PDA

View Full Version : New diver got nose bleed

lespaulsf
05-11-2009, 10:18
Hi

I'm a new diver. This past weekend I did my first two dives out of OW class! It was really amazing. Although each when each dive ended I took of my mask and several of my dive buddies said I had a "squid" or bloody nose. Although I spit up mucus/blood and wiped my face of and was fine. Not for sure why this happened it didn't in my OW certification so not for sure. The second dive I had a little trouble equalizing but this was most likely because I forgot to pre equalize before descending.

Why did my nose bleed and or why did i spit up a little blood?

scubadiver888
05-11-2009, 10:49
Hi

I'm a new diver. This past weekend I did my first two dives out of OW class! It was really amazing. Although each when each dive ended I took of my mask and several of my dive buddies said I had a "squid" or bloody nose. Although I spit up mucus/blood and wiped my face of and was fine. Not for sure why this happened it didn't in my OW certification so not for sure. The second dive I had a little trouble equalizing but this was most likely because I forgot to pre equalize before descending.

Two things jump to mind. First is that scuba air has no moisture (don't want to rust the inside of the scuba cylinder). If you are not well hydrated you can get a dry nose and some bleeding. In and of itself this is not a big problem but not being well hydrated increases your risk of DCS. Make sure you are well hydrated. Remember that alcohol and caffeinated beverages will dehydrate you.

Other thing might be not equalizing properly. If you are doing it properly you should never feel pressure in your ears. I'll leave it up to you to research different ways of clearing your ears (search the forums). If you do feel pressure and it feels uncomfortable to clear your ears go back up 1 or 2 feet then clear your ears. Do not force it. Most often you'll have the most trouble in the first 10 to 15 feet. Once you get down it will become easier to clear your ears.

Once you start noticing the slight changes in your ears, you can actually use your ears as depth gauges. When I feel my ears change I realize I'm changing depth without even checking my gauges. This is how I learn to stay at 15' without checking my gauges.

lespaulsf
05-11-2009, 13:11
Wow I guess no one has had this problem before. Any other advice or comments.

scubadiver888
05-11-2009, 13:31

Or everyone is at work. I usually wait 24 hours. International forums. Some people are asleep, some are at work, some are out diving.

JCAT
05-11-2009, 14:36

Sure, its happened to me a few times, I don't worry too much about it since it's usually bloody snot.

Could happen for a couple of reasons. Might be some weaker capillaries close to the surface weeping. Could be pressure squeeze in your mask causing same. Could be the dry air. Could be something else, hard to say.

Unless it happens every time you dive, then I would not worry too much otherwise see a Ear, Nose, and Throat doc, preferably one who dives.

If no one told you, welcome to the best board on the net!

Wait a min!

What do you mean spit up? What color was the blood? Bright red or dark/black?

cheers

navyhmc
05-11-2009, 15:23
JCAT and sd888 have pretty much nailed it for you. A little dehydration maybe a mask squeeze.

If it's just a tinge of blood and a lot of mucuous-especially slightly yellow, you could have a minor sinus infection going on. If this is the case, the reason you notice it after the dive is the additional airpressure in your sinuses kind of blows it out as you come to the surface.

Vlane
05-11-2009, 17:07
I don't have any knowledge on the issue, but i too had a small nosebleed on one of my OW checkout dives. Only time it's happened so i'm not worried about it.

crosseyed95
05-11-2009, 17:16
I've seen this with several divers. This above posts pretty much explain it. I did however see a diver who had a purge on his mask. He would exhale out his nose for some reason. Because of the dry air he would get nose bleeds. We got him to stop breathing out his nose and boom the nose bleeds went away. But, again, it was the dry air.

cruzan
05-11-2009, 19:06
This happen to me when I first started diving. I was worried initially but turns out it was just dry air as others have stated. I eventually got used to the air and have not had any problems. This did not take long I only have 16 dives so far. Hope things work out as easily for you.
Spitting up blood was probanly just drips from nose bleed.

BubblesMcCoy
05-11-2009, 20:09
You might try a saline irrigation spray. Costs about $5 at Walgreens. I take it with me especially when I do altitude dives as my nose is usually pretty dry by the time we get suited up. Also seems to help with sinus squeeze.

On the plus side, can't hurt to try.

Coastie6
05-11-2009, 20:40
I wouldn't be too concerned. As has been suggested, hydration prior to your dive and after, saline spray is great stuff and watch for sinus squeeze. Could also be partially due to the above in conjunction with seasonal allergies which are in high swing in many areas of the Country now. Certainly if it persists or worsens see an ENT, but as with any medical problem related to diving try to seek the advise of one experienced in dive medicine, otherwise you are likely to hear "well then don't dive".

clayton
05-11-2009, 20:49
Many good replies here but when i had the same condition as new diver i found that it was caused by acending too fast.Keep your acents slow and i think you will solve the problem.

snagel
05-12-2009, 05:48
A little bloody snot, especially, this time of year not too big of a concern. It is the Midwest and the peak of the allergy season. A flowing bloody nose after diving would freak me out and send me to the emergency room.

