PDA

View Full Version : So who dove this weekend?

navyhmc
05-03-2009, 12:31
May 2nd and 3rd that is.

It's now Sunday afternoon, the group has been a little quiet. Where's everbody been diving? I had family commitments so didn't get to dive. Hopefully will make another day trip to Oronogo on the 17th. :smiley20:

maverick
05-03-2009, 12:49
I think everyone hung up their diving equipment. Yea Navy it's real been quiet.

navyhmc
05-03-2009, 12:50
At least you guys got a dive in a few weeks ago. Wish I could havve made it.

maverick
05-03-2009, 13:49
Alot more dives left 2 do Navy.

Dark Wolf
05-03-2009, 17:17
I didn't dive this weekend, but am hoping to this next weekend......:)

DW

fire diver
05-03-2009, 17:21
I had tickets to the Jeff Dunham show in OKC last night. Next weekend MIGHT be open. Having a welcome home party, and I think it's being planned for Friday. If so, I am going to try to hit the water.

plot
05-03-2009, 21:21
i went to lake of the ozarks but never got within 5 feet of the water... wouldn't dive that place anyways.

lots of drinking, rode my atv, got alot of work done around the lakehouse, etc... good times.

sunburnt all to hell too. the clouds, they do nothing but make you forget to put on sunscreen.

DJBadfish
05-04-2009, 08:22
My buddies and I drove down to Lake Tenkiller yesterday (5-3). It was kindof miserable topside with the ambient air temp about 57 degrees and a steady rain, but the conditions underwater were quite nice! Water temp was about 59-63 degrees and visibility was 8-10 feet. It was my first time using alot of my equipment so it took awhile to get weights and trim right, but I did get one good (albiet short) dive in.
On the downside, I completely underestimated the bouyancy of a 7mm farmer john wetsuit. I had only dove 5mm standard wetsuits before and never had a problem getting down. Luckily I had rented a little extra weight anticipating the bouyancy...but damn...:anim_shock:

navyhmc
05-04-2009, 08:43
How mush did you need DJ?

MSilvia
05-04-2009, 09:22
No diving, but I scouted out a couple of new sites that look just fantastic. I probably won't get wet until the pending sale of thedecostop completes and I get some money for overdue gear maintainance.

DJBadfish
05-04-2009, 10:39
There was something seriously jacked with my bouyancy. I had every bit of air out of my BC. One month ago I dove with a standard 7mm in San Diego saltwater and used 38lbs of weight. When I did my dives at Tenkiller last year in a 5mm I used 26lbs. Since then I have lost about 10lbs of weight. Yesterday with my new 7mm farmer john and jacket with integrated hood and gloves I could barely get down with 50lbs. The wetsuit was the only thing different with my setup.

drako
05-04-2009, 11:08
Was not able to dive, however I did edit some photos and I am going this weekend.

Scuba Pete
05-04-2009, 11:44
There was something seriously jacked with my bouyancy. I had every bit of air out of my BC. One month ago I dove with a standard 7mm in San Diego saltwater and used 38lbs of weight. When I did my dives at Tenkiller last year in a 5mm I used 26lbs. Since then I have lost about 10lbs of weight. Yesterday with my new 7mm farmer john and jacket with integrated hood and gloves I could barely get down with 50lbs. The wetsuit was the only thing different with my setup.

That sounds like alot of weight to me. With my brand new 7mm Farmer John I need around 26lbs.

ndv21
05-04-2009, 12:44
I went out to Medina lake close to San Antonio, Tx this sunday. We have been in a really bad drought so the new entry point is now where an old platform used to stand at about 20ft. deep! Vis really sucked, about 1-2 ft. and it got worse at depth 1/2 ft.
I scratched the dive after 20 mins and decided to head over to the comal river for a long 75 minute drift dive. Max depth is about 8-10 ft. vis there was about 4-6 ft.
Overall, i had fun!

