PDA

View Full Version : Haircut....

Osprey
08-24-2007, 12:03
Ok ladies (and gents, I am sure.. lol) I have a question.

Living in the midwest, I haven't had to worry about my hair a lot. Generally I like to keep it long and allow all those banana curls to sweep my hair back from my face. Life is simple, and good.

UNTIL.. *DUN DUN DUNNNN*

I'm moving to Tampa in a few weeks, and recently I'm finding my very thick, dark, heavy hair too hot, and it ALWAYS gets in the way when I swim. It's too heavy to keep pulled up (not that I am complaining.. it's nice hair!).. I am at my wit's end

My question is, if I edited and posted my photo here, would anyone be able to tell me if I'd look decent with any SHORT hair cuts? I don't like it just sitting around at my shoulders, because when it's hot it rubs and it actually itches. No good. Or does anyone know a good website that I could look at hair styles that match certain face types?

Please tell me I have help! LOL

Jaymeany
08-24-2007, 12:10
I use the "new post" function and read this without looking at the forum title...or did I...anyways checkout some of these. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=38w&q=haircut+simulator&btnG=Search
Many cost money but some have free trials. Just a thought. OK I am off to the Man Laws Forum to regain my testosterone levels!

Vercingetorix
08-24-2007, 12:59
OK I am off to the Man Laws Forum to regain my testosterone levels!Too late.

DisneyMom, Foo2, and DallasDiverGirl lie in wait for to snatch the man-card of anybody who dares to offer tips which rightfully belong to women alone.:smilie39:

They've hidden mine and refuse to return it. Little do they know,...I have a duplicate. Heh...heh...heh...:smiley2:

dallasdivergirl
08-24-2007, 13:19
OK I am off to the Man Laws Forum to regain my testosterone levels!Too late.

DisneyMom, Foo2, and DallasDiverGirl lie in wait for to snatch the man-card of anybody who dares to offer tips which rightfully belong to women alone.:smilie39:

They've hidden mine and refuse to return it. Little do they know,...I have a duplicate. Heh...heh...heh...:smiley2:

Nice try. I got your back-up out of the safety deposit box....mmmhhhaaahhw!

I found Illini_Fan's in there too.

dawnskies
08-24-2007, 13:37
Ok well this one is free. The website is HERE (http://www.clairol.com/try-it-on-studio/process_tios.jsp). You will need to set up a sign on to log in with, you will be able to save and print looks if desired to take to stylists(that is how I got my last haircut). Just upload a pic(if you can edit the pic first do a white background around your head and down your neck leaving your current hair out of the equation, save it and upload that one)(i swear it does have a mens collection), choose a color of hair, let it load up then in the scroll box on the left click and go to mens. Let us see what you come up with.

MSilvia
08-24-2007, 13:41
This may be the least manly thing I've ever posted, but here's a link to a site that will let you do virtual makeovers. You can try out a bunch of new haircuts and see what looks best on you.

http://beauty.ivillage.com/0,,9jlxfdd5,00.html

I'm bald, so I haven't checked it out myself, but it comes highly recommended by members of a word-of-mouth marketing company called Bzzagent whose campaigns I sometimes participate in.

Queen
08-24-2007, 13:45
It's a BIG change going from really long to really short, I've done it twice and LOVE short hair but have friends who hated it and started growing there's back immediately.

One thing to consider is what is the norm for women your age in Tampa. I noticed when I was in Texas last summer that short hair was extremely rare on women, so if looking out of place would bug you check it out before chopping it all off.

ixrayu
08-24-2007, 15:14
Be careful about chopping off to a short cut from long hair. You might want to work into it gradually. When I cut mine off short, my son and his best bud, told me I looked like a dude (pure Southern males. They think all women should have long hair). So mine is back long again. But good luck!

Disneymom
08-24-2007, 15:43
Good luck with your decision. Major hair changes/decisions stink! Keep in mind all that lovely Florida humidity!

dallasdivergirl
08-24-2007, 15:51
Is your hair curly or straight?

Would it curl up if you cut it?

Could you do more of a layered haircut to get it lighter?

