PDA

View Full Version : Non-vented hood- how do I vent it

navychop
04-30-2009, 11:49
Any recommendations appreciated. Holes at the top? How many, how big. My hood blows up like a balloon. Just a 1mm hood I wear with my 5mm Henderson Thermoprene from ST to keep water from going down my back.

wgt
04-30-2009, 11:57
Hold a nail with a pair of pliers on a hot stove. Once the nail is red hot, place the tip in contact with and then through the melting hood. Position the nail so that the hole will sit just behind the top of the head. Immediately remove the nail, then let the neoprene around the hole cool. Remember to perform the maneuver while not wearing the hood.

Start with a small nail. If that does the trick, then you are done. If a larger hole is needed, then repeat the procedure at the same site with a larger nail.

Any recommendations appreciated. Holes at the top? How many, how big. My hood blows up like a balloon. Just a 1mm hood I wear with my 5mm Henderson Thermoprene from ST to keep water from going down my back.

PlatypusMan
04-30-2009, 12:55
What wgt said.

Since I have several 'holey' projects that come up, I invested a couple bucks in a cheap pen-type soldering iron to sacrifice to the Dive Entities.

Works easier for me than the nail thing.

PPM

mcr0112
04-30-2009, 13:21
Use a hole punch made for leather available at Tandy Leather or other hobby stores. They come in various sizes.

Flatliner
04-30-2009, 16:46
Hold a nail with a pair of pliers on a hot stove. Once the nail is red hot, place the tip in contact with and then through the melting hood. Position the nail so that the hole will sit just behind the top of the head. Immediately remove the nail, then let the neoprene around the hole cool. Remember to perform the maneuver while not wearing the hood.

Start with a small nail. If that does the trick, then you are done. If a larger hole is needed, then repeat the procedure at the same site with a larger nail.

Damn, I knew I must be doing SOMETHING wrong...:smilie39:

wgt
04-30-2009, 17:01
Flatliner:

I had to put that clause in to limit my own liability. I hope that your head is feeling better.:smiley36:

Damn, I knew I must be doing SOMETHING wrong...:smilie39:

DarinMartell
05-01-2009, 16:00
What wgt said.

Since I have several 'holey' projects that come up, I invested a couple bucks in a cheap pen-type soldering iron to sacrifice to the Dive Entities.

Works easier for me than the nail thing.

PPM

I did it with my soldering iron. I must not have waited long enough because it "split" the neoprene a little on the edge. Whatever you use make sure it it REALLY hot.

Vlane
05-02-2009, 00:00
I just used a knife to cut a hole in mine the other day in between dives, only thing available. It's a neoprene hood so do you think i might have some problems with it ripping or something later on?

wgt
05-02-2009, 13:19
I have cut a couple with scissors, and ripping did not seem to pose a problem.

I just used a knife to cut a hole in mine the other day in between dives, only thing available. It's a neoprene hood so do you think i might have some problems with it ripping or something later on?

Vlane
05-02-2009, 15:12
I have cut a couple with scissors, and ripping did not seem to pose a problem.

Ok thanks. It didn't look like it would run or rip any but i'd rather not take any chances.

navychop
05-02-2009, 15:36
Hot nail went through like a hot knive through butter. Results tomorrow!

mitchy
05-02-2009, 16:03
I didn't read all the threads, so if I repeat one, apologies...

I used a hot nail (propane torch) and put four holes in the top/back of head to let air escape, and three holes in each ear which makes equalizing easier.

UCFKnightDiver
05-02-2009, 18:49
soldering iron, keep in mind if you dive in trim that you dont want to put the holes in the very top, I have 3 in mine one near the back of the head one in between the middle of the head and the back, and one in the middle of the head

RoyN
05-03-2009, 15:00
You can:

A. Hit your head every 5 minutes

B. Learn how to dive with it.

or

C. Poke a little teeny tiny hole to vent it out.

Tassie Diver
06-10-2009, 19:16
Add another vote for the hot nail. Cherry red is better than orange. Too hot and you start getting flames, not just melting.

Oh yeah, and do it in a very well ventilated area 'cos the fumes are terrible.

Cheers

TD.

bsktcase93
06-30-2009, 23:09
an open area would be a good idea even have a garden hose near by just in case

UofTOrange
07-02-2009, 14:06
I was just going to ask this. I'm going to vent mine around the ears this weekend

Jack Hammer
07-02-2009, 22:12
I was just going to ask this. I'm going to vent mine around the ears this weekend

I vented mine in two places on the head, one at the 'normal' spot and another at the back of my head (for when I'm face down). I also added one hole at each ear to help with equalization (much better IMO).

I used the end of a metal coat hanger heated over the stove for about 30 secs. Tiny hole, works great, no more ballooning. And for those that wonder about cold water, I haven't noticed any difference in temperature and I've used it for hour long dives down to 38*.

Jack

Rcontrera
07-24-2009, 03:30
Dang ... I am going against the current here, but I have to vote against the "hole" idea since it will not only let air out, but allow a free flow of water to come back in.

Instead, put a very short slit in the material, It will still keep water out, but will allow collecting air to "burp" out the slit. I have been doing it that way since the late 70s and it has worked great for me and all my old customers (had a dive shop until the early 90s).

gNats
07-24-2009, 08:42
I used a (metal) :smiley2: coat hanger over my gas stove. Those plastic ones are not as efficient.

:smilie40:

I put 3 holes in the top of mine, one toward the front, middle, and near the back.

Jack Hammer
07-25-2009, 00:48
Dang ... I am going against the current here, but I have to vote against the "hole" idea since it will not only let air out, but allow a free flow of water to come back in.

