PDA

View Full Version : Mask/Hood Issue

scubasavvy
08-23-2007, 22:32
Does anyone else have problems with their mask seals when they use a hood? I tried my Big Eyes with a 7mm hood and it leaked. Before that, it was fine for my pool sessions, etc. Should I purchase another mask or are there any temporary solutions?

NitroWill
08-23-2007, 22:48
I dont know much about hoods (if i need a hood - its too cold :p) but did you try wearing your mask strap both inside and outside the hood? I know sometimes that this is enough of a difference to cause a good seal..

If not, maybe one of the cold water divers here could help out :)

scubasavvy
08-23-2007, 23:46
I dont know much about hoods (if i need a hood - its too cold :p) but did you try wearing your mask strap both inside and outside the hood? I know sometimes that this is enough of a difference to cause a good seal..

If not, maybe one of the cold water divers here could help out :)

I couldn't wear the strap inside the hood. They were my cert dives and I had to clear/remove/replace it. I'm going to buy a hood and test keeping the strap inside the hood in the pool. Thanks for the help!

thor
08-24-2007, 00:12
This is a common problem with hoods. Also , make sure the mask skirt is under the hood. Does your hood have a vent for air to escape? This seems to help and somewhat reduce the air that get's trapped in the hood, which will pull the mask away from your face. (some people cut holes in the top of their hoods, and/or around their ears also. ) I recently bought a Waterproof hooded vest , which has a vent system, which seems to work pretty good. A lot of people swear by the henderson hyperstretch hoods. Some people do have different masks for cold and warm water due to the hood problem. The other thing is that some people who have equalization issues will let a little water penetrate the hood. This caused me to have great trouble with my mask.

Strap inside the hood might cause problems if you ever have to adjust your mask. You would have to take off your mask first.

TAH 73
08-24-2007, 08:59
With the hood you need to trim the hood to fit the mask. if the skirt of the mask in over the edge of the hood, you will never get a good seal.
If it's a case of just trying out a mask, and it interferes with the hood just flip the edge of the hood up when donning the mask so it comes down over the outside of the skirt.
I have foud when trimming a hood/wetsuit a VERY sharp razor blade/xacto knife makes a cleaner cut than scissors.

dawnskies
08-24-2007, 09:05
If I don't get all my hair/hood out from under the mask seal, it does have leaking tendencies. Plus, the vent in the hood is needed, otherwise air in the hood will sometimes cause the strap to come right off over your head, had this happen on a few dives, luckily the mask fits on my face well and was able to put it back on. I cut a couple small X's in top for air to escape. Don't really have issues with it now.

finflippers
08-24-2007, 09:15
If I put my mask strap on the outside of my hood I never can get a good seal, it holds it out just far enough to allow leakage. With putting the mask strap on the inside i never have an issue.

cummings66
08-24-2007, 12:39
The thing about a mask strap is that it's there only to keep the thing on your head. Once you go underwater pressure will keep it in place and you don't even need a strap, or you shouldn't if the mask fits right. If you find it works under and not over you probably have the strap too tight.

Loosen it up, it's not really important that the strap be tight. On a poor fitting mask you might need it tighter, I've got a pair of swim goggles like that. But then most of them don't fit me.