PDA

View Full Version : for all you anxious night divers

boates
05-12-2009, 21:24
out there.
The best way to start night diving is to go before dark. Time it that your dive is approximately 1/2 hr light(dusk), then it will just get progressively darker, and you will adjust as you go. In at light, out at dark.
Remember, dive plan, choose a site you know. and your light plus at least 1 back-up light, a personal (tank) marker(glow stick, light ) of your choice........all that said.....just go for it!!!:smiley20:

ScubaCaveman
05-15-2009, 10:57
Night diving is awesome. I did my first night dive late last summer and it was midnight when we got in the water. It was a site we had dived many times, but going at night made it a whole new experience!!

unclepooty
05-15-2009, 11:49
out there.
The best way to start night diving is to go before dark. Time it that your dive is approximately 1/2 hr light(dusk), then it will just get progressively darker, and you will adjust as you go. In at light, out at dark.
Remember, dive plan, choose a site you know. and your light plus at least 1 back-up light, a personal (tank) marker(glow stick, light ) of your choice........all that said.....just go for it!!!:smiley20:

Good plan. That's the way we did our first night dive, and everyone was very comfortable with it.

paperdesk
05-15-2009, 13:07
Good idea. Many of the creatures you would like to see at night are also active at twilight.

cruzan
05-16-2009, 07:29
Going to be doing my 1st night dive this fall in St Croix. I've done the same dive in daylight so it should help with any nervousness I have.

jafo123
05-16-2009, 07:45
I had a great time on my first night dive. I'm having trouble convincing the wife to give it a try.

mm2002
05-16-2009, 10:05
I loved night diving so much that I did the padi specialty (just to have the card I guess :smiley36:) I agree, starting at dusk is the most fun. My thoughts on lighting; in clear water you CAN have too much. You don't want to scare all the critters away nor blind other divers. With multiple divers, try putting a different color glow stick on everyone's tank valve. It's pretty cool to look around and know who everyone is.

navyhmc
05-16-2009, 11:11
I've never had a bad time on me night dives. My first sal wate night dive was a little spooky because I was sure something was going to come along and eat me. When they didn't I just kept at it. One thing I've done is had different color glow sticks for buddy pairs on larger groups. That way if you do get separated by a little, you know what color to look for. I've also noted a lot of charters put a strobe on the ascent line to help you find your way home.

mm2002
05-16-2009, 15:43
I've also noted a lot of charters put a strobe on the ascent line to help you find your way home.

I can see how that would help you get back to the boat, but how would it help you find your way home? I use a GPS for that, but I'm always willing to learn new tricks from you elderly folks.

Okc_diver
05-16-2009, 18:45
I will be doing my first night dive this weekend in Cozumel and I can't wait. While I was doing my deep dive last year the sun was starting to go down we were in a lake with mountains all around (near Lawton) and as we went deeper it got dark. My instructor only had a small backup light with batteries that really needed to be changed before we went in (they didn't), I had no light 50 feet down it was dark has vis about 1 foot. I kept thinking some large fish was going to swim by and suprise me. So I now have a new light, beacon, and great vis to look foward to!

mm2002
05-16-2009, 20:21
I will be doing my first night dive this weekend in Cozumel and I can't wait. While I was doing my deep dive last year the sun was starting to go down we were in a lake with mountains all around (near Lawton) and as we went deeper it got dark. My instructor only had a small backup light with batteries that really needed to be changed before we went in (they didn't), I had no light 50 feet down it was dark has vis about 1 foot. I kept thinking some large fish was going to swim by and suprise me. So I now have a new light, beacon, and great vis to look foward to!

Being deep in a lake with limited vis IS basically a night dive, but worse. If you handled that OK, your dive in Cozumel will be a walk in the park. Have fun!

Vlane
05-17-2009, 13:31
Did my first night dive like this in a lake about a week ago. We used glow sticks on our tanks and a strobe on our dive flag to find our way back. It was an awesome dive and although wasn't a whole lot more to see when we did it i want to do it again.

UofTOrange
05-21-2009, 10:01
I actually prefer night diving to day diving. Especially when going deep. You don't get the nervousness down deep as much when you already started in the dark

petronius
06-27-2009, 22:32
out there.

That's how I did my first one, and it was very comfortable, especially since it was a very sheltered familiar spot. One thing to remember is to mark the exit very clearly - it can all look the same in the dark from water level. Our spot involves climbing down rocks (rip-rap) and while it's all doable, some parts are much easier...

bsktcase93
06-29-2009, 23:17
all my night dives have been at dutch springs. alittle nervous to do it in the ocean

TRiggER2117
07-27-2009, 11:19
thats a great idea! Ill have to convince my buds to do that so theyll go

3rdEye
07-27-2009, 11:27
i think doing a location you've dived frequently is a good idea, or at least scouting it out beforehand if you don't have a guide coming with you.

I wasn't really nervous my first time, but some people often are. It's defintely a different experience, your vision in my mind is a lot more focused because you're limited to seeing things that your light allows you to.

I love doing night dives in the caribbean...it's when all the octopus and eels come out of their hiding spots....and lots of other weird things. Don't forget to look up occasionally....you might see a school of squid hangin out.