Instead, put a very short slit in the material, It will still keep water out, but will allow collecting air to "burp" out the slit. I have been doing it that way since the late 70s and it has worked great for me and all my old customers (had a dive shop until the early 90s).
Maybe it depends on the size of the hole getting put in the hood and the type of neoprene/thickness of the hood. As I mentioned, I'm diving in Lake Michigan down to 38* with a hole burnt in the top, back of head, and one at both ears and I've never felt a "free flow" of water. In fact I've never felt any water come through the hood at all, but I only made a tiny hole using a flimsy drycleaner hanger, nothing too big. It has helped immensely with the air bubble that used to get trapped in my hood when my drysuit would burp. I've heard really good things from folks using a small slit too, I was too paranoid and ignorant of how the neoprene would holdup long term so I went with a hole.

Jack

GFD113
04-04-2010, 14:35
Ok I know Im late out of the gate but, caniI do this with a hood thats built in to the suit?

navyhmc
04-04-2010, 15:02
Ok I know Im late out of the gate but, caniI do this with a hood thats built in to the suit?

Depends on the suit. I would be reluctant to do it on a semi-dry, but a reg ular wetsuit, I don't see a problem...it's up to you, it's your suit. :smiley20:

GFD113
04-05-2010, 11:38

Depends on the suit. I would be reluctant to do it on a semi-dry, but a reg ular wetsuit, I don't see a problem...it's up to you, it's your suit. :smiley20:

Just a 7mm 2 pc, but I cant equalize with the hood.

navyhmc
04-05-2010, 11:47

Just a 7mm 2 pc, but I cant equalize with the hood.

I've heard some folks have an issue with that. Maybe a small hole in the ear area is what's needed. I have a vented hood so it's not a problem. The airbubble that I used to get bugged the hell out of me.

dannybot
04-18-2010, 18:56
I have a three mil hood, that I had the ballooning with on vacation a couple years ago. Since I didn't have any tools, I just used the scissor method mentioned above along the top and over the ears. I haven't had problems with cold water flooding or raveling. Both were a concern, but as I said, I had to improvise.

fire diver
04-19-2010, 12:48
[quote=wgt;294289] Remember to perform the maneuver while not wearing the hood.

If you forget this part, you wind up like NavyHMC! :smilie39:

navyhmc
04-19-2010, 12:57
Remember to perform the maneuver while not wearing the hood.

If you forget this part, you wind up like NavyHMC! :smilie39:

:smilie39: No, more like getting treated by NavyHMC. :smilie39:

GFD113
04-19-2010, 22:11
Ok that worked pretty good, still getting air around my butt though. Any ideas? :smilie39:

zoey
04-19-2010, 22:55
I used a knife to punch a hole in my 5mm hood last summer and haven't had a problem with ripping as of yet.

John Yaskowich
04-20-2010, 08:29
Ok that worked pretty good, still getting air around my butt though. Any ideas? :smilie39:
No beans with dinner the night before.

Peter Oak
04-21-2010, 15:11
Is there any images of the "how to" ?

Thank you all.

Best Regards
P.C.

Noob
04-21-2010, 15:13

install a purge valve.

Jack Hammer
04-21-2010, 15:52
Is there any images of the "how to" ?

Thank you all.

Best Regards
P.C.
Pictures really shouldn't be necessary for poking a hole in your hood with a hot item. It really is as easy as:
1. Get a small nail, a pair of plyers, and a flame (turn on the stove, light a candle, use a lighter, etc).
2. Hold small nail with pair of plyers in the flame until it glows.
3. Still holding nail with plyers, push hot nail through the top of hood (best location is around where men first develop a bald spot).
4. Extinguish flame and put away tools.
5. Go dive.

:smiley20:

PhD4JC
04-22-2010, 08:02
Is this something that should be done automatically with new hoods?

I am about to purchase one, and I would like to take care of it before I take it to Belize where I will not have a kitchen to perform hood surgery.

PhD4JC
04-22-2010, 08:04
I do not understand how a slit will let out bubbles, but not let in water, contrary to a nail sized hole???

GFD113
04-22-2010, 09:54

install a purge valve.

Its being caused by a purge valve:smilie39:

Jack Hammer
04-22-2010, 10:33
Is this something that should be done automatically with new hoods?

I am about to purchase one, and I would like to take care of it before I take it to Belize where I will not have a kitchen to perform hood surgery.

Many hoods come from the factory with a vent hole, some of those work better than others. I find with thicker hoods for colder waters the venting is more of an issue than with thinner warmer water hoods. PhD4JC, most hoods that are pre-vented have that listed in the description of it somewhere. If it doesn't say, ask who you're buying it from if it needs to be vented.

I do not understand how a slit will let out bubbles, but not let in water, contrary to a nail sized hole???

Air trapped in the hood will force the slit open and burp it out. Hoods don't keep water out as much as trap some inside it to keep your head warmer. A tiny slit will not allow enough water exchange to make an appreciable difference in warmth.

Gavin (saffa)
04-22-2010, 13:42
just take a wire coat hanger and unthread it, and heat the one end till its super hot.. ( do not wear hood while burning hole) now push the hot end thru the neoprene and bobs your auntie.... air vent... good luck

greenwood_60
10-19-2010, 12:12
Slit seems like a better idea in theory... but over time I would imagine that it would wear out before the burnt hole would. Or you could leave the non-vented hood as redundant buoyancy!

naplestreasures
11-20-2010, 16:53
A leather hole puch works great for making vent holes in a hood. I'm happy to be living down south and no longer need a hood.