PDA

View Full Version : UFC

dmdoss
08-23-2007, 22:29
Do you watch UFC? If so who's your favorite fighter?

mwhities
08-23-2007, 22:30
I do!!! I do!!! I do!!! I do!!! I do!!! I do!!! I do!!!

Ice Man!

Going to my nephew's house to watch the fight Saturday night. :)

Michael

dmdoss
08-23-2007, 22:50
Well I guess my current favorite is Randy. Gotta favor the old man of the bunch.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-23-2007, 22:53
Well I guess my current favorite is Randy. Gotta favor the old man of the bunch.

randys a solid fighter but you got to worry about him in his next fight, its not going to be against tim the ***** cat but a real hungry looking fighter who has a solid ground game and awsome striking. remember when he kicked crocops head just about off :smiley26:

*I guess kitty is a swear (well the way i spelt it)*

thesmoothdome
08-23-2007, 23:03
Gonazaga caught a wobbly Crocop after beating on him for 3 minutes on the ground. The same will not happen with Cotoure. Will Randy win? I hope so, but even with his superior wrestling, he's giving up the BJJ side of things on the ground and probably speed on their feet.

As for my favorite fighter, it's hard to say. I really like guys who'll stand there and bang, but I really appreciate the energy it takes to fight on the ground. I loved Tito Ortiz's coaching on the TUF3, but hate his mouth. I really enjoyed Jens Pulver on TUF5 and was really disappointed by BJ's dominance of him at the finale. If I had to pick a fighter who I'm pulling for more than others, I'd say Rich Franklin because he taught high school and Randy Cotoure because of his great history and forthright attitude.

dmdoss
08-23-2007, 23:11
Yeah I thought his head was going to pop off. I'm worried about that fight. I still wish they would get rid of rounds, and just let them go at it until somebody wins.

randys a solid fighter but you got to worry about him in his next fight, its not going to be against tim the ***** cat but a real hungry looking fighter who has a solid ground game and awsome striking. remember when he kicked crocops head just about off :smiley26:

*I guess kitty is a swear (well the way i spelt it)*

DivingsInMyBlood
08-23-2007, 23:12
bisping looks like an interesting up and coming fighter.

thesmoothdome
08-23-2007, 23:15
Oh...just some more...I've got a hell a lot of respect for Josh Koscheck. I mean anyone who goes 41-0 in NCAA D1 wrestling deserves our respect. He showed a great game in beating Diego Sanchez's ass as well. Exciting? Naw, but for a wrestler, his stand up was phenomenal.

Brandon Vera, a San Diego boy, is a monster as well. It's too bad that he and City Boxing split.

Terry Martin looks tough at 185. He also has a masters degree in psychology :)....Just showing the brainy side of the sport.

Anderson Silva looks soooo tough, but like Franklin (at least he better), I think there are holes in his game. He looked good on the ground against Marquartte and he definately looked good on his feet against Franklin. I think Franklin is going have to out-box Silva in the early rounds before allowing the fight to get body to body. Obviously, I'm a Franklin fan. I have a ton of respect for Silva though, but as we've learned this year, no one is unbeatable.

thesmoothdome
08-23-2007, 23:16
bisping looks like an interesting up and coming fighter.

I like Bisping a lot, but he's fighting Matt Hammill next month, and I have to go with the wrestler in that one :).

dmdoss
08-23-2007, 23:21
Josh Koscheck does look like he's going to be tough.

Krakenn
08-24-2007, 07:56
What is UFC?
Is is wrestling?

Kraks

TAH 73
08-24-2007, 08:12
What is UFC?
Is is wrestling?

Kraks

I'ts essentially a barroom brawl in a cage. Minimal rules, minimal gear (smallish gloves) and there's a mix of fighting styles, either mixed martial arts, grapplers (wrestling style, depending on submissions), and a few other styles.

I used to watch it back in the Gracy days, but now it's gotten to commercial, god they even made a reality TV show using it.

cummings66
08-24-2007, 12:23
I'll bet it's all fake too. Just like normal wrestling. I saw an interview once with some big name wrestler who admitted it's scripted. Killed it for me.

Give me something real and I might be interested. Frankly I've got better things to do than to watch a fake show.

jeraldjcook
08-24-2007, 12:25
UFC fake? No way.

Favorite: Cabbage, his head is like a rock.

chefchris
08-24-2007, 13:06
UFC? Is that the Ultimate Warrior Fights Catholic Incredible Hulk league?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/christoomany/UFC.jpg

Ya, I like that.

thesmoothdome
08-24-2007, 13:07
What is UFC?
Is is wrestling?

Kraks

I'ts essentially a barroom brawl in a cage. Minimal rules, minimal gear (smallish gloves) and there's a mix of fighting styles, either mixed martial arts, grapplers (wrestling style, depending on submissions), and a few other styles.

I used to watch it back in the Gracy days, but now it's gotten to commercial, god they even made a reality TV show using it.

It's about as far from a barroom brawl as you can get. In the old days, the UFC was started to answer the age old question "which fighting style was the best?" It was crazy stuff. You had boxers with 1 glove on, 400 pound guys fighting guys who weight 160, "tough guys" without training, etc. The winner of the first 4 contests was Royce Gracie, a 160-70 pound Brazillian Jui Jitsu practicioner, who was able to put these guys in situations they had never experienced, and using leverage against joints and choke holds, subdue much larger opponents.

Let's fast forward to today. There are a ton of rules and weight classes as well as time limits. There are 2 basic types of fighting going on during a UFC contest.

First, you have the stand up game, it's largely a mixture of boxing and Muy Thai. You'll see an occassional Tae Kwon Do style kick, a Judo take down, and some of the other martial arts techniques as well, but mainly, boxing and Muy Thai. The stance they used is modified for UFC fighting though. Since they're at risk of being taken to the ground, they can't use a traditional boxing stance.