Snagel

lespaulsf
05-12-2009, 08:35
You might try a saline irrigation spray. Costs about $5 at Walgreens. I take it with me especially when I do altitude dives as my nose is usually pretty dry by the time we get suited up. Also seems to help with sinus squeeze.

I will try doing that maybe that is my problem with the nose bleeds. Although I had my wife who is a PA look at my ears and she said there is a small amount of blood in both ears. So it seems I might have tried to go down to fast. Although my ears really didn't hurt to bad. But the past few days there are little tender since the dives on Saturday. She told me to not dive until they clear up and to take a steroid nose spray to open my eustation tubes so they can drain. I guess this just comes with being a new diver.

BubblesMcCoy
05-12-2009, 09:24

I will try doing that maybe that is my problem with the nose bleeds. Although I had my wife who is a PA look at my ears and she said there is a small amount of blood in both ears. So it seems I might have tried to go down to fast. Although my ears really didn't hurt to bad. But the past few days there are little tender since the dives on Saturday. She told me to not dive until they clear up and to take a steroid nose spray to open my eustation tubes so they can drain. I guess this just comes with being a new diver.

Blood in the ears would probably send me to a doctor just to be safe. My dive buddy's ears get a bit sore after repetitive dives, but I wouldn't automatically accept the fact of pain after diving. I agree with previous posts, I'd find a Doc who is a diver or who sees a lot of divers.

Good luck.

scubadiver888
05-12-2009, 09:46

If you are hearing a whooshing sound when you clear your ears you are probably waiting too long to clear them. In the first 10 feet I'm usually clearing my ears as fast as I can (every 1 to 2 seconds). A little faster than I can swallow; try swallowing repeatedly as fast as you can. Clear your ears faster than that.

Additionally, steroid nose spray will increase your risk for sinus infection. Make sure you regs are well cleaned. I wouldn't even consider using rental regs if I was using my steroid nose spray.

Welcome to the wonderful world of diving. It gets better as you find your groove. :smiley2:

Note: best thing you can do is work on your buoyancy control. If you are wearing too much weight, you'll sink faster and therefore have to clear your ears faster. If you have just enough weight to get you down, you'll descend a little slower and have less trouble clearing your ears. There are numerous other benefits related to good buoyancy control (you'll see more as you dive, you'll be able to handle more advanced dives, you'll use less air, etc.)

fisheater
05-12-2009, 10:21
Your best source for diving medical information is the Divers Alert Network. They have a phone line staffed by experts that will answer such questions, regardless of whether the caller is a member. (Membership HIGHLY recommended!)

1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948, Mon-Fri, 8:30am-5:00pm (ET)

DAN Divers Alert Network (http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/default.aspx)

lespaulsf
05-12-2009, 11:04

If you are hearing a whooshing sound when you clear your ears you are probably waiting too long to clear them. In the first 10 feet I'm usually clearing my ears as fast as I can (every 1 to 2 seconds). A little faster than I can swallow; try swallowing repeatedly as fast as you can. Clear your ears faster than that.

Additionally, steroid nose spray will increase your risk for sinus infection. Make sure you regs are well cleaned. I wouldn't even consider using rental regs if I was using my steroid nose spray.

Welcome to the wonderful world of diving. It gets better as you find your groove. :smiley2:

Note: best thing you can do is work on your buoyancy control. If you are wearing too much weight, you'll sink faster and therefore have to clear your ears faster. If you have just enough weight to get you down, you'll descend a little slower and have less trouble clearing your ears. There are numerous other benefits related to good buoyancy control (you'll see more as you dive, you'll be able to handle more advanced dives, you'll use less air, etc.)

I have my own regulator setup. I actually went down pretty slow the first dive because I was weighted just barely enough to get me down. Although on the second dive I keep the same weight but tried to push my self down maybe and got frustrated because I was hardly descending. I know all of these issues I had were because of the inexperience of being a new diver.

I will try swallowing every few seconds with blowing through my nose pinched. I think I just need to find what works for me best. I need to find some information on it. I watched the video about Ear Clearing from the University of Washington but I guess it didn't help.

scubadiver888
05-12-2009, 11:42
I will try swallowing every few seconds with blowing through my nose pinched. I think I just need to find what works for me best. I need to find some information on it. I watched the video about Ear Clearing from the University of Washington but I guess it didn't help.

Another technique my instructor showed me last year was to push you lower jaw out and swallow. We'd just finished a dive and my ears were a little clogged. I gave it a try and my ears actually cleared. I didn't even realize my ears were clogged until I did it.