PDA

View Full Version : Dive vessel ownership - ideas appreciated

watchkeeper
05-15-2009, 05:11
I have a 1992 built 25mt 60tonne sail ketch. She a big volume yacht with plenty of deck space built as in a classic style capable of long range cruising.
In 2005 I did a complete $500k refit/rebuild replacing every item on the yacht with new equipment except the hull that was also upgraded.

The yacht has sat in a yard for last 2.5yrs because I'm not using it due to managing clients new superyacht build projects.

Rather than sell or let her deteriorate I would like to get a group of divers interested in taking a share ownership in the vessel with me.
The purpose to use her full time for either personal recreational dive vessel and/or to charter to other recreational divers or to use as platform to hunt wrecks as fall or part time income occupation.

I'm currently based in Dubai building some superyachts but I can relocate anywhere.

Your thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. Photos and details availible

Largo
05-15-2009, 12:58
Hi! I have a couple of quick questions.

1. How many divers can the boat berth?

2. Does the boat have some means of entering the water surreptitiously, such as an underwater hatch?

3. Does the boat have an ice-maker and is smoking permitted onboard?

Thanks!

fire diver
05-15-2009, 13:05
Largo, are you still looking for a new ship?

I still think it was very rude what that British chap did to your beloved Disco Volante.

Largo
05-15-2009, 16:49
Well, the Disco was insured. I'd just paid it off, and I was thinking about dropping full coverage. Thank Neptune that I didn't. But I have to say, 'Kudos' to State Farm, they are a hell of a company.

watchkeeper
05-16-2009, 04:14
Hi! I have a couple of quick questions.

1. How many divers can the boat berth?

2. Does the boat have some means of entering the water surreptitiously, such as an underwater hatch?

3. Does the boat have an ice-maker and is smoking permitted onboard?

Thanks!

Hi Largo

Re above
Yacht has berths for 8 plus 2 temps could bunk in salon
Day trip 25PAX plus full rig
Sneeky moon pool - no but I have given it some thought. A very good friend shares a common interest in metallurgy, his preservation/restoration of wreck metal artifacts. He worked for a Gov Institute that fixed positions of every wreck position in theirs and adjoining unfriendly's foreign waters.
Ice sweet water for Bourbon - yes
Ice salt for bait box - no
Smoking below - no 24/7
Smoking on deck - majority consent

Its a classic timber yacht - I prefer precautions against very long swims

scubastud
05-16-2009, 04:57
4617I say we all throw in and purchase David Crosby's schooner and use that...
Imagine all the scuba diving hippies that would love a live-aboard on a ship owned by such a legend!

navyhmc
05-16-2009, 06:44
Well, the Disco was insured. I'd just paid it off, and I was thinking about dropping full coverage. Thank Neptune that I didn't. But I have to say, 'Kudos' to State Farm, they are a hell of a company.

:smilie39::smilie39: Good to see you back Largo!!!!

Largo
05-16-2009, 19:50
Watch Keeper,
Thanks for being a good sport about the previous post. That type of boat is probably outside of my price range. Man, it would be nice to cruise the Red Sea, diving at will...

I would love to see a photo, if you would like to post one.

NavyHMC, Thanks!

watchkeeper
05-17-2009, 10:23
Hi Largo

Pics attached (I think) Reason behind this idea, Jan this year I broke my back on board a 36mt yacht I'm building in Dubai so my days of solo sailing are history. I'm not a diver, my best effort is snorkel or freeing rope fouled props but the whole thing about wreck diving, recovering antiquities always interested me. The yacht is dry docked in east Med in easy reach of Red Sea, Indian Ocean.
Its an idea that has opportunities for a bunch of like minded divers

Largo
05-17-2009, 13:21
I don't know a lot about boats. It looks kind of like a Formosa 51. Is it similar?

watchkeeper
05-17-2009, 23:11
She's a custom build designed by a Kiwi designer working for an Italian yacht designer for an Italian/Turk linen manunufacturer.

The yatch was built with Russian Oak in a Black Sea shipyard famous for their Black Sea trawlers.

Yacht is 22mt (72ft) on deck, 25mt (85ft) LOA, 6mt beam, 2.4mt draft, 60tonne heavy ship (laden). Max. engine speed 12k, cruising 10kt, under sail in 23k wind made 13k

Largo
05-18-2009, 17:51
I'd pay money to dive on a vessel like that. I don't know what the going rate for the Red Sea area is, but liveaboards like the Nekton get about $1800 per week, per person.