I have thick coarse hair. I get mine razored to get a lot of the bulk of my hair weight off of my neck & face.

What do you do now styling wise? I ask for a wash and go cut.

Another thing you can do is keep an eye out for cuts that you see are flattering on other people & ask them where they go.

Vercingetorix
08-24-2007, 16:01
Another thing you can do is keep an eye out for cuts that you see are flattering on other people & ask them where they go.And, I understand that most salons have magazines and catalogs from which you can look for flattering styles. Not that I would know about such girly, un-manly activities...

Osprey
08-24-2007, 16:06
I'll check those sites out..thanks! When I was much younger I had short hair. When I was in highschool, I made myself appear asexual, so nobody could judge me based on my sex.. so it wouldn't bother me if I looked like a man (God, I really must be an art student..)

As for your questions Dallas:

Is your hair curly or straight? its usually straight, I get very loose spirals if its short enough, but my hair is so heavy, they quickly go away

Would it curl up if you cut it? not by much, just frizz :)

Could you do more of a layered haircut to get it lighter? maybe, my hair is very full though.. I think it might afro. lol

What do you do now styling wise? I just brush it out and let it go. I love having flowing hair, but it just isn't practical for what I wanna do. Weeeeep! hehe :)

Osprey
08-24-2007, 16:06
Another thing you can do is keep an eye out for cuts that you see are flattering on other people & ask them where they go.And, I understand that most salons have magazines and catalogs from which you can look for flattering styles. Not that I would know about such girly, un-manly activities...

Do you look through the mustache magazines to see which is the buffest?

Vercingetorix
08-24-2007, 16:18
Do you look through the mustache magazines to see which is the buffest?I wish I could grow a 'stache. When I try, I look like Adolph Hitler. That fact that I have black hair and speak German doesn't help.:smiley2:

Osprey
08-24-2007, 16:36
Well, I can see where that might get you into a pickle!

I tried out one of those sites.. FINALLY got to see what I'd look like with redder hair..

Hmmmmmmmm :)

Vercingetorix
08-24-2007, 16:44
I tried out one of those sites.. FINALLY got to see what I'd look like with redder hair..

Hmmmmmmmm :)So how did you look? Did you take a snapshot of the screen?

Osprey
08-24-2007, 16:47
Not yet, I have it saved on the website. The photo I used is a little blurry, but I have the specifics saved for I get a nicer photo taken. I killed my camera in a tropical storm (Mmm.. salty!!) so I am digging to find a nice, high res to use.. I hope I can find it!

savannahbell
08-27-2007, 18:23
I would not cut it to short to start with. Just cut a little at a time. I have found in past exp that going way to short to soon is not good. I like mine around my shoulder's. Its short enough and long enough to still pull up and out of my face. I have the GA Summer's which are very close to Fl's so, I could not handle it any longer than that.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-27-2007, 19:23
get a mullet its the haircut of the gods.

Liv7301
08-27-2007, 20:57
I understand what you are feeling! For a long time I was dissatisfied with my hair. I kept getting it cut progressively shorter and shorter but was still not happy with what I had left and didn't know what to do with it.

Then, one night while walking through the mall right before Christmas about 5 years ago, I decided that it was time to truly just get it chopped off. Since then I have only grown it out longer twice because of shows I was doing.

I have no problem getting my hair chopped and look forward to haviing it cut. I am fortunate that I have the "it's just hair and it grows back" attitude.

dmdoss
08-31-2007, 00:35
Post em up Osprey. I'll give my opinion, But I'm a fan of med. to long hair.

Charlotte Smith
08-31-2007, 05:17
Just remember...It WILL grow back...whatever you decide....

divinjen
08-31-2007, 12:09
first thing- i think it is SO funny how guys have to confirm their manliness :smilie39: I have a friend and he was telling me about dancing with his neice and he stopped and you could just see something 'click' and he was like "I...uh... I mean...they were MANLY dances!!!" I couldn't stop laughing!