The 2nd type of fighting is the ground game. This has aspects of wrestling and Brazillian Jui Jitsu in it. It used to be that if a stand up style fighter hit the ground, the fight was practically over. Today, even the worst UFC level fighter has a decent background in wrestling and BJJ. Even with the fight on the ground, strikes are still allowed, so the competitors need to watch for punches and elbows while jockying for position and submission holds.

Fights are 3 5 minute rounds (5 rounds for championship fights) and can be won by knockout, tap out, or judges decision.

As for being fake? That's completely laughable. What you're watching is 2 well trained, dedicated athletes putting it all on the line to determine who is the better fighter that evening. Pro wrestling it is not. While a few NCAA heavyweights (Brock Lesnar for one) have made the jump to the fake stuff, there's a lot more NCAA wrestlers who are transitioning to MMA now because it allows them to continue to compete and that's all they know how to do. Guys who fight for a living are wired a little differently than you and I. The competition is what's important and pro wrestling would not satisfy that need.

georoc01
08-24-2007, 14:58
I'd say that traditional boxing seems to have had more fixed fights than what I have seen with UFC. If it was fixed, Rampage Jackson would have never won his fight after all the build up for Chuck Liddell going into that fight.

Although a lady friend of mine has a theory that seems to ring true. Why is it that the guy who dyes his hair always loses? Is that he is trying to stand out to make up for his lack of fighting skills?

UFC 74 tomorrow night, Mandalay Bay. If I knew Dean was going to hit Cozumel, I would have headed to Vegas this weekend.

thesmoothdome
08-24-2007, 15:11
I was at Mandalay Bay for the Lidell/Sobral fight last summer. I was a bit disappointed in our ability to see the fight. The camera men position themselves BETWEEN the posts, cutting down the viewing area substantially. It's fun being there, but definately better viewing on the big screen at home.

3rdEye
08-24-2007, 15:20
I saw an interview once with some big name wrestler who admitted it's scripted. Killed it for me.

lol....is that what tipped you off that pro wrestling was fake?

UFC is definitely not fake

mpd525
08-24-2007, 16:19
I'm a fan of Chris Leben, and Robbie Lawler, and you can't go wrong with country boy matt hughes, and i really like Rich Frankin, seems like a really normal guy that just happens to beat the sweet jesus out of people for money.

but i got Randy tom. night.

kevinj1
08-24-2007, 16:28
I'm a big Rich Franklin fan, even after the beating he just received. Iceman is also entertaining to watch...

ertechsg
08-24-2007, 16:32
Tito(Huntington Bad Boy) all the way I like the attitude. Beside look who he dates :smiley32:
Randy is going to have his hands full sat night though.

cummings66
08-24-2007, 17:40
OK, I'll watch one and see what it looks like. If it's real then I might enjoy it, I just got turned off by other televised sports.

thesmoothdome
08-24-2007, 17:46
The reality show has gotten very stale and the fighters they bring in create their own drama in order to get face time. The fighting however is all real. These guys train their butts off. It takes a lifetime to master 1 discipline. These guys are attempting to master multiple styles of fighting just to keep up with the competition. If you're a fan of combat sports you'll enjoy the UFC.

Black-Gorrilla
08-24-2007, 17:51
randy is going down!!

thesmoothdome
08-24-2007, 18:22
Just watched the weigh ins. Thales Leities, fighting on the undercard, didn't make weight. He's got 2 hours to drop the last 2 pounds. Shouldn't be a problem.

As for Cotoure/Gonzaga, my biggest worry for Randy is that he's giving up 22 pounds to Gonzaga and with the fight on the ground for 25 minutes, that's a long time to be giving up that much weight. I'm still gonna pull hard for Capt. America though.

dmdoss
08-24-2007, 21:47
Oh its all real. You wont have any doubts after watching one.
OK, I'll watch one and see what it looks like. If it's real then I might enjoy it, I just got turned off by other televised sports.

Black-Gorrilla
08-24-2007, 21:50
Just watched the weigh ins. Thales Leities, fighting on the undercard, didn't make weight. He's got 2 hours to drop the last 2 pounds. Shouldn't be a problem.

As for Cotoure/Gonzaga, my biggest worry for Randy is that he's giving up 22 pounds to Gonzaga and with the fight on the ground for 25 minutes, that's a long time to be giving up that much weight. I'm still gonna pull hard for Capt. America though.

you're gonna have to pull really hard!! really hard. get some friends to help... cause you gotta pull against a bunch of brasilians!!

dmdoss
08-24-2007, 22:06
The Royce Gracie days where my favorite, no rounds or time limit. Beat each other till somebody taps or get knocked out.

kevinj1
08-24-2007, 23:06
randy is going down!!

Easy Gorrilla--never underestimate Capt. America buddy

Black-Gorrilla
08-24-2007, 23:08
randy is going down!!

Easy Gorrilla--never underestimate Capt. America buddy

i never underestimate... but i know gabriel will bring the pain!!
so as state before..

RANDY IS GOING DOWN!!

thesmoothdome
08-24-2007, 23:57
I honestly hope that Randy can drag this out to the 4th or 5th round. Gonzaga doesn't look like he's in that phenomenal shape you need to go for 25 minutes. I really do worry that Randy will get caught on the ground early though. As Randy himself has said, BJJ is his weakness and Gonzaga can definately beat him there. Being a wrestler though, Randy needs to keep it on the ground, keep the pace up and ground and pound until Gonzaga gasses.

dmdoss
08-25-2007, 01:14
I honestly hope that Randy can drag this out to the 4th or 5th round. Gonzaga doesn't look like he's in that phenomenal shape you need to go for 25 minutes. I really do worry that Randy will get caught on the ground early though. As Randy himself has said, BJJ is his weakness and Gonzaga can definately beat him there. Being a wrestler though, Randy needs to keep it on the ground, keep the pace up and ground and pound until Gonzaga gasses.

