PDA

View Full Version : uwatec smart tec

sravin1
05-15-2009, 11:36
I would like to purchase an Uwatec smart tec computer. LP has a great deal going on, but I want to know if I bought from them, will I be able to send it back to uwatec to have battery replaced if necessary?

Too bad ST does not carry uwatec. Also, does anybody have any experience with LP and uwatec?

Thanks

CompuDude
05-15-2009, 13:15
I would like to purchase an Uwatec smart tec computer. LP has a great deal going on, but I want to know if I bought from them, will I be able to send it back to uwatec to have battery replaced if necessary?

Too bad ST does not carry uwatec. Also, does anybody have any experience with LP and uwatec?

Thanks

LP is not an authorized dealer, so you will get no warranty coverage from ScubaPro on any of their products purchased from LP.

It's good price, and a REALLY nice computer (I used mine for years until it took off to check out the 600' bottom of the oil rigs without me), even though it's been discontinued for over a year (that's one reason for the good price). The downside is it has to go to the factory for battery changes and service. Because the inside is packed with silicon gel, it has to be specially pressure tested and repacked... NOT user-servicable.

When you buy it authorized and under warranty, battery changes are free under their "free for life" program. From what I understand, out of warranty ScubaPro charges something like $250 to do this. That's the main downside to purchasing this computer in particular anywhere other than an authorized SP dealer.

LP "replaces" the factory service program on regs, and you can send your regs into them for service, if you want. (I trust my local guy more.) So there's an argument to made for buying regs from them, even when they're not authorized. They can't do this sort of factory service on a computer, though.

sravin1
05-16-2009, 01:44
thanks a lot. I guess it is not such a great deal after all

sravin1
05-16-2009, 01:45
btw, how long does an average battery last in this comp?

CompuDude
05-16-2009, 22:13
btw, how long does an average battery last in this comp?

I had 300 dives in about 3 years on mine and it was at approx 45% if memory serves. I never changed the battery on it before I lost it.

So a good long time. But still...