PDA

View Full Version : Dallas for Mem Day weekend and my fiancee needs to get certified!

ndv21
05-07-2009, 22:09
So this questions is mostly geared to our folks over at ST. Mi fiancee was scheduled to begin her OW cert class this next week and we just got a call that her instructor's father passed away so they cancelled for now. Problem is that we are going to Aruba in mid june and we have no time left between now and then due to our work schedules.

The only time we have available is memorial day weekend in which amazingly, we had already scheduled a trip to dallas to visit my sister. I was wondering, and maybe this is not possible, if ST would be able to get her certified in that 3 day weekend?

My diving in Aruba would be cut short because she won't be able to tag along and I do not want her doing a resort course. She needs the best instruction available because she is a little scared of the concept of scuba. Any possibilities on this happening?

I appreciate any feedback!

navyhmc
05-07-2009, 22:29
I know I'm not ST, but, the first question is have you talked with the scheduled instrutor about the issue? It's possible that arrangements could be made. Also, has she done any of the class work, or was she about to start that too?

If she has not done any of the course work yet, and it's a few weeks until you go up to ST, there might be a accreditied online class portion of the class she can do before she gets up there then all she needs is the pool time and then her OW check out which you might get done in Aruba.

Also, shoot Scuba Toys an email rather than just posting here. They are usually quick to reply to emails, not as fast here. Fast, but not as fast.

info@scubatoys.com (info@scubatoys.com)

Good luck and here's hoping it will fall in place for the both of you-let us know how things are porgressing.

bubbletrubble
05-07-2009, 22:43
So this questions is mostly geared to our folks over at ST. Mi fiancee was scheduled to begin her OW cert class this next week and we just got a call that her instructor's father passed away so they cancelled for now. Problem is that we are going to Aruba in mid june and we have no time left between now and then due to our work schedules.

The only time we have available is memorial day weekend in which amazingly, we had already scheduled a trip to dallas to visit my sister. I was wondering, and maybe this is not possible, if ST would be able to get her certified in that 3 day weekend?

My diving in Aruba would be cut short because she won't be able to tag along and I do not want her doing a resort course. She needs the best instruction available because she is a little scared of the concept of scuba. Any possibilities on this happening?

I appreciate any feedback!
@ndv21: Congrats on convincing your fiancee to get scuba-certified. It sounds like you two have some pretty hectic schedules.
I'm not an employee/representative of ScubaToys. I have no idea if they can get her certified in the three-day period over Memorial Day weekend.
I'm a little puzzled as to why you are so averse to a resort course and yet insist on having her get a quickie certification in the U.S.
Although quality of instruction is a consideration, I would say that a very important determinant of the training received is the pace of the learning. One reason that people steer clear of resort OW classes is because of the very short timeframe of the training -- too much, too fast. Since you mentioned that your fiancee expressed some trepidation about the sport, she would probably benefit from learning at a more relaxed pace. I'd recommend not rushing things; let her take her time. This will allow her to get the most out of her training and develop good habits for the future, which is far more important than getting in a few vacation dives...but that's just my opinion.
Good luck with your decision.
Have fun and dive safe...

ndv21
05-07-2009, 23:24
Thanks for the suggestions/comments! A few months ago, she did the "discover Scuba" portion at the pool and she enjoyed it (eventhough she complained of things like mouthpiece too big, wetsuit too big., BC too small, etc.) those are fixeable issues so she is willing to give it a shot.

Her classes were going to start next week on tuesday meeting everyday for 1 hr since her schedule is pretty hectic. The weekends were going to be used for her poolwork and checkout dives.

I feel that she would not grasp all the concepts if she only did a little piece at a time for 1 hr per week, combined with work, school, etc. She is not so good at multi-tasking.
Since we are going to dallas on vacation, she can devote 100% of her time and attention to scuba. I do want her to take her time and learn properly and a resort course will not make her aware of EVERYTHING. I took one myself before getting certified and was dissapointed.
I am a HUGE fan of safety during a dive and i want her to be aware of all the different concepts, equipment, and environment that pertain to this awesome sport.
I have also been playing around with the idea of getting my rescue cert at the same time in dallas since I already have AOW, Nitrox, wreck specialties. I think i will call ST tomorrow and pick their brain as for their availibility for that weekend and if it is possible to get her books shipped over here beforehand.

Please feel free to comment on anything i mentioned. I really do appreciate everyone's feedback.

Thanks!

ndv21
05-08-2009, 22:03
Ok so I spent the day doing a lot of research into what our options were. I called ST and explained the situation and they said that we can definately work out all the classwork and poolwork but memorial day weekend will just not be enough time to finish the checkout dives so that the best option would be to do the referral program and have her do her checkout dives in Aruba. So I did more research....

Options are:

1. Another LDS in San Antonio can get get her certified (even though I really hate their customer service) and the price for the course is about $450.

2. ST said they will work on all class/poolwork during mem day weekend and the cost will be $200. After doing some research on aruba, i find out that all shops are PADI and ST is NAUI so I am not sure if they would even accept her classwork to begin with. The cost for the referral dive program is $250 so it ends up being the same as doing the whole thing in San Antonio.

I really hit a wall on this one since I know that the option of just doing her entire certification in Aruba is not what she has in mind for our honeymoon (eat will eat up too much time from all other activities we want to do).

I read on another post that ST was able to get 2 brothers certified on a 3 day weekend and not that i am asking for special treatment, but it would greatly help out on her situation.

Any other options that i might be overlooking?

Divingguy
05-10-2009, 20:44
Sorry, but by waiting until this close to a trip which was presumably planned some time ago, and with so many restrictions on what time you can make available to get her trained, you are putting WAY too much pressure on your fiance, and ANY dive shop.
What you may not understand is that there are limits on how many dives can be conducted on any given day. Normally the open water course is done over the space of two consecutive weekends. The book work and test must be taken before you show up on Saturday of the first weekend. Saturday morning of weekend one is paperwork, waivers, the risk video, etc.... Saturday afternoon is pool session 1, with dives 1 and 2, and Sunday is pool session 2, with dives 3, 4 and 5. The open water dives are then generally done the NEXT weekend, with dives ALL day Saturday, and Sunday. Again, there are strict rules about how many dives can be done. The ONLY thing I can suggest is that you ask ST or some other dive shop about doing a "private" to get the class and pool done, but it will still take more than ONE three day weekend.
One other point that needs to be made - the fact that you or she pays for the course does NOT guarantee that she gets a card. There are times when students can not or do not complete required skills. Again, the list of requirements is NOT negotiable, and NO instructor (that I work with) is going to "sell" her a card, because his/her name will be on it. We just had a student this weekend who came back after not being able to successfullyty complete some of his skills last weekend. We got him done, but he devoted the time and energy as well.
If your fiance has "issues", and now you are putting her under a real time crunch, it may not be fair to anyone.
I truly hope that you can get this worked out, but am also hoping that having a better understanding of what is involved will give you a better appreciation for why this is proving to be more difficult than you had hoped.
Good luck.
Tom

ndv21
05-10-2009, 21:33
It was already worked out before her instructor had a death in the family. I FULLY understand what is required. I am just working within the timeframe I have. Obviously, if it cant be done well it cant be done but i was simply putting the situation out there.

Sansho
05-10-2009, 21:36
You may want to consider doing the classroom/pool work in Dallas, and then do the referral in Aruba. Mermaid Dive Center and Aruba Pro Dive do NAUI instruction (I don't know anything about them, just googled 'naui aruba'). That breaks it up and doesn't put so much pressure on your fiancee.