I got my fingers crossed for Randy.

thesmoothdome
08-25-2007, 19:41
An hour and half until PPV starts :).

DivingsInMyBlood
08-25-2007, 19:44
:smilie40: COME ON RANDY, YOU CAN DO IT!!!
wish I had the ppv channel, I'm too lazy to go out to the bar to watch it tonight. :smiley13:

thesmoothdome
08-25-2007, 20:27
ufcjunkie.com does live updates and is pretty timely if you really want the blow by blow. Otherwise I'll be doing mini-updates as each telivised fight takes place :).

Black-Gorrilla
08-25-2007, 20:38
I'm at the bar with my brother, posting from my treo.
can wait for it to start.
i'll post results as it goes

thesmoothdome
08-25-2007, 22:00
First fight: My boy Kendall Grove gets his block knocked off by Canada's Patrick Cote towards the end of the first round. Pretty even match until Cote catches Grove right behind the ear with a right hand. Grove hit the deck and Cote pounded out the win.

Second fight: Joe Daddy Stevenson and Kurt Pelligrino battled on the ground for 13 1/2 minutes with Stevenson stopping Pelligrino with strikes late in the 3rd round. Great technical battle, but Pelligrino looked gassed in the 2nd round.

thesmoothdome
08-25-2007, 22:26
Roger Huerta is a robot. 12 minutes of fighting and he's not even breathing hard. Gotta hand it to Alberto Crane. He's got a great BJJ game. Gassing early definately didn't help, but Huerta was in such superior condition that I don't think it would have mattered if you put a Abrams tank in against him. Awesome job!

thesmoothdome
08-25-2007, 22:57
GSP just spent 3 rounds taking down Josh Koscheck at will and controlling the ground game. Disappointing for the wrestlers, but GSP is a quality guy who is nothing but class. I don't think this will kill Kos, but GSP definately needed this.

porsche060
08-25-2007, 23:01
How much does it cost to watch UFC matches on PPV?

thesmoothdome
08-25-2007, 23:04
I think it's 39.95 on direct tv. 49.95 for HDTV, which I haven't poped for yet. Smoothywife won't let me redesign the livingroom to fit a 65 inch HDVT plasma....geez

thesmoothdome
08-25-2007, 23:25
Round 1 update: Gonzaga looks like he has a broken nose and spent the round getting pounded by Randy.

Round 2: Gonzaga just asked the ref to stop the fight because he couldn't see. The ref just took a point away from Gonzaga for grabbing the fence. this could get ugly

thesmoothdome
08-25-2007, 23:29
Round 2 goes to Capt. America....Black Gorrilla care to comment?

thesmoothdome
08-25-2007, 23:32
It's over!!! Randy takes Gonzaga to the ground and proceeds to POUND HIM OUT!!!! Gonzaga offers no defense and the fight is stopped by Herb Dean.

Black-Gorrilla
08-26-2007, 00:34
im so upset!!!

thesmoothdome
08-26-2007, 00:37
im so upset!!!

No worries for the brazillian contigent. Gonzaga at 28 will surely be able to be Capt. America at 44...Oh wait... Guess he couldn't . Gonzaga at 35 will surely be able to beat Capt. America at 51....maybe!!!

dmdoss
08-26-2007, 00:53
Randy Couture did it, I couldn't be happier.

3rdEye
08-26-2007, 01:11
damn....i didn't watch it yet, but Randy is the man.....i think he should take on Rampage and own both titles.....lol

DivingsInMyBlood
08-26-2007, 07:44
Sweet i just got up and cheecked the UFC website, I love the news long live the king.

georoc01
08-26-2007, 12:49
That would be interesting. Will Randy and Rampage get it on?

Does St. George get a shot at the title? He looked really quick last night too.

Black-Gorrilla
08-26-2007, 17:55
after GSP lost that other fight, everyone was like "he sucks" "cant deal with the pressure" etc...
come on... he beat matt hughes ass so bad!! how can anyone say that... matt hughes is a hell of a fighter..

COMING SOON!!
Rich Franklin gets ass wooped PART II

DivingsInMyBlood
08-26-2007, 18:05

randy and rampage are a different weight class, would be a crazy fight tho.

3rdEye
08-26-2007, 18:23

yeah but Randy used to have the light heavyweight title....he could drop the pounds and do it again and have both :)

thesmoothdome
08-26-2007, 19:05
COMING SOON!!
Rich Franklin gets ass wooped PART II

Still haven't learned BG? Franklin won't make the same mistake he made the first time.

Black-Gorrilla
08-26-2007, 19:06

yeah but Randy used to have the light heavyweight title....he could drop the pounds and do it again and have both :)

i think for him to bounce between two classes at this point is his career will just be worst than better.
in his earlier days, sure... but now, too late for that. it would take too much out of him.

thesmoothdome
08-26-2007, 19:10

He could drop the pounds, but I don't think it makes much sense for him to do so at this point of his career. He's got 2 fights left on his current contract and he's going to be 45 before it's over. I think next he'll fight Big Nog and by then Fedor should be in the UFC fold and Randy finishes his career against him.

thesmoothdome
08-26-2007, 19:11
i think for him to bounce between two classes at this point is his career will just be worst than better.
in his earlier days, sure... but now, too late for that. it would take too much out of him.

Hehehe...just like Gonzaga took too much out of him. :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

Black-Gorrilla
08-26-2007, 19:56

Hehehe...just like Gonzaga took too much out of him. :smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

i dont get it? what are you saying there? (im dead serious, i dont understand that sentece)

dmdoss
08-26-2007, 20:33
does anybody know if they going to re-air the fight?

kevinj1
08-26-2007, 20:55
Gorrilla--I told you "never under estimate Capt. America"

We might have to bet on the Franklin fight--although I am sketchy of his return for the title...

