PDA

View Full Version : Ranger vs Ranger LTD

ScubaCaveman
05-12-2009, 10:21
Is the LTD worth the extra bucks over the regular Ranger? Can someone run down the differences to me?

CompuDude
05-12-2009, 13:48
Is the LTD worth the extra bucks over the regular Ranger? Can someone run down the differences to me?

I'd get the Brigade rather than the Ranger, unless you want to spend the extra money on looks. Or actually plan to go into combat with it.

ScubaCaveman
05-13-2009, 10:31
Well, since I can get the Ranger and Ranger LTD for 30% off right now it seems like the better deal. Specifically the LTD I guess. I don't think I can get the 30% off on a brigade with the Zeagle sale, can I?

I'd get the Brigade rather than the Ranger, unless you want to spend the extra money on looks. Or actually plan to go into combat with it.

IndyDiver
05-13-2009, 10:47
There are a few past threads that discuss the differences. Basically the LTD has zippers on the sides of the vest to attach zeagle accessories that also have zippers. With the regular Ranger you have to attach accessories using quick-links or bungee.

For the price difference, those are some expensive zippers.

ScubaCaveman
05-13-2009, 11:32
There must be more to it than that? Those zippers can't be the only difference!

CompuDude
05-13-2009, 12:42
How are you getting 30% off?

Ranger LTD (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZeagleRangerLTD2009) is $770 - 30% = $539
Ranger (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Ranger) is $630 - 30% = $441
Brigade (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ZeagleBrigade) is $400 - 10% (forum discount) = $360

Unless there is a reason you NEED few features the Ranger or LTD offer over the Brigade... and frankly, I have yet to meet the person who does... I don't see any way the Ranger(s) can be a better deal than the Brigade.

You can use the Ranger for doubles, technically. But ask nearly anyone, and they'll tell you you won't want to. Ooooh, zippers?

Brigade is the way I'd go, but it's your money.

Well, since I can get the Ranger and Ranger LTD for 30% off right now it seems like the better deal. Specifically the LTD I guess. I don't think I can get the 30% off on a brigade with the Zeagle sale, can I?

IndyDiver
05-13-2009, 12:45
Up until last year, that was the only difference between the two BC's (except that the LTD came with the rear trim weight pockets standard and on the Ranger they were an option)

For 2009 the LTD harness system has been updated, and the regular Ranger still retains the 2008 styling. They both use the same 44 lb bladders, have the same ripcord weight system, and have very similar cumberbunds. The big difference (besides the zippers) is that the new harness on the LTD is in two sections and can swivel on the lower d-ring; the 2008 harness is a 2" webbing strap with a slight fixed curve to it. Zeagle says the new harness is more comfortable, YMMV.

The only difference between the ranger and the brigade is that the ranger has a 44lb bladder and the brigade has a 35lb bladder. That is the ONLY difference. For my money, the 35 lb bladder is a better choice for single tanks than the 44lb anyway. (I have a ranger with a 44lb and my son has a brigade with a 35 lb)

nrembis
05-13-2009, 16:56

The Ranger LTD comes with the additional rear weight pockets and a sewn in lumbar pad, these 2 items items would be an additional $80.00 if added to the Brigade or regular Ranger

IndyDiver
05-13-2009, 17:09

The Ranger LTD comes with the additional rear weight pockets and a sewn in lumbar pad, these 2 items items would be an additional $80.00 if added to the Brigade or regular Ranger

The 2009 Ranger comes with the rear weight pockets as standard equipment. The 2008 did not.

I am not sure about the brigade. My son's came with them on it at no charge, but they are not mentioned on the ST website.

Moediver
06-08-2009, 17:25
I just bought the Ranger LTD last season and thought for the little extra money the LTD gave me a few extra options (rear weight pockets, lumbar support, side zipper for poney bottle). I am glad I went with the LTD.

Chilkie
06-11-2009, 21:24
I just bought a custom colored Ranger. Love it. When I was researching whether to go with the Ranger or the Ranger LTD. I was told that they don't do custom colors on the Ranger LTD anymore. Something to do with the change in construction on the '09 model.

ScottZeagle
06-12-2009, 09:16
I just bought a custom colored Ranger. Love it. When I was researching whether to go with the Ranger or the Ranger LTD. I was told that they don't do custom colors on the Ranger LTD anymore. Something to do with the change in construction on the '09 model.

Almost all of our BCs are available in custom colors, including the LTD.

The "standard" color for the LTD is Smoke Grey/Black, but we can make it out of any color we have!!

I hope that clears things up.

Scott

(Nice custom BC, by the way!!)

Chilkie
06-12-2009, 15:14
Darn you ST for giving me erroneous info.!!!!!! Now I'll have to buy an NC State BCD Ranger LTD to boot (and throw in a Brigade while I'm at it). Awww what the heck, still love my Ranger.
Scott, thanks a bunch for taking care of me in my efforts to personalize my gear. I really am stupidly delirious over the thing. :rofl: