PDA

View Full Version : Surface Activities - Cozumel

andyrent
05-13-2009, 11:54
Okay, my wife and I are scheduling a trip to Cozumel in August. Based upon reviews and suggestions we will likely stay at Hotel Cozumel. I haven’t confirmed the dive shop that we will use, but expect to use Dive with Allison, Papa Hogs, Dive with Martin, or the onsite shop Dive Paradise. We are both divers and we will be staying 6-7 days with 3-4 days of 2 tank diving.

I am looking for information on Surface Activities on Cozumel. Any suggestions on the following would be greatly appreciated:

Good places to Shop
Good Bars (Relaxed atmosphere)
Good place for a massage
Any other activities on the island that we shouldn’t miss.Also, what dive spots should we make sure that we dive? Are the Cenotes possible from Cozumel or do we need take the Ferry over?

I appreciate any insight and suggestions that you have. I have really enjoyed reading the suggestions that have been made to others in this section of the forum.

~andyrent

CWSWine
05-13-2009, 12:03
If you want to shop jump on the ferry and go to Playa and check out 5th Ave.

divingmedic
05-13-2009, 12:17
Rent a jeep and go to the windward side and go to Coconuts. It is only open in the day, great food, cheap drinks. Great View!

DevilDiver
05-13-2009, 12:26
Good places to Shop -Just outside of the main square. Prices are higher on the main drag and closer to where the ships dock.

Good Bars (Relaxed atmosphere) -Anywhere on the other side. Mezcalitos, Coconuts, Rastas.
Good place for a massage- I thought you said your wife was with you......
Any other activities on the island that we shouldn’t miss. ??? Also, what dive spots should we make sure that we dive? Are the Cenotes possible from Cozumel or do we need take the Ferry over?
There are cenotes on the island, shops will setup trips to the mainland as well. There is a Bullshark dive out of Playa also...

georoc01
05-13-2009, 15:07
This will probably be considered blasphemous..but last summer, my gf and I headed down to Margaritaville after the cruise ships left. The place was very quiet, they have a huge deck on the back and we'd sit at the back bar on the swings. The bartender would bring out Tortillas and we would feed all of the blue tangs that spawn in the water there.

If that is too commericial for you, right next door just north of Margaritaville also was great with cheap food too.

For massage..

Massage: Barefoot in Cozumel (http://www.barefootincozumel.com/)

WaScubaDude
05-13-2009, 15:28
I see you are a fairly new diver. If any risk of sea sickness, opt for the bigger boat. If you want the very best dive experience go with one of the smaller ops in a small boat with fewer divers. 6 or fewer divers is a really nice experience, more than that and it starts to feel like a school field trip where you see alot of pretty fins, and get ushered along.

Also, for 6-7 days I would say just dive Coz and leave cenotes for another time, or never. At the very least I would suggest getting in alot more diving, say 100-200 dives before doing cenote diving. It can be really CAVE diving without the proper gear and training.
There are so many great dive sites, for advanced divers I rcmnd Punta Sur, Santa Rosa Wall, Maricabo. For newer divers there are tons of spots with even more life; yucab reef, sanfrancisco reef, palancar reef. Usualy your DM will recommend a good spot. Just let him know what you are both interested in.

I am looking for information on Surface Activities on Cozumel. Any suggestions on the following would be greatly appreciated:

We have eaten at so many great places, as others have suggested, keep walking away from the tourist area and dont be afraid to go into a very local looking place. We had some of our best tacos down a driveway and in someones garage??? Just had a small old sign on the fence.

I think it is Sunday nights in the town square that the locals have music and dancing. Very laid back fun feel we had as much fun sitting and people watching as we had dancing.

Have a great time. We are going end of June and I can't wait.

chace_nicole
05-13-2009, 15:39
I can highly recommend Alison for your diving and definitely go see Sally for a massage.

Cenotes require a ferry trip to the mainland. The cenotes on the island, are more like caves that require cave training. This is just what I have heard...anyone know anything different?

Renting a car/jeep and seeing all of the beautiful beaches & little beach bars is a great way to spend the day IMO.

Bob-B
05-13-2009, 18:55
Do a search for restaurants on Cozumel There have been several with good suggestions. My wife and I had a great lunch at the little place at the Blue Angel Hotel. It is up on the roof of the dive shop. Food was good, inexpensive and a fabulous view.

Shopping at the central square and along the ocean front street. Everything you would ever want.

I have dove the Dos Ojo's cenote (two Eyes) near Tolum. It is a very nice dive and is not considered a "cave" dive. But you will find the diving at Cozumel to be some of the greatest diving. To go to the cenotes you have to take the ferry to Playa del Carmen, get to a dive shop, Ride to Tolum. you will spend several hours each way, not even counting dive time. Too much trouble. Stick with the island, you won't be disappointed.

When you are leaving to go home, you'll be thinking about how soon you can get back to dive again.