3rdEye
08-26-2007, 21:22

nah....he weighs in at what? 220? at the low end of the heavyweight class for sure.....it wouldn't be hard for him to drop down to 205.....but, smoothdome is probably right, might not make sense for him to do such a thing....he's pretty much done it all already......but it would be pretty cool :smiley32:

thesmoothdome
08-26-2007, 22:50
does anybody know if they going to re-air the fight?

They'll show all the fights from the night eventually on Spike TV. I can't remember what the show is called though and have no idea what the time frame would be.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-26-2007, 22:54

I think between cutting the weight and fighting rampage, that rampage would hurt poor randy, but when you doubt him he kicks some a$$

cgvmer
08-26-2007, 23:13
Answer is NO!

thesmoothdome
08-27-2007, 00:01
Answer is NO!

what was the question?

georoc01
08-28-2007, 09:07
Any word on what happened prior to the telecast of the PPV? That ring had some pretty bloody stains on it by the time the first telecasted fight came on.

thesmoothdome
08-28-2007, 20:27
Any word on what happened prior to the telecast of the PPV? That ring had some pretty bloody stains on it by the time the first telecasted fight came on.

I read the recaps of all the fights for the night, figuring that someone bled like a stuck pig but there was no report of any bleeding at all. I'm at a loss. I do know that Babalu choked out David Heath and refused to let go when he tapped or when the ref tried to break them apart after Heath was unconscious. The idiot then admitted it in the post fight interview with Joe Rogan. Cost him 1/2 his payday at the moment.

foo
08-28-2007, 20:44
Yall remember when Guy Metzger won the UFC? I got to watch him do sport karate when he was a teen, and then as a young man. Some of my husband's blackbelts have trained with him in Dallas.

Foo2, wasn't he such a gooooood judge?

Black-Gorrilla
08-28-2007, 20:55
he did that because of what happened at weigh ins.
that guy (babalu) is a beast!! he's champion material!

dmdoss
08-28-2007, 23:29
SO, who's going to win UFC 75?

kevinj1
08-28-2007, 23:38
My predictions are; Jackson over Henderson
and Cro Cop over Kongo

kevinj1
08-28-2007, 23:39
Also I am HOPING for Hamill over Bisping..................

DivingsInMyBlood
08-29-2007, 07:34
nah, bisping should win

thesmoothdome
08-29-2007, 08:36
Yall remember when Guy Metzger won the UFC? I got to watch him do sport karate when he was a teen, and then as a young man. Some of my husband's blackbelts have trained with him in Dallas.

Guy Metzger was beast :).

he did that because of what happened at weigh ins.
that guy (babalu) is a beast!! he's champion material!
BG, you're such a homer :smiley20:. Babalu got his championship shot last year and tanked. Didn't the fight against Lidell last less than 2 1/2 minutes? Of course it's hard for me to remember. I turned to a buddy to say something and turned back to the cage and the fight was over.

SO, who's going to win UFC 75?

Jackson over Henderson. I was going to give the edge to Hendo but he's flying in to London on the 3rd of the month. 2 days before his fight. Is he insane? Says he did it all the time in Japan, so what do I know?

Hammill over Bisping. I think Bisping is a beast, but Hammill, even if he comes off as a bit of jerk, is a tough kid. Plus, I always give the wrestlers the edge. (Didn't work with Kos the other night though, so again, what do I know?)

Cro Cop over Kongo. This is the type of fight that is good for Kongo, because he has absolutely no ground game. I think I've got a high school kid that could beat him on the ground. Even so, Cro Cop has always rebounded well from loses and his stand up is fantastic.

The rest of the card, I'm only familiar with 1 fighter or the other, so I'll reserve judgement. I will say that Houston Alexander looked awesome in beating Keith Jardine, but let's see if it was a fluke.

thesmoothdome
08-30-2007, 20:30
Guess we're going to have to wait a long time before we get to see Babalu fight in the UFC again:

"UFC President Dana White confirmed that the fighter has been cut from his contract after initially refusing to break a chokehold on opponent David Heath and then admitting it during a post-fight interview. Sobral told the sold-out crowd in the Mandalay Bay Events Center that he wanted to “teach (Heath) a lesson” for disrespecting him during the previous day’s weigh-UFC President Dana White confirmed that the fighter has been cut from his contract after initially refusing to break a chokehold on opponent David Heath and then admitting it during a post-fight interview. Sobral told the sold-out crowd in the Mandalay Bay Events Center that he wanted to “teach (Heath) a lesson” for disrespecting him during the previous day’s weigh-in."

Black-Gorrilla
08-30-2007, 20:50
come on, very few people stand a chance against chuck... its more luck than skills there, cause chuck has those wild punches, and you gotta get wild with him... like Jackson did...

my picks...

-Jackson over Henderson... within 2 rounds, KO
-Mirko Cro Cop, just cause im a fan... kick to the ribs, so hard the other guy passes out.
- Hamill cause i like him alot too... submission, within the first round.

thor
08-30-2007, 21:07
New season of Ultimate Fighter starts 9/19. Team Serra vs. Team Hughes

DivingsInMyBlood
08-30-2007, 21:45
come on, very few people stand a chance against chuck... its more luck than skills there, cause chuck has those wild punches, and you gotta get wild with him... like Jackson did...

my picks...

-Jackson over Henderson... within 2 rounds, KO
-Mirko Cro Cop, just cause im a fan... kick to the ribs, so hard the other guy passes out.
- Hamill cause i like him alot too... submission, within the first round.

cro cop throws some of the craziest kicks ive seen for a long time, I think you underestimate Bisping, I think he will rock hamill but i guess we will see soon my friend.

Black-Gorrilla
08-30-2007, 21:50
hamil has this monster strength in him... he can over power alot of huge people... if he doesnt stand too much with bisping, he should win easy on the ground.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-30-2007, 21:53
hamil has this monster strength in him... he can over power alot of huge people... if he doesnt stand too much with bisping, he should win easy on the ground.

