suitcase. Anything more than a couple of days and I'll try to get the wet suit and mask in too.

RobT
08-24-2007, 05:20
For warm water diving I can fit everything in one medium sized carry on bag. I'd take it all. I use a backplate and wings though which take up much less space than a jacket style bcd. That is also using only a 3 mm wetsuit. Cold water diving would take up much more space.

deepdiver47
08-24-2007, 07:12
When I go on my biz trips overseas I take all of my gear.
For me it all about comfort and safety so I want the same feel and performance from every dive. Here is quick breakdown:

1) Soft duffel: Basically a 60 cu ft wheeled soft duffel.

a) top section of bag: boots, 2 masks (in their cases), 1 wet suits (1 mm and 3 mm)
b) middle section: Zeagle ranger BCD: Enclosed in a heavy duty plastic bag that is rolled with 2 bungee type fasteners. 1 set of fins will straddle this on the sides
c) lower: a small wet bad with misc gear, small towels, batteries, first aid kit etc
d) on top of all this is summer clothes (t****s,shorts flip flops and a hat)

This bag dry weighs in at roughly 55 lbs (I am a platinum member of CO so bag weight doesn't matter)

2) 22" carry on:
a) a regulator bag with my Zeagle 50D reg, 2 wrist computers, my SS1, 2 dive lights.
b) cameras (land and UW)
c) clothes for my work week

3) Backpack: laptop, passport ipod, headphones. What I need on the plane

I have been doing this for 4 years now. It is a hassle to walk with this gear but once you
step in the water for the first time, it is all worth it.

JugglingMonkeys
08-24-2007, 07:43
When I go on my biz trips overseas I take all of my gear.
For me it all about comfort and safety so I want the same feel and performance from every dive. Here is quick breakdown:

a) top section of bag: boots, 2 masks (in their cases), 1 wet suits (1 mm and 3 mm)
b) middle section: Zeagle ranger BCD: Enclosed in a heavy duty plastic bag that is rolled with 2 bungee type fasteners. 1 set of fins will straddle this on the sides
c) lower: a small wet bad with misc gear, small towels, batteries, first aid kit etc
d) on top of all this is summer clothes (t****s,shorts flip flops and a hat)

This bag dry weighs in at roughly 55 lbs (I am a platinum member of CO so bag weight doesn't matter)

2) 22" carry on:
a) a regulator bag with my Zeagle 50D reg, 2 wrist computers, my SS1, 2 dive lights.
b) cameras (land and UW)
c) clothes for my work week

3) Backpack: laptop, passport ipod, headphones. What I need on the plane

I have been doing this for 4 years now. It is a hassle to walk with this gear but once you
step in the water for the first time, it is all worth it.

Great set up! And very well organized.

quarrydiver
08-24-2007, 19:05
I'm for taking it all along. Get yourself a good wheeled bag and check it at the curb to eliminate some grief.

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 06:24

are you sure it's 60 cu ft?
that's huge!

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 06:29
That is huge. must be 6. the most usable dimensions would have to be 5ftx3ftx2ft and thats monstrous. :smiley2:

Illini_Fan
08-25-2007, 06:38

are you sure it's 60 cu ft?
that's huge!

I'm sure it is compressed like air in a tank :)

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 06:46
Ahhh I see it fits 60 cu of stuff. not it is that when you measure. How do you compress your luggage. I use my booty! Sit and zip! :smiley36:

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 07:15
That is huge. must be 6. the most usable dimensions would have to be 5ftx3ftx2ft and thats monstrous. :smiley2:

6 cu ft would be 10,368 cubic inches.

deepdiver47
08-25-2007, 11:40
I'm sorry guys, it 58 cu inches, Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-WalkAbout-30-Rolling-Duffel/dp/B000OTNJR8

I paid just over $100 for it ~5 years ago
What I had said before would be a body bag or two.

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 15:30
Cool!
thanks

ebags also have it for the same price: $130 shipped.

deepdiver47
08-25-2007, 15:32
ebags is where I bought mine as well. That is a great place to buy a bag

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 15:43
I checked United and the max size bag is 62 inches/158cm (length + width + height). Domestic and International. So, at 58", this is right up there.

Weight limits apply of course: 50 pounds/23kg each. But if you're nice at check-in you can often get around that.

georoc01
08-25-2007, 16:20
I have a 50" bag that I use for my gear. The weight comes down to 44lbs on the way out, 47 on the way back (for some reason, its never totally dry and gains weight on the return.

My travel challenge is my next trip is a liveaboard where are allowance is 1 bag 44lbs total for a week. We have a small plane flight to the boat. The trip does include all rental gear as necessary.

I'm going to a lighter bag and dropping my BCD, which I think will give me enough weight for the clothes I will need for the week. If that doesn't get my down far enough, fins may be next.

porsche060
08-25-2007, 19:12
I go on business trips a lot.
and will often have a day that i could do some diving in.

what would be the order of preference for taking my own stuff?
just for a one day dive?

wetsuit first perhaps?
my computer is small.
then what?

thanks

i would prefer brining bc.. wetsuit fails no issue. bc rental fails, got an issue

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 19:24
Anyone ever gotten everything they need to dive and stay a week in two carry-ons (one small and one big)? I'm talking wetsuit (3/2), boots, gloves,mask,snorkel,reg,bc,fins and clothes and toiletries (minimal).

JugglingMonkeys
09-05-2007, 03:31
What do you do about weights when travelling?

Do you take them for a weight-integrated BC?
or just rent them at the location?