PDA

View Full Version : Couch to Five K

kkw_archer
05-14-2009, 17:47
Last year I was worried about my air consumption due to being out of shape, so I decided to start running. I was told about a program on the internet called the couch to 5k program that would have you running 5k in only 9 weeks. I was very dubious to say the least, but to my suprise in 9 weeks I was able to complete the program.

The best part about the program is that it is free and requires only a stopwatch. To find out more about it just type in couch to five K in a search engine and you should have no trouble finding the site (I beleive that the site is called coolrunning though).

UofTOrange
05-15-2009, 14:05
I've thought about this about 50 times. Just got done with physical therapy from some surgery and I think I'm going to start it up next week

coloradopomi
05-15-2009, 15:37
I've wanted to do something like this for a time but have lost significant cartilage in my knees over the years and I can't do the impact. It would be nice if there were options for an eliptical or bike rather than the impact stuff.

kkw_archer
05-15-2009, 15:47
One of the things I would recommend in this program is to keep a journal of your progress. Make sure to write down your thoughts during/after your run. After posting yesterday I looked up my journal and got a pretty good chuckle out of the things that I had put in it.

Foo2
05-15-2009, 15:49
I did this last spring. It's a great program! I need to do it again!

Smoochy
05-27-2009, 09:52
I did this too in preparation for a 5k and 10k I did last year. I was actually already running, but figured the program couldn't hurt. I started at week 4 and went to 8 or 9. Worked great!

cruzan
05-27-2009, 19:43
5k to couch thats easy just ask my husband. Oops misread the title.

wwdiver
05-27-2009, 21:20
any improvement in air consumption?

kkw_archer
05-27-2009, 22:27
Too many variables to definitely say. I did not dive again last year after I started the program, and I have all new gear this year (especially fins). Because of the improvements above the surface, I would still recommend it even if it did not help below the surface.

below sea level
06-01-2009, 09:31
I started this today. I did better than expected, but it was a lot harder towards the end. Looking forward to seeing some results.

below sea level
06-03-2009, 09:45
I did my second run this morning. It was a lot tougher than the first day, but I finished! :smiley20:

Feeling it in my muscles now though...

Chilkie
06-03-2009, 10:19
I love to hear success stories about people getting back into shape. I run quite a bit. I played soccer in college...hurt my achilles tendon my senior season and kept on eating as if I was 20. Then I ballooned up. A non stop diest of cheeseburgers and pizza will do that to you. After getting up to about 225 Lbs. on a 5 10" frame I looked an awful lot like a bowling ball so I figured I had to do something. I decided to run a couple miles every day.
I still remember how shocked I was at just how difficult it was to run even one mile I was so out of shape. Heck, I used to run all over the place during soccer matches getting pulled down by Tarheels all match long (those UNC guys stink!!) so how difficult could it be to knock a mile or two out, right???? Boy, was I in for a surprise.
Anyway, six months later I was running 6 miles a day 5 days a week. I eventually knocked off 45 of those lbs (but now I have 10 more back on.....hey...I'm 40...and still eat like I'm 20 :smiley2:). I've done run walks, 5k's, 10K's, and a few half marathons in different cities.
The hardest part is getting started. Sure, you will fall off the wagon from time to time as priorities and demands in your life change....I only run about 10-15 miles a week now, but I work 55-60 hrs/wk and have twins on the way so I have no choice but to bust hump at the office......the point is that once you are willing it makes you feel so much better both mentally and physically that it is amazing.
Best of luck to you.

Oh, and by the way....even going on daily walks will be of huge benefit to your fitness level. You don't have to do major impact type of stuff.

DUnder
06-03-2009, 14:14
I have also started this program. I am on week 3. For a 50year old, 50lbs over weight this will be a tough 9-10 week program. I do plan to stick it out and get into better shape.

UofTOrange
06-05-2009, 07:45
I think I'm going to start this up Monday, should be fun!

CFDAlden
06-08-2009, 02:01
Starting today. I was running 2+ miles a couple years ago, after losing 80lbs.

I stopped, and guess what came back? Well, not all of it, but still.... :(

thanrahan1
06-10-2009, 10:12
Congratulations to all who have started this (or completed) and made it part of your everyday lives.

I run regularly and it sure does help with the scuba diving activities too.:smiley20:

below sea level
06-10-2009, 11:31
Unfortunately I got sick and wasn't able to function, so had to miss a few days. I'll be starting again next week.

Mik52
06-30-2009, 15:04
This is a great idea. I have been looking for some thing like this. I miss getting out and running

bsktcase93
07-08-2009, 14:10
sounds like everyone here has had good results....I think im gonna give it a shot

below sea level
07-12-2009, 06:35
sounds like everyone here has had good results....I think im gonna give it a shot

Go for it! I actually started to enjoy it after a couple of weeks. It didn't make it any easier, but it was infinitely more bearable.

DUnder
08-03-2009, 10:21
Great news Sunday morning I finished the program. ran the 5K in 31:57. When I started the program no way did I think I could ever run that far. I have to admit I took 12 weeks to complete it. I do feel better and I am going to continue to run and get into better shape. Great program to get you started getting into better shape.

SammyJ
08-05-2009, 12:19
This sounds pretty interesting, and congrats DUnder, that's a fantastic accomplishment. I started running a few weeks ago, about 2 times a week, generally around 1.15-1.20 miles. Started doing a 14:00/m, now down to 11:00/m, but at the end I'm totally miserable and in pain, gasping like an idiot. Anyone else had good results with this? If so, I'll start it up, seems like it's a good regimen.

thanks!

below sea level
08-05-2009, 15:44
Great news Sunday morning I finished the program. ran the 5K in 31:57.