Granted bispings ground game kind of sucks.

Black-Gorrilla
08-30-2007, 22:11
and hamills stand up is sort of decent...

dmdoss
08-31-2007, 00:18
I would like to see a match up against all the title holders of the UFC and WEC. Don't know if that would work. Does UFC own WEC or whats the deal there?

thesmoothdome
08-31-2007, 21:32
I would like to see a match up against all the title holders of the UFC and WEC. Don't know if that would work. Does UFC own WEC or whats the deal there?

Zuffa, who owns the UFC, bought WEC not too long ago. From what I've read, they plan on keeping them as seperate organizations, and would like "talent" in both promotions. Can the "talent" in the WEC compete with the UFC? I really can't say. If I have to venture a guess, I know that fighters from either organization would kick my ass, but maybe those in the UFC would be quicker about it.

Xspect
08-31-2007, 22:04
chucky boy !!!

LIDDELL

kevinj1
08-31-2007, 23:27
WEC is basically meant to be a minor league to the UFC. They have to prove themselves with a great record, then Dana will create a contract for them in the UFC.

thesmoothdome
09-01-2007, 12:37
WEC is basically meant to be a minor league to the UFC. They have to prove themselves with a great record, then Dana will create a contract for them in the UFC.

I initially thought so myself, but I'm not sure that's true. They're running lighter weight classes, which they aren't offering in the UFC, like the 145 class Jens Pulver is being groomed to be the champion of and face of the WEC (if he can beat Uriah Faber, that is). It's also my understand that they'll be bringing in 125 and 135 pound weight classes in order to differenciate themselves even more. So, sure for some weights it may be a place to hone some skills, but for others, it's gonna be all they have.

DivingsInMyBlood
09-01-2007, 13:33

I initially thought so myself, but I'm not sure that's true. They're running lighter weight classes, which they aren't offering in the UFC, like the 145 class Jens Pulver is being groomed to be the champion of and face of the WEC (if he can beat Uriah Faber, that is). It's also my understand that they'll be bringing in 125 and 135 pound weight classes in order to differenciate themselves even more. So, sure for some weights it may be a place to hone some skills, but for others, it's gonna be all they have.

Kinda sounds like midget weight classes.

cummings66
09-01-2007, 18:39
I finally got to watch some of the fights, pretty real stuff there. I'm impressed with it.

thesmoothdome
09-01-2007, 18:50
I finally got to watch some of the fights, pretty real stuff there. I'm impressed with it.

Glad to hear it. There's a couple of WEC title fights on Wednesday evening which will be shown live on VS.m formerly known as Outdoor Life Network, if you get the channel.

CrzyJay456
09-01-2007, 19:40

how much more real could it be? you say "pretty real stuff here"

dmdoss
09-02-2007, 15:06
When I was looking at the WEC website they didn't have a heavy weight class.

kevinj1
09-02-2007, 16:52

I have heard that mmyself, but, 2 months ago Faber was approached to see if he had any interest in moving to the UFC. He was very excited eventhough he would have to step up into a diifferent weight class. It will be intersting to see what the future holds.

georoc01
09-02-2007, 16:55
Should be fun next week. I do like how the UFC, when the fight is overseas and wouldn't do well in an afternoon PPV puts it on Spike. Good chance for all of us to see it!

DivingsInMyBlood
09-02-2007, 21:33
Should be fun next week. I do like how the UFC, when the fight is overseas and wouldn't do well in an afternoon PPV puts it on Spike. Good chance for all of us to see it!

yep cant wait, i'll hit the beer store for some cheap booze and watch some hopefully great fights for free (well not ppv).

thesmoothdome
09-02-2007, 22:23

yep cant wait, i'll hit the beer store for some cheap booze and watch some hopefully great fights for free (well not ppv).

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the fights, but while I hate paying 40 bucks, I hate watching taped sports more. It's agony not to sneak a look at the live updated results on UFCjunkie.com

dmdoss
09-02-2007, 22:42
Some good pay days for some, other's not so good.

The total disclosed payroll for UFC 74 was $755,000.

Clay Guida — $14,000 total
$7,000 to show
$7,000 win bonus

Marcus Aurelio — $30,000 total
$30,000 to show
Win bonus would have been $30,000

Thales Leites — $18,000 total
$9,000 to show
$9,000 win bonus

Ryan Jensen — $4,000 total
$4,000 to show
Win bonus would have been $4,000

Frank Mir — $66,000 total
$36,000 to show
$30,000 win bonus

Antoni Hardonk — $8,000 total
$8,000 to show
Win bonus would have been $8,000

Renato Sobral — $50,000 total
$25,000 to show
$25,000 win bonus

David Heath — $6,000 total
$6,000 to show
Win bonus would have been $6,000

Patrick Cote — $24,000 total
$12,000 to show
$12,000 win bonus

Kendall Grove — $12,000 total
$12,000 to show
Win bonus would have been $12,000

Joe Stevenson — $32,000 total
$16,000 to show
$16,000 win bonus

Kurt Pellegrino — $8,000 total
$8,000 to show
Win bonus would have been $8,000

Roger Huerta — $34,000 total
$17,000 to show
$17,000 win bonus

Alberto Crane — $4,000 total
$4,000 to show
Win bonus would have been $4,000

Georges St. Pierre — $140,000 total
$70,000 to show
$70,000 win bonus

Josh Koscheck — $10,000 total
$10,000 to show
Win bonus would have been $10,000

Randy Couture — $250,000 total
$250,000 to show
No win bonus awarded

Gabriel Gonzaga — $45,000 total
$45,000 to show
Win bonus would have been $45,000

thesmoothdome
09-02-2007, 22:55
A few people also got $35,000 bonuses.

Randy Cotoure and Gabe Gonzaga - Fight of the Night
Patrick Cote - Knock Out of the Night
Thales Leites - Submision of the Night

Babalu would have received the Sub. of the night, but his antics cost him. Total loss for the night: $60,000 and his contract in the UFC.

dmdoss
09-02-2007, 22:57
A few people also got $35,000 bonuses.

Randy Cotoure and Gabe Gonzaga - Fight of the Night
Patrick Cote - Knock Out of the Night
Thales Leites - Submision of the Night

Babalu would have received the Sub. of the night, but his antics cost him. Total loss for the night: $60,000 and his conract in the UFC.

Ouch thats gotta sting.

dmdoss
09-02-2007, 23:26
So when did the Man Laws posts not count anymore?

kevinj1
09-02-2007, 23:30
Since we started talking about UFC on a scuba diving forum--lol

dmdoss
09-02-2007, 23:36
Since we started talking about UFC on a scuba diving forum--lol

But its a man law! :smiley36:

kevinj1
09-02-2007, 23:40
I agree with ya buddy.

3rdEye
09-08-2007, 22:08
In what world did Bisping win that fight???????

thesmoothdome
09-08-2007, 22:16

No kidding. That wasn't even close. I had it 30-27 Hamill. For the record, I had Hamill by decision before the fight, and I'm a little pissed right now, but that wasn't even close. Hamill did more damage on their feet and controlled the ground game for all 3 rounds. At no time did Bisping even look competative.

3rdEye
09-08-2007, 22:22

No kidding. That wasn't even close. I had it 30-27 Hamill. For the record, I had Hamill by decision before the fight, and I'm a little pissed right now, but that wasn't even close. Hamill did more damage on their feet and controlled the ground game for all 3 rounds. At no time did Bisping even look competative.

yeah man, what a joke....i'm dumbfounded.

hopefully we'll get to see this punk rampage get his head knocked off

thesmoothdome
09-08-2007, 22:26

yeah man, what a joke....i'm dumbfounded.

hopefully we'll get to see this punk rampage get his head knocked off

As much as l'd like to see that, I don't think it's going to happen. I was touting Hendo until I heard an interview with him where he said he was flying from the US to GB 2 days before the fight. He said he did it all the time when he fought in PRIDE in Japan. I'm sorry, 2 days just isn't enough time to get aclimated. Because of that, I think it's going to be Rampage, who showed up 2 weeks before the fight.

3rdEye
09-08-2007, 22:28
shhhhhhh

don't burst my bubble man.....lol

i want to see that big headed chain wearing punk get knocked out....i want him to be so humilated that he lasers that "Rampage" tattoo off his shoulder

3rdEye
09-08-2007, 22:34
first round to henderson for sure

thesmoothdome
09-08-2007, 22:57
definately looks like hendo is slowing down as the fight progresses. gotta give the fight to Rampage.

3rdEye
09-08-2007, 23:00
ahhh christ.....he hurt him with 2 some minutes to go, then played the position game....he coulda knocked him out.

dmdoss
09-08-2007, 23:07
Kongo vs Cro Cop fight was disappointing.

dmdoss
09-08-2007, 23:08
Rampage interview was funny. Called him rock head.

3rdEye
09-08-2007, 23:10

whole night was disappointing.....especially the bisping fight....there's just no way in hell he won that

and that rampage idiot can barely speak english....."peoples dont know, but I ams gots jiu jitsu"....what a moron

kevinj1
09-08-2007, 23:20
I an extremely upset about the Bisping fight--one of the worst calls in MMA history. I would have been pissed if I payed PPV Price for it.

Black-Gorrilla
09-08-2007, 23:23

if you read back, i had Hamill for the win... and i agree, he won... but i guess :smiley21:home court advantage somehow plays in all of this!!:smiley21:
hamill controlled the fight about 95% of the time...

Black-Gorrilla
09-08-2007, 23:24

it was. i'm a Cro Cop fan... and i dont like the way that fight went... after the knee to ball (2times) the fight turned fast.!
the first round started off great though!

thesmoothdome
09-08-2007, 23:25

if you read back, i had Hamill for the win... and i agree, he won... but i guess :smiley21:home court advantage somehow plays in all of this!!:smiley21:
hamill controlled the fight about 95% of the time...

Ok BG, if Bisping was Brazillian, who would win :) ...Just kidding bro. You got it exactly right.

dmdoss
09-08-2007, 23:40

whole night was disappointing.....especially the bisping fight....there's just no way in hell he won that

and that rampage idiot can barely speak english....."peoples dont know, but I ams gots jiu jitsu"....what a moron

I agree. Wasn't what I was hoping for, by far.

dmdoss
09-08-2007, 23:42

it was. i'm a Cro Cop fan... and i dont like the way that fight went... after the knee to ball (2times) the fight turned fast.!
the first round started off great though!

Yeah, to bad Cro Cop doesn't have more grappling experience. Kongo sucks on the mat.

DivingsInMyBlood
09-08-2007, 23:44
I an extremely upset about the Bisping fight--one of the worst calls in MMA history. I would have been pissed if I payed PPV Price for it.

I gave bisping the fight just by the skin of his teeth, poor fight tho.

DivingsInMyBlood
09-08-2007, 23:45

yeah i almost fell asleep watching it.

scubasteven45
09-09-2007, 01:21
I like Tito Ortiz myself.

thesmoothdome
09-09-2007, 10:49

I'd have to disagree. I thought it was a great fight. Two devestating strikers with no ground game to speak of in a technical chess match with the underdog not only being the better striker, but showing a solid ground game.

