PDA

View Full Version : Let the games begin!!

crosseyed95
05-05-2009, 19:54
The weather finally cooperated so the wife and I were able to take the new boat out for the first time. After a shakedown cruise, we anchored for a shallow dive. The weather cooperated but not enough to run out to a wreck in the Bay of Green Bay.

After relaxing for a while, we hit the water. We were in about 15' of water over several log piles and the first thing hit me was the visibility. It was like a pool. Normally this area has (on a good day) 10' of vis and (on a bad day) 2 feet. Once on the bottom I did some quick math and we had roughly 50' of clear water. I've never seen this before. I figured it would be a boring dive but nature has that way of throwing us divers the unexpected.

I was able to scope out the entire area and realized that I had the picture wrong in my head. I had placed everything incorrectly since I'd never actually mapped the area but had just put the pieces together in my head.

Well, up here season is on. Happy diving to all and enjoy the summer.

crosseyed95

BubblesMcCoy
05-05-2009, 20:29
What's the water temp up in Green Bay these days?

navyhmc
05-05-2009, 21:35
Sounds like a good dive! Hope the season is good for you.

Lake Michijim
05-06-2009, 08:55
I dove Porcupine Bay on the Wisconsin Door county peninsula on Sunday. Thats on the Green Bay side. I got down to 87 feet. Not bad for a shore dive. Temp at depth was a balmy 38F.
Monday I dove the S.S. Niagara off Belgium Wisconsin and a few other local spots. Again, 38F on all three dives. The top 20 feet or so the viz was around 100 feet. Below that around 25 or so.
I stopped by the Schooner Northerner to see if it had a line on it. Thats farther out in 135 feet of water. Someone had a jug on it and you could see way down. The Deeper wrecks in this area tend to have really good viz these days. I wish I could have dove the Northerner that day. Tempting, but it will have to wait.

Jim

crosseyed95
05-06-2009, 14:14

It was a nice 41 degrees. Figure once it hits 45 then I can get rid of the skin and just dive in a shorts and a t-shirt. Course, I may have to come off my acid trip first.

BubblesMcCoy
05-06-2009, 14:22

It was a nice 41 degrees. Figure once it hits 45 then I can get rid of the skin and just dive in a shorts and a t-shirt. Course, I may have to come off my acid trip first.

Just thinking about that is making me cold. Cold is for beer, not diving.

ndv21
05-06-2009, 14:57

i second that!

navyhmc
05-06-2009, 15:16
Anyone can dive warm waters. It takes a dedicated diver to go in the cold water. I would say at least 80% of my dives are in water under 65f and 90% onder 70f.

Lake Michijim
05-06-2009, 17:46
Anyone can dive warm waters. It takes a dedicated diver to go in the cold water. I would say at least 80% of my dives are in water under 65f and 90% onder 70f.

It takes a properly outfitted diver to do cold water. I dive a DUI CF200 front zip with a Viking dry glove system. Even in the coldest water I can do 30 minutes. The trick is maintaining your core temp. If you can do that you'll be fine. The only problem I really experience is when I'm doing video. Because my hands are holding on to the camera and not moving per say, they tend to get cold.
When you start poking around a 150 year old ship wreck you tend to forget about being cold anyway. I've been certified since 1978 and I dove a year before that. I still get excited when the wreck appears out of the gloom.:smiley20:

Jim

PS I should add that although I dive a rather expensive suit, that's not a requirement. I bought it for it's longevity as I dive ALOT. One of my dive buddies dives a Henderson he paid $600.00 for new. He's got over 300 dives on that suit now. Bare seems to be pretty popular too. I've dove Dive Concepts and Poseidon Unisuits in the past. They all work. The important thing is to dress for the conditions.

BubblesMcCoy
05-06-2009, 17:51

Let me rephrase. I can take the low sixties to mid fifties. Below that, motivation starts to become and issue. Granted, that in OK a wreck is usually defined as a pickup that landed in the lake after a drunken kegger.

But to each his own.

scubadiver888
05-06-2009, 17:59

You wear a t-shirt? :smiley36:

scubadiver888
05-06-2009, 18:05

I was trained and certified in Jamaica. I dove all around the Caribbean. To me cold was 70F. I'd talk to friends back home about diving here in Lake Ontario or Tobermory. My thinking was I'd die if I tried diving here. Two years ago I decided to suck it up and start diving here...

I LIKE IT!

It is no where as cold as everyone made me think it would be. The hood and gloves are a bit of a pain but otherwise it is great to be able to get more than a handful of dives in each year.

Plus once I got used to diving with all that protection and 22 lbs of weight, diving the Caribbean is a breeze.

scubadiver888
05-06-2009, 18:12
It takes a properly outfitted diver to do cold water. I dive a DUI CF200 front zip with a Viking dry glove system. Even in the coldest water I can do 30 minutes. The trick is maintaining your core temp. If you can do that you'll be fine. The only problem I really experience is when I'm doing video. Because my hands are holding on to the camera and not moving per say, they tend to get cold.

I dive wet and 90% of the guys I dive with dive dry. All the dry suit divers were complaining last fall about cold hands. My hands got a little cold near the end but nothing which bugged me.

When you start poking around a 150 year old ship wreck you tend to forget about being cold anyway. I've been certified since 1978 and I dove a year before that. I still get excited when the wreck appears out of the gloom.:smiley20:

Jim

You should dive up at Kingston, ON, Canada or to the east at Brockville. There must be over 500 wrecks on the east end of Lake Ontario.

PS I should add that although I dive a rather expensive suit, that's not a requirement. I bought it for it's longevity as I dive ALOT. One of my dive buddies dives a Henderson he paid $600.00 for new. He's got over 300 dives on that suit now. Bare seems to be pretty popular too. I've dove Dive Concepts and Poseidon Unisuits in the past. They all work. The important thing is to dress for the conditions.

Just bought a Henderson 7mm Thermoprene for $300. An extra $150 I got a 7mm tunic to go over it.

Waterproof (http://www.waterproof.se/main.php?lang=en) makes some nice gear as well.

crosseyed95
05-06-2009, 19:17

You wear a t-shirt? :smiley36:

I only make the wife to topless.