Congratulations! Keep it up! :smiley20:

below sea level
08-05-2009, 15:50
Anyone else had good results with this? If so, I'll start it up, seems like it's a good regimen.

I think I did week 1 about 3 times before moving to week 2. Since then, it was all quite good until week 4 - I couldn't finish the first day at first, but it's all good now.

Have I noticed good results since starting? Absolutely. Although I'm still on week 4, I've noticed a huge improvement in both my fitness and comfort levels.

It's a good way to ease yourself into running without hurting your body in the process.

DUnder
08-06-2009, 11:18
[quote=SammyJ;320588]This sounds pretty interesting, and congrats DUnder, that's a fantastic accomplishment. I started running a few weeks ago, about 2 times a week, generally around 1.15-1.20 miles. Started doing a 14:00/m, now down to 11:00/m, but at the end I'm totally miserable and in pain, gasping like an idiot. Anyone else had good results with this? If so, I'll start it up, seems like it's a good regimen.

thanks!

The 5K program really worked for me. Do a search and print the program out and follow it. It starts off slow and works you up to higher levels each week. You can move to each level at your own pace, if a week is too much back down a week till you are ready to move up. Just keep with it and you will see improvement. :smiley20:

mzbdiver
08-07-2009, 00:35
The best program out there to get a good 5k time is to run with a buddy. Other than that, runner's world magazine's website has a trainer outline that'll really help. I suggest that about two weeks into training trying this:

Day one: Intervals (A killer is sprinting straightaways on a track and jogging the corners for a mile; aka fartlek) <- do about 2.5 to 3 miles and you'll feel it

Day Two: LSD (Long-Slow-Distance) about 4 miles at a comfortable pace

Day Three: About 2.5 miles, but at a faster pace than the LSD run, maybe a hill involved

...and repeat.

I used this type of routine during Cross Country (High School) and I ran sub 20 minute 5ks pretty consistently. I know few people out there need to go that fast, but something like that with definitely get you into prime shape fast.

SammyJ
08-07-2009, 14:39
Day one: Intervals (A killer is sprinting straightaways on a track and jogging the corners for a mile; aka fartlek) <- do about 2.5 to 3 miles and you'll feel it

Yeah, this is also called HIIT, or perhaps a variant of. Supposed to be killer for fat burn. Basically, to start, you jog at a very comfortable pace for about 90 seconds, then sprint as fast as you can for 60, jog for 90, sprint for 60, rinse, repeat. I haven't tried this yet, planning on working it into my routine possibly on my off days because I think it'll be too intense for my core workout days. I'll have to wait till after my OW class because it takes place on my off days now. 15 minutes of HIIT is supposed to have much better prolonged effects (metabolism remains high for a longer period of time after workout) than just a long endurance run. Supposedly, it'll totally drain you though.

Rockhound76
08-10-2009, 13:30
I've wanted to do something like this for a time but have lost significant cartilage in my knees over the years and I can't do the impact. It would be nice if there were options for an eliptical or bike rather than the impact stuff.

Cycling or spinning programs are great. You can join a gym for regular spin classes or you can buy videos that coach you the same way ("Spinervals" get good press).

For outdoor cycling, there are two great ways of doing this;

1) Join Team in Training ( Team In Training - Train for a Marathon, Half Marathon,Triathlon or Bike Ride and Make A Difference (http://www.teamintraining.org) ). I'm biased because I sereve on the Board of the Gulf Coast Chapter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society and TNT benefits our Mission and because my son is a leukemia/cord blood transplant survivor. Still, it is a great program. I ride with another group, The Houston Police Bicycle Relay Team, but I've trained with and ridden with TNT. We (the LLS) provide professional coaches to train prospective endurance athletes to ride their first (or twentieth) Century (100mi.) bicycle ride, or triathlon or full or half marathon. Events are held all over and most participants elect to go somewhere really interesting for their event. As a member of the HPD Relay Team, I cycled from Houston to Lake Tahoe several years ago, then participated in a national TNT event. There, I met up with our local TNT group that had flown up for America's Most Beautiful Bicycle Ride ( BikeTheWest.com - Nevada's Best Bike Rides (http://www.bikethewest.com) ), a 100-mile circuit around the Lake that includes going up to Truckee and back. With some seriously spectacular views to reward you for the climbs, it was one of the most memorable rides I've done.

A friend just called me to tell me she had qualified to ride a Century Ride with TNT in Hawaii in October. I feel proud that I introduced her to cycling.

2) Someone suggested keeping a log and I second that advice. bikejournal.com (http://bikejournal.com) is a free website that offers a place to log your rides and run comparatives against other cylists. If you upgrade to Premier ($20) you get additional statistical tools, but I used it free for years. It is what I started with (at nearly 300lbs, unable to circle the block without resting).

I've lost about 60lbs, my resting HR went from 80 to 55 (I always had good bottom times, but now I come up with gobs of air) and I feel great.

Flatliner
08-10-2009, 13:48
I'm in. Starting Monday. (Going diving this weekend so I can't start until then.)

navyhmc
08-10-2009, 14:17
I started today. I ashamed to admit it, but even the 60 seconds jogging and 90 seconds walking were a bit of a stretch. Then again, I haven't worked out with any regularity in about a year.

bam25
08-10-2009, 21:08
this is awsome. thanks guys for sharing this