As for the low knees, these things happen in fighting. It shouldn't really affect things. Cro Cop had 5 minutes to recover if he needed it. He chose when to start the fight again. If anything, it affected Kongo's ability to throw knees from the clinch because he was scared of losing a point if another one was low. For the record, no, I don't want to be kneed in the crotch and given 5 minutes to continue. It's not fun and it does hurt. I'm just saying that it happens and Cro Cop can't hang his loss on it.

dmdoss
09-09-2007, 16:01

I'd have to disagree. I thought it was a great fight. Two devestating strikers with no ground game to speak of in a technical chess match with the underdog not only being the better striker, but showing a solid ground game.

As for the low knees, these things happen in fighting. It shouldn't really affect things. Cro Cop had 5 minutes to recover if he needed it. He chose when to start the fight again. If anything, it affected Kongo's ability to throw knees from the clinch because he was scared of losing a point if another one was low. For the record, no, I don't want to be kneed in the crotch and given 5 minutes to continue. It's not fun and it does hurt. I'm just saying that it happens and Cro Cop can't hang his loss on it.

I dont think the knee's played a big part. They should be legal blows, was when I competed. Thats part of fighting. I was hoping for more of a war.

mpd525
09-09-2007, 18:53
Well, i was almost mad i missed the fights last night, because i was night diving(first 2 night dives, and they were great), but now i guess i'm glad i missed it. Who won the Hamill-bisping fight?

dmdoss
09-09-2007, 19:06
Well, i was almost mad i missed the fights last night, because i was night diving(first 2 night dives, and they were great), but now i guess i'm glad i missed it. Who won the Hamill-bisping fight?

Bisping won. But on the UFC website 89% of fans feel Hamill won. They are running a poll on the site, so you can vote.

mpd525
09-09-2007, 20:37
i like bisping, i like the way he just pounds on folks. And what ever happened to robbie lawler, that's a scrapper right their.

mpd525
09-09-2007, 20:39
doss, do you ever come down to good ol' tenkiller.

Black-Gorrilla
09-09-2007, 20:42
here's why Cro Cop fought less than expected in rounds 2 and 3....

HE BROKE A RIB IN THE FIRST ROUND (well... Kongo broke it for him)

Black-Gorrilla
09-09-2007, 20:44
and by the way... the source is here... http://crocop.tk/ under news.

thesmoothdome
09-09-2007, 20:50
Yeah, I saw that. It does explain why he wasn't as agressive as he used to be, but he looked pressured early in the first round too. I have to wonder how much gas he has left in the tank at this point. He is 33. Is it possible that he's slowing down a bit or just not progressing as much as the young guns are? Not everyone can be Cotoure. Of course, I'm just wondering out loud. It wouldn't surprise me if he came back and rattled off a few wins in a row either. I really think it's time for him to drop down to light heavy weight though. I mean it's only a 15 pound cut for him and he's not nearly as ripped as Cotoure. I can't imagine it'd be that hard to drop the weight.

rktman26
09-09-2007, 21:04
Cro Cop is usually much more aggressive than he was last night. He threw what, two high kicks?
It looked like Congo was ready to defend against the kick.

dmdoss
09-09-2007, 22:21
Cotoure is a freak of nature, I can't imagine fighting at his age. Not at his level anyway.

DivingsInMyBlood
09-09-2007, 22:28
and by the way... the source is here... http://crocop.tk/ under news.

that makes alot of sense since round 1 he stopped stalking congo and his elbows dropped to protect his ribs.

Black-Gorrilla
09-09-2007, 23:19
Cotoure is a freak of nature, I can't imagine fighting at his age. Not at his level anyway.

gonzaga broke coutores arm at the start of the second or 3rd round... kicked high, couture blocked it, and broke his arm. if gonzaga wasnt drowning in his own blood, he would have won!

thesmoothdome
09-10-2007, 08:18

gonzaga broke coutores arm at the start of the second or 3rd round... kicked high, couture blocked it, and broke his arm. if gonzaga wasnt drowning in his own blood, he would have won!

Come on BG. I know you've got mad love for the Brazillians, but contending that Gonzaga was even in that fight is stretching it. Cotoure controlled the whole fight, kept Gonzaga pinned against the cage and beat the crap out of him. Not to mention, didn't Randy finish him off AFTER he broke his arm?

georoc01
09-19-2007, 13:13
So, this Saturday Lidell returns to the octagon, anyone picking against him?

Black-Gorrilla
09-19-2007, 14:34

Come on BG. I know you've got mad love for the Brazillians, but contending that Gonzaga was even in that fight is stretching it. Cotoure controlled the whole fight, kept Gonzaga pinned against the cage and beat the crap out of him. Not to mention, didn't Randy finish him off AFTER he broke his arm?

if conzaga was not drowning in his own blood after that slam/headbutt combo that randy pulled off... he could have taken randy...
randy did continue with a broken arm, he did a good job. i take nothing away from coutore.

now...
tonigh there is something on spike TV right?

for the next event... here are my pics...

Chuck Liddel vs. Keith Jardine in my opnion, that fight is gonna be 50/50, it's just a matter of who gets hit the hardest the soonest.
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Forest Griffin i think we will see griffin get knocked out... possibly with a kick. and if not, submited. but in my eyes, griffin has like a 15% chance of winning that fight.
Nakamura vs. Machida that fight can go either way very fast... it's gonna be intense... i cant pick. 50/50
DIEGO SANCHEZ and JON FITCH- i like Diego... and he honestly is a great fighter, but fitch is a threat... alot of power. im pulling for diego.

Black-Gorrilla
09-19-2007, 14:39
oh... and nate or nick diaz is fighting tonight.... i think they are both punks, and hope he gets his ass wooped up and down that ring!!

thesmoothdome
09-20-2007, 21:26
Got home from the doctors and caught the end of the Sell/Quarry fight. Good stuff and it only got better from there. I can't believe that Terry Martin ended up getting knocked out by Chris Leben. I have so little respect for Leben I can't even stand to type his name, but he took a pounding and caught Martin relaxing. That's what the fight game is about. Sorry to see Din Thomas go out like that. I hope he recovers from the upcoming knee surgery soon, but I don't think he could have beat Florian anyway.

