PDA

View Full Version : What computer do you recommend?

neogeo
04-29-2009, 14:02
What dive computer do you recommend and why? Whats the price range? What features does it have? I ask because I am going to be purchasing one soon.

crgjpg
04-29-2009, 14:28
My wife and I have Oceanic VT3. We got them from Scuba Toys. They were Demos so we got a very good price on them. They were have more features than we were looking for at the time but because of the deal they were a little bit more than what were going to pay. They are AI and Nitrox. It has the ability to track three different tanks or if you buddy has a transmitter you can see how much air you buddy has left. I am sure I am missing features that I can think of off the top of my head.

3rdEye
04-29-2009, 14:31
^ I second the VT3...

if you're looking for a hosed option, I had (actually still have and am looking to sell) an Aeris Atmos AI

both are easy to use (and similar interfaces), and offer robust feature set. It's nice to have all the info you need in one place.

neogeo
04-29-2009, 14:35
^ I second the VT3...

if you're looking for a hosed option, I had (actually still have and am looking to sell) an Aeris Atmos AI

I am diving doubles, not looking for AI computer, but multi gases would be nice.

dly2k1
04-29-2009, 14:37
3rdEye it so happens that I am goiing to Dallas on July 1st and was planning on stopping in at ST to pick a Aeris Atmos AI for my wife (I have the VT3)
A) Is yours still for sale?
B) Does it have the compass?
C) Does it have the QD?
D) How old is it?
E) Will you sell it to me in Canada?
F) How much?

Thank you.

3rdEye
04-29-2009, 14:41
^ I second the VT3...

I am diving doubles, not looking for AI computer, but multi gases would be nice.

I think Compudude dives a VT3 on his doubles setup. I believe it can be used for switching between different mixes, but I'll defer to the tech dudes on that.

3rdEye
04-29-2009, 14:43
3rdEye it so happens that I am goiing to Dallas on July 1st and was planning on stopping in at ST to pick a Aeris Atmos AI for my wife (I have the VT3)
A) Is yours still for sale?
B) Does it have the compass?
C) Does it have the QD?
D) How old is it?
E) Will you sell it to me in Canada?
F) How much?

Thank you.

here's my original thread putting it out there...PM me and we can probably work something out :)

http://forum.scubatoys.com/used-stuff-sale/21275-fs-aeris-atmos-ai.html

jj1987
04-29-2009, 15:49
This is just me, but I prefer a bottom timer over a computer for any multi gas OR recreational diving, as do most of my dive buddies. I'd highly suggest discussing this with your current instructors before purchasing a computer. It allows divers to modify deco to fit THEIR individual and environmental needs rather than a default algorithm on a computer.

Some computers lock you out if you miss 2 minutes of deco for 48 hours, rendering useless for the rest of the trip, some bring you to 20ft immediately and punish deep stops (ie "bend then mend" profiles), some (namely nitek duo) give random deco times when the battery goes low, give different deco than the rest of your dive team, and various other annoying (to me) things.

fire diver
04-29-2009, 15:57
I would recommend the Zeagle version of the DiveRite Nitek Duo. Same computer but with a better warranty. There is also a Nitek trio but I have no experience with this.

The Duo is a great computer, mutli-gas nitrox, will do deco, and can be set for use as a bottom timer. It will also fit into a DSS wrist boot. It also has a large display and a backlight, so it's easy to use.

neogeo
04-29-2009, 16:11
This is just me, but I prefer a bottom timer over a computer for any multi gas OR recreational diving, as do most of my dive buddies. I'd highly suggest discussing this with your current instructors before purchasing a computer. It allows divers to modify deco to fit THEIR individual and environmental needs rather than a default algorithm on a computer.

Some computers lock you out if you miss 2 minutes of deco for 48 hours, rendering useless for the rest of the trip, some bring you to 20ft immediately and punish deep stops (ie "bend then mend" profiles), some (namely nitek duo) give random deco times when the battery goes low, give different deco than the rest of your dive team, and various other annoying (to me) things.