Brandon Belew
05-04-2009, 13:38
I didn't. No money :( Going to hawaii next weekend though! Well..sorta.. leave for vacation next friday, not actually departing for hawaii until monday I don't think. Spending a few days in huntington beach, ca before skirting across the pond.

navyhmc
05-04-2009, 13:42
And we switch the Pbbbbttt to Belew. :smiley36:

Cougar Diver
05-04-2009, 14:09
We dove at Lake Pleasant for the big scuba weekend!!

DMWiz
05-04-2009, 14:29
Does getting wet by the sprinklers in my lawn count? I dove into lawn maintenance mode this weekend. Chinch bugs and grubs are killing my grass. I will be doing the twisted steel tour in Key Largo this coming weekend however!

navyhmc
05-04-2009, 15:21
Does getting wet by the sprinklers in my lawn count? I dove into lawn maintenance mode this weekend. Chinch bugs and grubs are killing my grass. I will be doing the twisted steel tour in Key Largo this coming weekend however!

Only if you wore a tank... :smiley36:

What's "The Twisted Steel Tour?"

rayaa3
05-04-2009, 16:26

That does sound like a lot of lead. I'm thinking between tank, wetsuit (a wet wetsuit) and 50lbs lead - I'de be hard pressed to climb out of the water.

Have you ever dove in just skin (maybe in a pool?)? just curious what your baseline lead is for getting negatively bouyant - without all the neoprene.

back on the thread topic - no diving this weekend...however Memorial day a group of 8 of us are going down to Clear springs to do some camping and diving. :) can't wait.

DMWiz
05-04-2009, 17:08

Only if you wore a tank... :smiley36:

What's "The Twisted Steel Tour?"

LOL... I was thinking about my tanks and how dry they looked:smiley20:

The Keys Twisted Steel Tour is: The Duane, The Bibb, The Eagle and The Spiegle Grove.

Fireman6458
05-04-2009, 23:11
I guess I am one of the few who were fortunate enough to dive this past weekend. I went to the Dive-stop with a friend and got in a couple dives. Mainly just gettin used to the new gear. I have a public safety diver class all week, so I wanted to be prepared. Overall it was a decent day, temp was about 56 @ surface and 43 @ 50 ft. vis was around 10-20 ft depending on where you were.

DJBadfish
05-05-2009, 07:46
[quote=rayaa3;295167]

That does sound like a lot of lead. I'm thinking between tank, wetsuit (a wet wetsuit) and 50lbs lead - I'de be hard pressed to climb out of the water.

Have you ever dove in just skin (maybe in a pool?)? just curious what your baseline lead is for getting negatively bouyant - without all the neoprene.

[quote]

When I did my pool dives I used about 20lbs of weight. Being in that damn farmer john and jacket made me feel like I was in one of those arctic survival suits in the Bering Sea. That SOB would not sink for anything.

ndv21
05-05-2009, 07:54
[quote=navyhmc;295141][quote=DMWiz;295128]
The Keys Twisted Steel Tour is: The Duane, The Bibb, The Eagle and The Spiegle Grove.

Which dive op does this tour and how long does it take? is it done in just a weekend?

DMWiz
05-05-2009, 09:22

Which dive op does this tour and how long does it take? is it done in just a weekend?

It's not a tour at all that's just a phrase people use to refer to that string of wrecks. Actually there are 2 more (steel wrecks) that you can do in one weekend. Different ops call it different things. I've heard it called Tons of Steel too and it may refer to some or all of the steel wrecks in the middle to upper Keys.

We're doing 3 wrecks on Saturday and one Sunday morning with a couple reefs sprinkled in there too.

navyhmc
05-05-2009, 15:39
I have got to get back to the Keys! That sounds like "Tons" of fun! I will just have to steel myself up and head that way sometime. :smiley36:

IndyDiver
05-05-2009, 16:09
I'm headed to Largo in three weeks, but no "Tons of Steel" for me. I'm going with my wife, who is a critter person. I call her the Manatee diver because she just likes to float motionless above the reef and look at all the creatures.

Going back in October with my son for Fall break to do the twisted steel tour. We are going to try to do the Duane, Bibb, Grove and a Rescue class in 8 days.

That's the great thing about diving - something for every member of the family.

...and I get to go on ALL the trips.:smiley20: