PDA

View Full Version : Compact strobe suggestions

azdiver
05-09-2009, 12:58
Have been using the S&S 8000G since it came out but will most likely upgrade next year... not sure what I will upgrade to though. http://www.uwphotochat.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I have only used the internal flash and have been very pleased with most of my results since I shoot mainly close up and macro. However I will be heading to Lembeh in December and know that I will hate myself if I don't have a strobe with me on this trip!!

Open for suggestions... have been considering the S&S YS27DX, the Fantasea Remora and the new Ikelite AF35. Want to keep it compact and travel friendly!

Open to suggestions and feedback.

Have heard some good things about the nano focus light and think I will use that with whatever strobe I do get.

I'm heading to San Salvador in June and would love to get it in time to take it there with me so I can practice working with the settings, etc. Haven't used a strobe since I sold my nikonos V and went digital.

gee
05-09-2009, 16:44
Like you, I was strobeless for a while. I recently bought the Inon s-2000 and am very pleased with the size. I have to wait a few more weeks before I take it on a dive.

jugglematt
05-09-2009, 21:54
Hi Azdiver
there are a number of strobes on the market that would be good for what your shooting .
the main recomendation i would give is buy a strobe that can grow with you and one that has full manual controll as well as auto setings
i think a ys 27 would be ok for macro but quite limited if you ever wanted to start shooting wider stuff or fish portraits.
for a little bit more expense you could buy a sea&seays110 or a Inon d2000 both of these strobes are tried and tested have full manual controll and will have enough power to shoot some wide stuff if you ever want to . both these strobes are fairly compact.

i purchaced a inon strobe a d180 a few years back and it has been on about 700 dives and is still going strong , i have kept that strobe and used it on different setups i have had . so if you buy a good strobe you should have it for years and hundreds of dives to come .

when i worked on a dive boat more than half of the strobes that came onboard were Inons and i did not see one Inon flood
if you purchace a strobe with too strong power you can dial the output down , but if you purchace a strobe with too little output you cant increase it .

hope this helps
Regards
Matty

DevilDiver
05-09-2009, 22:38
Check out this website: Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network (http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php)

The Inon S 2000 is a great strobe, small and light weight. It has a little more coverage, slightly brighter and TTL capable vs. the YS 27's but less flashes per charge and around $100 more than the YS 27. Either would be good a strobe.....(I shoot duel YS 27's)

I would avoid the Ike AF35 and the Remora compaired to the two above.

CompuDude
05-10-2009, 00:05
Have heard some good things about the nano focus light and think I will use that with whatever strobe I do get.

FWIW, the guys at Reef Photo turned me away from the Fantasea Nano focus light. They said they evaluated them but that the quality control was terrible and they stopped carrying them. They sell the nearly-identical Fisheye FIX nano focus light, which I've just started to use, and I've been very pleased with it.

I second the recommendation for Inon strobes. Simply fantastic. The new S2000 series is a good place to look if the full size D2000 series (or better yet, Z240) is too large.

rawalker
05-10-2009, 22:01
I've been using a pair of Pixtreme PX21 with fairly good results. You'll have a had time setting up something more compact.

azdiver
05-11-2009, 18:23
Actually, I have since narrowed my choices down to the s-2000 or the ys-110a.

I started shooting underwater in 1989 and never got into wide angle in all this time so I don't see me getting interested in it now. :smiley8::smiley8:

However while I am leaning towards the inon (it's $200 cheaper and smaller) my concern is that now that inon usa has been shut down, I would have to send it back to Japan for repairs. :scared:

CompuDude
05-11-2009, 18:35

I started shooting underwater in 1989 and never got into wide angle in all this time so I don't see me getting interested in it now. :smiley8::smiley8:

However while I am leaning towards the inon (it's $200 cheaper and smaller) my concern is that now that inon usa has been shut down, I would have to send it back to Japan for repairs. :scared:

I wouldn't worry about that. Seriously. Inon makes the best strobes out there, IMO.

azdiver
05-11-2009, 19:32

I wouldn't worry about that. Seriously. Inon makes the best strobes out there, IMO.