As for Sat. night: Lidell rocks Jardine, Shogun whoops Griffin (but I'm pulling for Griffin), Sanchez stops Fitch (but I hate Sanchez), Machida beats Nakamura,

DivingsInMyBlood
09-20-2007, 21:34
Got home from the doctors and caught the end of the Sell/Quarry fight. Good stuff and it only got better from there. I can't believe that Terry Martin ended up getting knocked out by Chris Leben. I have so little respect for Leben I can't even stand to type his name, but he took a pounding and caught Martin relaxing. That's what the fight game is about. Sorry to see Din Thomas go out like that. I hope he recovers from the upcoming knee surgery soon, but I don't think he could have beat Florian anyway.

As for Sat. night: Lidell rocks Jardine, Shogun whoops Griffin (but I'm pulling for Griffin), Sanchez stops Fitch (but I hate Sanchez), Machida beats Nakamura,

yeah leban got hit so good then knocked the guy out big time, leban looked like a different fighter altogether in that fight.

thor
09-21-2007, 09:30
OK. So I come home late from work, eat dinner, and I am looking foward to watching the UFC Fight Night that is being recorded on my TIVO. I also know the Mets game is being taped. After dinner I go to the Tivo menu and see Mets baseball being recorded and Last Comic Standing (courtesy of my wife.) Where is [email protected]#!$ UFC ? "Oh, were you recording something?" she asks. I only caught the Din Thomas/Florian "fight", if you want to call it that. Darn. Too bad he got hurt. I think it would have been an interesting fight, but I think Florian would have beaten him also, regardless. He looks like he has dramatically improved his stand up in prep for this fight. Stupid Last Comic Standing

Black-Gorrilla
09-24-2007, 21:37
i was so upset at Mauricio Rua, he was completely out of shape for that fight!! He needs to step up his game and get back to the conditioning that he was at for his pride fights!!
both fighters were gassed in like 7 minutes!! not good at all.
i like how chuck lost that fight... seems like if a fight goes the distance he just starts to fall apart slowly.
Vanderlei Silva in DECEMBER!!! Ax Murderer coming to UFC!!
and next month, franklin vs. Silva for the tittle again.

Black-Gorrilla
10-29-2007, 21:19
how about that Anderson Silva? how'd you guys like that?
i like rich franklin, but when he started getting hit with the mui thai..
he looked like a deer caught in headlights.
he was knocked out at the bell (talk about saved by the bell) and then lasted about 2 minutes in the second.
what i liked so much is how respectful both fighters were to each other before and after the fight.
next killer to fight....
the AXE MURDERER, Wanderlei Silva... taking on Chuck "iceman" Liddell
and on the same night... Matt and Matt will be fighting.
Hughs vs. Serra. i got Serra winning to one too.
http://media.ufc.tv/i.cfc?method=get&w=550&cs=1&s=5429893C-1422-0E8C-9A684735811CA5D0.jpg

Clanggedin
10-30-2007, 12:19
I'm a little worried about Vanderlei. It seems like every Pride fighter has had troubles with fighting in the Octagon. Rampage wasn't spectacular in his first fight back, neither was Noguiera, nor Herring, nor CroCop.

Vanderlei always puts on a good show, so I hope he and Chuck just don't dance around.

I'm curious to see if Hendo (Dan Henderson) is going to drop to Middleweight. Seeinghe and Anderson Silva fight would be awesome, since there is no one right now in that weight class that can deal with him.

Lesner fights on Feb 2. It wil be his first REAL test in the ring since his last fight was a tin can.

I just hope they get the Couture thing resolved and allow him to fight Fedor, whether it's for the UFC title or the M-1 title. That would be the fight of the century.

I have a bunch of photos with me and a number of UFC fighters on my myspace page. MySpace.com - Tech-Ninja - 33 - Male - SALEM, Utah - www.myspace.com/arcadefanatic (http://www.myspace.com/arcadefanatic)

Black-Gorrilla
10-30-2007, 20:29
well, couture resigned his tittle from the ufc because they could not sign Fedor... so i think randy is going to where ever fedor is, even if he moves around. Fedor is crazy good, and him and Randy would be AWESOME!!!

i dont think Dan can take Silva, he's just looking a little out of it lately... it would be a great fight.

Clanggedin
10-30-2007, 22:49
well, couture resigned his tittle from the ufc because they could not sign Fedor... so i think randy is going to where ever fedor is, even if he moves around. Fedor is crazy good, and him and Randy would be AWESOME!!!

i dont think Dan can take Silva, he's just looking a little out of it lately... it would be a great fight.

Randy is still under contract with the UFC so he won't be going anywhere. He still awes them 2 more fights. Dana says he can fight in Feb if he wants against Minotauro Noguiera. Dana says Randy is still the champ because he can't resign or retire while under contract.

Dan's last fight before Rampage was against Vanderlei, who is in a higher weight class than him and he knocked Vanderlei out. I know Dan wouldn't perform his best because Rampage is a good friend and it was his first fight in the Octagon, which is a new thing for Pride fighters. Dana wants Dan to move down a class, but I don't think he wants to, so we'll see what happens in the next few months with him.

Black-Gorrilla
11-01-2007, 14:31
i dont think he is read to fight in the cage. pride is very different.
maybe if dan had a few more fights before silva (if he drops a weight class) then it would benefit him.

georoc01
11-07-2007, 13:57
Nice article about Alexander

Raising kids harder than KOing foes for Alexander - MMA - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-110107alexander&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

10 days till UFC 78!

r2t
11-26-2007, 22:42
Hughs vs. gsp 3. That going to be a great fight.

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 18:43
Royce Gracie was my hero for years.... I saw him in the first UFC and all of the others. I was crushed when he lost recently.... I had to find a new hero... for now it is Bear Grylls....