PDA

View Full Version : catalina tanks

Okc_diver
05-11-2009, 20:18
is this a good deal??

A woman I work with was telling me that her boyfriends daughter took scuba lessons because this guy she was dating was a diver she bought all her gear and a new tank. During her last dive she decided this is not for her so she stopped diving. My friend at work asked me if I would like to buy the tank I said how much...she had me come over and look at it I saw it was due for a hydro. No scratches anywhere looked like one that came straight from the manafactur I took the tank to get hydro'd and a VIP it cost 50.00 for both. I told my friend and she said have fun with your tank you owe nothing.

it's a 3000 series 3000psi (207 bar) S80 has a boot and tank mesh protector neon green. Is there anyplace I could take the tank to get it repainted???

The Great Kazoo
05-11-2009, 21:05
I would just strip the paint. It looks better and will last longer because water will not sit under the paint and corrode the tank itself. Get rid of the boots and mesh as well. Just my opinion. My (12) tanks are in great shape....

CompuDude
05-11-2009, 21:15
If the OEM paint is in perfect shape, don't mess with it. If you really want to play with hazardous chemicals you can use a certain type of airplane paint remover to strip them (I think the Luxfer site has details on the type), but otherwise there's no need.

I would, however, ditch the mesh.

$50 for an Al.80 in good shape with fresh hydro and VIP is a fantastic price.

navyhmc
05-11-2009, 21:47
I'd just keep it as is and start diving with it. You got a good deal, go with it.

IndyDiver
05-11-2009, 22:02
I'd just dive it the way it is. If anyone says anything about the neon green color, just tell them you got it for 50 bucks. I guarantee they'll ask you if there are any more neon green tanks available that they can get!

tk trekers
05-11-2009, 22:07
If you're that adverse to the color, I'll drive up and give you $50 for the tank and you won't have to worry about the color anymore and you won't be out any money, sound OK to you?