Thanks I was actually debating the Duo, your not the first to recommend a bottom timer... I actually know nothing about a bottom timer except it tells depth, dive time, and temp. Correct? Meaning I would have to remember my dive tables and deco obligations?

rustyshakelford
04-29-2009, 16:20

Thanks I was actually debating the Duo, your not the first to recommend a bottom timer... I actually know nothing about a bottom timer except it tells depth, dive time, and temp. Correct? Meaning I would have to remember my dive tables and deco obligations?

i would strongly recommend you writing your dive plan on a wrist slate or wet notes at the minimum. have you taken any tech classes yet? alot of this will be covered in them.

as for computers, i dive a shearwater persuit and love it so far. i only have it unlocked for nitrox but plan on taking trimix in the near future and will purchase the upgrade at that time.

brett

fire diver
04-29-2009, 16:24

Bottom timers aren't really needed if you are running rec profiles, unless you just want a back-up. Bottom timers ARE needed if you are running deco profiles with tables.

neogeo
04-29-2009, 16:37

i would strongly recommend you writing your dive plan on a wrist slate or wet notes at the minimum. have you taken any tech classes yet? alot of this will be covered in them.

as for computers, i dive a shearwater persuit and love it so far. i only have it unlocked for nitrox but plan on taking trimix in the near future and will purchase the upgrade at that time.

brett

That actually came to my head after I posted!

IndyDiver
04-29-2009, 17:09

You may want to look at the Scubapro/Uwatec Tec 2g. It handles two gasses and has some very nice logging software included with it. The interface is infrared, so you don't have to buy an expensive data transfer cable (if you don't have a laptop with infrared, a USB adapter for a PC is about $25)

The computer runs a standard buhlman algorithm for calculating NDL and safety stops. However, it also has various settings to add deep stops to the standard algorithm. When I tried it, it added a stop at 30 feet and one at 20 feet for a 70 foot dive.

If you want to calculate your own times, it has a very nice gauge mode that includes dive time, max depth, average depth, and a re-settable stopwatch.

texdiveguy
04-29-2009, 17:37
The Nitek Duo is a great computer that will meet all your diving needs. :)

sapperw5
04-29-2009, 18:51
dont know how good it would be for doubles but i dive with a datamax proplus2. i love it. if you want a hosed option i think its really nice. the vt's and the geo are nice too if you want watch type. i have never dove tehm butmy buddy dives a vt3. just my 2 cents

neogeo
04-29-2009, 19:21
The Nitek Duo is a great computer that will meet all your diving needs. :)
Thanks tex and everyone elses opinion I think I will get a computer and eventually a bottom timer as a back up.

jj1987
04-29-2009, 20:51

I would strongly suggest waiting until you talk with your instructor to buy any computer or bottom timer. I know you ranted in the last thread about how everyone can take DIR and shove it, but they have some good ideas, and their stance on computers is, IMO, a good one. I would search "bend and mend dive computers" and do some reading.

To quote dive rite's post on SB-
ScubaBoard - View Single Post - Nitek-X Question (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3102750-post2.html)

The NiTek DUO and NiTek Plus use modified Buhlmann ZH-L16 algorithm with no gradient factors (pure Buhlmann)I guess you'll have to decide if this is a profile you want to dive or not. I strongly suggest reading this article before making that decision (I wish I would have, as I had to sell my DUO after learning after the fact)-
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ddplan.com%2Freference%2Fdeep stop.pdf&ei=PQr5SefxMcaFtgfj7d2oDw&usg=AFQjCNHe1xDJdZNxt1h-B5skEqTXSPWl7Q

fire diver
04-29-2009, 21:23
JJ, that is great info you posted the link to. I don't dispute the reasoning, but the application. I wouldn't want to rely on the computer for decompression profiles unless it was some type of emergency that wasn't planned on. I think this is why this computer is great for use as a bottom timer with dedicated tables cut for the planned dive.