Will admit that I am leaning more that way... I like their products and the strobe really is nice and compact.

I remember emailing back and forth with Mark Rupert helping to correct the translations on the close-up lens for him when he was first introducing that line to the US. Was sorry to hear that Inon USA was closed.

jugglematt
05-13-2009, 02:46
i have to say the after sales service i get from inon is excellent, and with the speed of postage and email you can get stuff fast .
i purchace my inon stuff from JPN if i place the order on mon i will have the items BEFORE friday that week , service and repairs are usually completed in 2 weeks

Matt

drako
05-13-2009, 08:53
Inon s-2000 is tiny and a great buy

Tassie Diver
06-08-2009, 06:04
Let me add another vote for the Inon strobes. I've been using one for a few years now and love it to death. Fibre optic connection takes all the worry out of flooding of strobe ports.

Cheers

TD.

azdiver
06-08-2009, 09:38
I will definitely get an inon when I buy a strobe.... only now I am looking into upgrading my whole system after my June trip. :smiley32:

If I decide to upgrade I will be selling my S&S DX-8000G which was completely overhauled and brought back to dealer specs!

azdiver
07-28-2009, 21:31
Well... sold off my S+S and moved over to the G10 with canon housing and inon S-2000. :smiley20:

Now all I need is to figure out how to set up the strobe and attach the fiber optic cable. If anyone is using the same gear I would love for you to post a detailed pic of how you attached the cable to the canon housing.

waytooslow
07-28-2009, 21:47
which canon housing? does it have the diffuser? I just finished my mods on a 720IS with Canon housing, sea n sea arm and a YZ27 strobe, ended up reproducing the diffuser in an opaque plastic, and mounting the fiber optic cable to the plastic diffuser. I will try to get a pic up on the set up. Next strobe will be an Inon. and have my eyes on a G10 as well. maybe a slr. all it takes is cash

azdiver
07-28-2009, 22:30
which canon housing? does it have the diffuser? I just finished my mods on a 720IS with Canon housing, sea n sea arm and a YZ27 strobe, ended up reproducing the diffuser in an opaque plastic, and mounting the fiber optic cable to the plastic diffuser. I will try to get a pic up on the set up. Next strobe will be an Inon. and have my eyes on a G10 as well. maybe a slr. all it takes is cash

It's their dc-28 housing for the G10. I won't be using the housing's diffuser since I am going to use the S-2000 strobe and will use the strobe's diffuser as needed depending on the shot. The setup for the cable for my equipment will be different from how you have yours setup though as my cable mounts directly to the housing... problem is I was also sent 2 rubber plug bushings and told that they would be need as well... can't figure out where they go though

Nemrod
08-08-2009, 18:49
The compact Inon D2000 has an External Auto mode which is quite useful, the smaller S2000 only has manual and sTTL modes, comparable power and coverage but no External Auto. N

azdiver
08-08-2009, 21:50
The compact Inon D2000 has an External Auto mode which is quite useful, the smaller S2000 only has manual and sTTL modes, comparable power and coverage but no External Auto. N

My setup is complete and I'm supposed to be heading off to Fiji on a fam trip the beginning of october.... will try it all out then. In the meantime, I will play with the G10 on the surface to get familiar with it. :smiley20:

I love how compact the S-2000 is!!

UnderwaterAsia
08-08-2009, 23:33
My vote goes to Inon - They do a great job, are easy to use, fairly lightweight and very reliable. Plus relatively cheap. I've been using Inon strobes for 2 years now and they have never let me down.

azdiver
08-09-2009, 09:16
Just started my search for the best buy for precharged batteries for the strobe. Found some of the Duracell precharged on ebay at $9 for a package of 4. Will also get some of the eneloop and then see which seems to work out better with the strobe.

I was able to get extra capacity 1700 mAh batteries for my G10 for $9 as well...