PDA

View Full Version : Looking for local diving for this summer

FBH1
05-13-2009, 10:56
I was wondering if anybody here would tell me about some diving areas that are affordable and be able to take a weekend trip. My fiance and myself are looking for dive locations that we can dive at that won't take a long time to get to. We live in northern IN and are definately planning on diving at France Park sometime this summer. Any other locations that you guys can think of?

h2odragon1
05-13-2009, 11:00
There's Haigh Quarry in Illinois, near Kankakee
Home - Haigh Quarry - The Place for Scuba Diving in Northern Illinois (http://haighquarry.com/) Great place! My wife and I go one weekend a month May-Sept. We'll be there this weekend the 16th-17th.

gNats
05-13-2009, 11:03
Check out Midwestmuckdiving (http://midwestmuckdiving.com/) for a very solid listing of local diving holes in the Midwest.

Definitely check out Haigh Quarry. I haven't been there (YET) but I have heard it is a great quarry. Haigh can be found in the link I provided you.

You are also not far from Gilboa, WhiteStar, and Portage quarries (all in NW Ohio) especially if you are going to make a trip of the event. Been to all of them and they are fun weekends.

happy diving.

snagel
05-15-2009, 05:54
Might be a longer trip, but you need to take a trip to Mermet Springs in Southern Illinois. This is probably my favorite Midwest site.

Snagel

terfmop
05-15-2009, 20:12
Haigh is my favorite, but Mermet is nice too and worth the drive. France Park is also pretty good too (lots of spoonbills).

navyhmc
05-15-2009, 21:22
Gilboa should be about 3 hours away, not too bad of a drive. I've not bee nthere, but every diver I have talked to that has ahs not said a discouraging word about it. In fact from the sounds of things, Gilboa is going on my "Must Dive! List"

Gilboa Quarry Scuba Diving (http://www.divegilboa.com/)

scbagrrl74
05-16-2009, 10:41
Gilboa should be about 3 hours away, not too bad of a drive. I've not bee nthere, but every diver I have talked to that has ahs not said a discouraging word about it. In fact from the sounds of things, Gilboa is going on my "Must Dive! List"

We went to Gilboa in the summer of 2007 and were not that impressed. I am in no way trying to discourage anyone from going; just simply adding my experience to the mix!
Maybe we just caught people on an off day, but we found the staff to be very rude and indifferent. We waited for about ten minutes while one of the shop workers chatted on her cell phone!
I know this next statement will seem a little odd, but there were way to many "friendly" trout for me! I felt like I was being attacked because they swarm you! I realize that might be a highlight for others, but I don't like that many fish in my face!
Again, try it if you want, but we had a MUCH better experience at White Star and Portage Quarry, both of which are within close proxemity to Gilboa. We had a pretty good time watching the bluegill mating habits in White Star (there's a video on the video forum). Portage was awesome! The staff was super helpful, we even encountered someone under the water that took our picture!! If you're in the area, don't miss these two great dive spots!!!

BuzzF117
06-05-2009, 15:27

We went to Gilboa in the summer of 2007 and were not that impressed. I am in no way trying to discourage anyone from going; just simply adding my experience to the mix!
Maybe we just caught people on an off day, but we found the staff to be very rude and indifferent. We waited for about ten minutes while one of the shop workers chatted on her cell phone!
I know this next statement will seem a little odd, but there were way to many "friendly" trout for me! I felt like I was being attacked because they swarm you! I realize that might be a highlight for others, but I don't like that many fish in my face!
Again, try it if you want, but we had a MUCH better experience at White Star and Portage Quarry, both of which are within close proxemity to Gilboa. We had a pretty good time watching the bluegill mating habits in White Star (there's a video on the video forum). Portage was awesome! The staff was super helpful, we even encountered someone under the water that took our picture!! If you're in the area, don't miss these two great dive spots!!!

I get frustrated with alot of things above the water at Gilboa especially when they charge everybody in the vehicle for "parking" by the stairs down to the quarry. They also charge for nondivers, now im aware of the liability of the extra people but cmon it's almost like the govt with all the fees. I like whitestar because if your not diving your not paying unless you goto the beach side and swim.