PDA

View Full Version : Buddy got hurt, now no buddy

emantman
05-12-2009, 11:08
I have a boat trip at the end of June to Catalina, but my buddy got hurt recently so they can't go with me. Since I just moved to California, I don't have other buddies :(.

Will the boat allow me to dive solo (I'm an advanced diver)?

Thanks,
E

p.s., the boat is the "Bottom Scratcher"

emantman
05-12-2009, 11:33
Or does anyone want to go diving on June 20th to Catalina from Long Beach?

fisheater
05-12-2009, 12:18
Try posting this on the Southern California subforum of the California Kelp Divers forum on ScubaBoard.

CompuDude
05-12-2009, 13:37

Possibly, although the Bottom Scratcher is not one my favorite boats.

reactive
05-12-2009, 16:57
Call the charter company and explain your situation. I'm sure they'll be able to give you the best answer! ;)

plot
05-12-2009, 17:10
they might match you up with other solo divers. call and ask.

CompuDude
05-12-2009, 17:38
I have a boat trip at the end of June to Catalina, but my buddy got hurt recently so they can't go with me. Since I just moved to California, I don't have other buddies :(.

Thanks,
E

Wait you're an "advanced diver" with 0-24 dive under your belt, and you want to go solo?

emantman
05-12-2009, 18:18
It was in my enthusiasm to go diving that I 'thought' it would be ok.

It was after I pushed send that I realized it was ridiculous.
But thanks for keeping me honest.
--E

Daz
05-12-2009, 22:38

Possibly, although the Bottom Scratcher is not one my favorite boats.
Eek. The Bottom Scratcher felt and looked old 25 years ago - I can't imagine how she looks now. I'm hoping they've got a newer boat and are just recycling the old name...

navyhmc
05-12-2009, 22:48

Thanks,
E

I would imagine that unless you have a solo card and the extra gear, they will say no. Advanced or not. They may hook you up with the DM and havea loose buddy system with him, but letting you go totally solo? I would give odds against it.

Not saying you probably wouldn't be okay, just saying unless you can show a solo c-card, they will not let you due to the liability. But then again, stranger things have happened. Best you can do is ask and find out. They will probably go the Insta-Buddy route.

Good luck and have some good dives.

Okc_diver
05-13-2009, 20:08
I sent an email to the dive company I am using in Cozumel I explained that I am traveling solo and could they pair me up with like the insta-buddy. The email I got back was if they could not pair me up then I would be paired up with the DM. So send them an email or call and see if they could do that (couldn't hurt to ask!)

WaScubaDude
05-13-2009, 21:39
Just hop on the boat and they will pair or trippple you up and you can dive on!

navyhmc
05-14-2009, 00:04
My experience is that they will find a way to pair you up on the boat. You won't be the first to have this type of problem.

Sharklady13
10-28-2009, 16:39
When I was in Japan, I was without a dive buddy a lot of the times. The charter boat always just set me up with another solo diver or with the DM. I'd just call them and explain what happened. I'm sure they can set something up for you.