In a slight sidetrack, I understand the trio uses a different algorithm that takes deep stops into account. Have you heard anything about the update?

neogeo
04-29-2009, 21:26

I would strongly suggest waiting until you talk with your instructor to buy any computer or bottom timer. I know you ranted in the last thread about how everyone can take DIR and shove it, but they have some good ideas, and their stance on computers is, IMO, a good one. I would search "bend and mend dive computers" and do some reading.

To quote dive rite's post on SB-
ScubaBoard - View Single Post - Nitek-X Question (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/3102750-post2.html)

The NiTek DUO and NiTek Plus use modified Buhlmann ZH-L16 algorithm with no gradient factors (pure Buhlmann)I guess you'll have to decide if this is a profile you want to dive or not. I strongly suggest reading this article before making that decision (I wish I would have, as I had to sell my DUO after learning after the fact)-
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ddplan.com%2Freference%2Fdeep stop.pdf&ei=PQr5SefxMcaFtgfj7d2oDw&usg=AFQjCNHe1xDJdZNxt1h-B5skEqTXSPWl7Q

Hey thanks JJ, I appreciate your input. I was having a super bad day when I said that... So for anyone who is DIR and reading I take take it back. I do agree there are some good ideas/opinions. I will definatly read into it and call the instructor I am taking my Deep Diver course through and get his opinion.

jj1987
04-29-2009, 21:36
JJ, that is great info you posted the link to. I don't dispute the reasoning, but the application. I wouldn't want to rely on the computer for decompression profiles unless it was some type of emergency that wasn't planned on. I think this is why this computer is great for use as a bottom timer with dedicated tables cut for the planned dive.

In a slight sidetrack, I understand the trio uses a different algorithm that takes deep stops into account. Have you heard anything about the update?
The tables are 99% of the time are NOT going to match the computer. There's a real good chance that tables will place you deeper/longer and shallower/shorter, and you'll bend a computer that doesn't take into account for deep stops. You can easily "bend" a computer on a perfectly safe ascent rate.

If a computer fails half way through the deco, let's say at your 30ft stop (assume it's your first), with a 20ft/10ft to go that the times aren't shown on the screen yet, and your tables start at 50ft, what are you going to do? You don't have enough deco gas to start over (not that it would be a good idea, even if you did). Even with 2 computers, the two profiles may not match unless they're the same brand/model, and calibrated the same....And, if you're using a buddy as your "backup" computer, unless you've dove with the same person the entire day, even that won't work.

I think a computer that runs the exact same profile as your precut emergency tables could work, such as the newer vr3, x1, etc, but if you're still averaging depth in your head, cutting tables for each dive, etc, in case the computer fails like you should, I don't really see what the extra $$$ for a computer gets you....and as a downside, you've now added in the PITA of managing 2 ascent profiles at once.

And then there's the issue that lots of computers don't have dive planning software that allow you to run their profiles and calculate deco gas requirements, so if anything goes wrong, you could be in for a surprise.

Like I say, ask your instructor as he/she are who ultimately matters, but that's my logic behind not using a computer.

neogeo
04-29-2009, 21:50
He actually said something about Sunnto computers, the D9 I believe...

How would a pressure transmitter work with double tanks?

jj1987
04-29-2009, 22:02
How would a pressure transmitter work with double tanks?
The same way it works with single tanks, assuming you're diving manifold doubles. I think you'll find yet again however, that these gimmicks aren't at all needed by someone who's starting this type of diving (considering all the other expenses you're going to have), as you really don't check your gas supplies that often.

Lots of diving is going to be time limited (boat restrictions, deco gas limitations, comfort level and not exceeding x # of minutes you're willing to hold a stop, leaving room for a 2nd dive of the day without tons of deco, etc). Since dives are often time limited, and you'd hear a rapid loss of gas, constant monitoring of pressure isn't really needed.

It looks like the D9 costs $1000 and replaces a $65 spg, dive planning software like vplanner (or ratio deco-- if your instructor teaches it), and a $150 bottom timer.

You'd think as your experience and interest in diving grows, you justify spending more money on diving "convenience" items. I've found however that the more I dive, the more I want a 2nd set of doubles, scooter, more stages, etc, and less I care about items such as a wireless transmitter. As you're soon to find out, these devices quickly become a crutch that divers rely on, and really offer little to no advantage in the long run-- I bet you'll enjoy a dive with a BT and SPG for $200 just as much as a dive where you used a $1000 transmitter/computer. I'd take the difference in price and put it towards a dive trip!

neogeo
04-29-2009, 22:14
I'm not saying I wanted a transmitter computer just curious of how it would work.

navyhmc
04-29-2009, 22:17
I'm not saying I wanted a transmitter computer just curious of how it would work.

It would work the same as a transmitter on a single tank. That is until you have a problem and have to shut down that tank. Then you lose your transmitted pressure.

jj1987
04-29-2009, 22:28

It would work the same as a transmitter on a single tank. That is until you have a problem and have to shut down that tank. Then you lose your transmitted pressure.
Which (just to clarify for neogeo), you would be surfacing at that point, and you always have an isolated source of gas (buddy, buddy bottle, etc) that has enough to get you to the surface safely, so it's irrelevant. I guess it works just like an SPG. I guess you could have two SPG's, but clipping/unclipping something on the right side risks trapping the long hose, so I can't imagine anyone doing that.

I know, I was just sharing why I haven't got one :)

fire diver
04-29-2009, 22:44

The tables are 99% of the time are NOT going to match the computer. There's a real good chance that tables will place you deeper/longer and shallower/shorter, and you'll bend a computer that doesn't take into account for deep stops. You can easily "bend" a computer on a perfectly safe ascent rate.

If a computer fails half way through the deco, let's say at your 30ft stop (assume it's your first), with a 20ft/10ft to go that the times aren't shown on the screen yet, and your tables start at 50ft, what are you going to do? You don't have enough deco gas to start over (not that it would be a good idea, even if you did). Even with 2 computers, the two profiles may not match unless they're the same brand/model, and calibrated the same....And, if you're using a buddy as your "backup" computer, unless you've dove with the same person the entire day, even that won't work.

I think a computer that runs the exact same profile as your precut emergency tables could work, such as the newer vr3, x1, etc, but if you're still averaging depth in your head, cutting tables for each dive, etc, in case the computer fails like you should, I don't really see what the extra $$$ for a computer gets you....and as a downside, you've now added in the PITA of managing 2 ascent profiles at once.

And then there's the issue that lots of computers don't have dive planning software that allow you to run their profiles and calculate deco gas requirements, so if anything goes wrong, you could be in for a surprise.

Like I say, ask your instructor as he/she are who ultimately matters, but that's my logic behind not using a computer.

This is why I said that deco should be done with a bottom timer and tables. If my tables said first stop was at 50 for "x" minutes, thats what I am doing. I have read the battle field calcs docs, but I'm not at a place in my diving where I can do tht in my head yet. (More laziness than ability, plus all my deco is extremely limited)

medicdiver
04-29-2009, 22:53
Man I had a long post it the forum timed me out. So in short, talk with your instructor and let him know what you goals for diving will be. There are a lot of computers out there and if you plan on getting into deco diving you need to figure out what type you plan on doing. If you plan on doing it the DIR way then 2 bottom timer's will work but if you like the ability of a computer to change you deco schedule because you busted it then you will need to look at the more expensive ones.
I plan on getting the x1 when I can afford it. I have seen it used on 2 deco dives and I like how it adjust. It has the ability to be programmed with the V-planner live which is the program that I have on my desk top.
I'll give more info later. I'm at work and am getting a call.