PDA

View Full Version : Asia Divers / El Galleon Resort, Puerto Galera

namabiru
05-14-2009, 00:52
Apologies for cross-posting, but thought I'd catch someone who mostly goes to the Asia forum...

Has anyone dived with Asia Divers at Puerto Galera? As a bonus, has anyone happened to do their IDC with them? I'm looking at doing my IDC here in November/December (yes, I know, cold cold water but the dates work out well). How is the operation?

gbrdiver
05-14-2009, 03:39
Apologies for cross-posting, but thought I'd catch someone who mostly goes to the Asia forum...

Has anyone dived with Asia Divers at Puerto Galera? As a bonus, has anyone happened to do their IDC with them? I'm looking at doing my IDC here in November/December (yes, I know, cold cold water but the dates work out well). How is the operation?

I've dived Galera during those months a few times...the coldest my dive computer recorded was 24 deg - at 70msw on a trimix dive (it felt cold though). Checking back, the coldest I recorded for a <40m dive was 27 deg. I've seen Dive Asia's setup at Small LaLaguna and did a day's diving with one of their instructors who liked their operation. Personally, I'd rather do my IDC with one of the Sabang operators, but thats is based on location rather than anything else.

navyhmc
05-14-2009, 06:32
I've dived Galera during those months a few times...the coldest my dive computer recorded was 24 deg - at 70msw on a trimix dive (it felt cold though). Checking back, the coldest I recorded for a <40m dive was 27 deg. I've seen Dive Asia's setup at Small LaLaguna and did a day's diving with one of their instructors who liked their operation. Personally, I'd rather do my IDC with one of the Sabang operators, but thats is based on location rather than anything else.

That's 24 deg and 27 deg Centigrade, Right? Still, 45f-47f is good and cold. Especially if you dive wet. :smiley20:

gbrdiver
05-14-2009, 07:36
Actually 24-27 celsius is more like 75-80 fahrenheit...not cold

CODMAN
05-14-2009, 08:00
Asia divers and Asia tech are considered one of the very good dive operations in PG. Plus, they get very busy which will guarantee you will have plenty of work and experience while you do your courses. Which is a very important consideration. They are very reputable. I would not hesitate doing such a course with them.

As for temps., as GBR says the coldest I hit while there in february-march (also considered the cold period) was 23C, which is 73F. If you are doing an IDC, which will mean plenty of time on the bottom not moving much, a 5mm fullsuit is the norm for there!

Hope this helps a bit!:smiley20:

h2odragon1
05-14-2009, 10:10
Asia Divers is one of the larger dive ops. in Puerto Galera. Actually it's at the point between Sabang and Little LaLaguna beach's. If you like a busy dive shop then this is the one, safety in numbers. They run a couple of large dive boats and frequent many of the dive sites in the area. They should be able to help you find inexpensive accommodations.
As far as the water temp, Codman pointed out the F temps. My wife and I were diving in 3mm suits for the week we were there, but if you're doing a longer training period, a 5mm might be in order, since you'll be doing 3-5 dives a day 5-7 days a week.
You're in for a great time! :smiley20: :smiley20:

namabiru
05-14-2009, 11:05
Heh... well, the problem is you get acclimated to warm temperatures-- on the surface AND underwater. Right now it is 45C outside. For us, when it hits 23C or so in the winter, we are looking for sweaters to put on. It was funny... I got a text from a friend in Japan, and she said it was getting hot, at 25C.

So as far as being underwater, this year at 23C I was wearing a 5mil with a 3mil shell underneath, and hood of course. At 24C I started migrating to a 4/3 full. Now, at 28, I'm still in a 3mil shell.

It would be interesting to return to PG for my IDC. I got OW certified at Sabang Inn in 2006, and do remember where El Galleon was, over on the point if I looked left across the bay.

I did check Atlantis, and I also inquired about accommodation, but I think iDAP maybe has a program better suited for me.

However, airfare-wise it would be cheaper to go to Bali, so I'm also looking into IDCs there.

CODMAN
05-14-2009, 12:40
In general, the DMs and Instructors in Sabang all go for 5mm full. Some with hoods to boot! You'll never be too hot with that setup... But with less, you might be cold. A 5mm full, with seperate hood would serve you well over there.

Have fun shopping your IDC!:smiley20:

Heh... well, the problem is you get acclimated to warm temperatures-- on the surface AND underwater. Right now it is 45C outside. For us, when it hits 23C or so in the winter, we are looking for sweaters to put on. It was funny... I got a text from a friend in Japan, and she said it was getting hot, at 25C.

So as far as being underwater, this year at 23C I was wearing a 5mil with a 3mil shell underneath, and hood of course. At 24C I started migrating to a 4/3 full. Now, at 28, I'm still in a 3mil shell.

It would be interesting to return to PG for my IDC. I got OW certified at Sabang Inn in 2006, and do remember where El Galleon was, over on the point if I looked left across the bay.

I did check Atlantis, and I also inquired about accommodation, but I think iDAP maybe has a program better suited for me.

However, airfare-wise it would be cheaper to go to Bali, so I'm also looking into IDCs there.

namabiru
05-15-2009, 10:52
Yep, I remember my instructor wearing a 5mil full suit there, in May. I was in a 3mil shorty. Of course, back then I didn't know any better, and also wasn't living in a desert climate at the time. I've posted the same question on SB, in the Philippines forum, and have gotten good feedback on Asia Divers. One point was made that the IDC is held there exactly, so it's a way of getting home field advantage. Kind of nice. I'm waiting to hear back on a couple of questions, but I'm thinking this is the place to go in lieu of Bali. The job placement service is better, and iDAP is better-known in Asia it appears. Also, I went to Bali last December, and I do have to admit the unfond memory of being sick for an entire week due to the food being too spicy (although the genuine kindness of the people more than made up for it) doesn't entice me to go to Bali and spend 3 weeks in that state. Not saying it would happen again, but, you know... certainly don't want to be ill if I'm trying to do my exams.