Ok, about the hair... I had long hair, down past my shoulders...dark dark brown. Due to my trying to bleach it with walmart type products to get it blonde (please never try this at home) I had to cut it into a short bob. :smiley11:

for diving- this SUCKS!!!! pieces do not fit into my pony tail and just swirl around my mask, and i always try and put them into the little ball on the top of my head and it doesn't work! recently while diving the oriskany it had gotten real bad with the little pieces around my face so I took it out and put it back up and caught a jelly in there- gross! AND while in Venice, FL there are these little fish that just follow you around and the little buggers were biting and ripping out the loose hair :smiley5: So my suggestion (especially if you dive alot) is keep it long! Hope this helps

I guess you could always get a hoodie, I just HATE wearing them! :smiley13:

Osprey
08-31-2007, 19:48
Divinjen, it's funny you talk about fish pulling your hair.. my parrots actually sneak up to pull hair out, or otherwise get their legs all tangled in it and then it's big drama!

I'll see if I can whip up a photo tonight.. I spent this week getting dental work and new glasses (the latter will be in next week! Wooo!)

Osprey
08-31-2007, 19:49
Just remember...It WILL grow back...whatever you decide....

And does my hair GROW!! Like a weed! LOL

Osprey
08-31-2007, 21:03

That's the original photo. Forgive my bored look.. I was sunburning.. lol

This is what one site did for me. I had to cheaply photoshop the brown in on the first hair.. because for some reason it saved blonde?! This is meant to be more like my real hair color (which, for some reason, wasn't translating well with a color-match in photoshop)

You are more than welcome to play with that first photo if you're bored. And no, I won't be mad if you do something completely silly with it ;)

The other site I picked had a LOT more styles.. but apparently it was a try free thing.. they want me to pay $15 now?! Yeaaahh right!!!!

Anyway, testing more sites now since the first bombed :( We'll see if I can find similar styles...

scuba Widow
09-01-2007, 12:53
I like long hair but mine just curls really bad when it gets too long...since I did live in Florida all my life long is hot and right frankly a pain.

kevinj1
09-01-2007, 23:23
ALRIGHT--Time for a guys opinion.
thats right ladies--I snuck into the womens issues forums.
Most men enjoywomen with medium to long hair. I know I am a jerk for saying it, but I had to say it.
Although, i can only imagine how hard it is to live with long hair.

greyzen
09-01-2007, 23:25
I hate long hair...
I love me some shorter hair

cshel
09-03-2007, 12:05
I had long hair - down to my waist. Then I had a baby. It went immediately to shoulder length then about a year later to a short bob. Now it stays short. It's quick to dry, very flexible for styling, I can go a spunky as I want or as smooth as I want. When diving, I go underwater to get it slick against my head then I put my mask on so no hairs are trapped. I haven't noticed any fish picking at my hair but since I get it razor cut, I wouldn't notice if they got any. I'll try to find a picture - just had my computer updated and can't find them right now.... but think Lady Di short.

Divegirl
09-04-2007, 23:39
we do get to see the before and after pictures right?
Always feels so good, when i cut my hair short, however
after a couple weeks and the oooooo, and the awwwwwwwww
you look great, I want my longer hair back, so Like now I start all over again.
Good luck with that.

Buc Chick
09-05-2007, 16:53
Osprey, I really like the hairstyle that you chose, very chic! Anyway, I live in the Tampa Bay area, so if you need a hairstylist recommendation when you get here, let me know!

Cheers,
Angie

Charlotte Smith
09-05-2007, 17:02
Short looks GOOD on you.......Go for it!

scuba Widow
09-05-2007, 19:18
Osprey,
I like the short style on you.

Osprey
09-05-2007, 21:59
Thanks all, it means a lot to get a second opinion!

And Buc- That would be super duper awesome!!

foo3
09-07-2007, 11:45
i like the short hair as well and i like the more red color on you.. but im partial to different colors considering i have brown blonde and pink in mine lol..

Osprey
09-08-2007, 15:25
Foo3- Nothing wrong with numerous colors!! I'm partial to blue myself, my job just won't allow it :) I say long live your pink dye!!

Buc Chick
09-08-2007, 16:13
Hi, Osprey! I've tried to reply to your PM numerous times but the system keeps telling me to log on when I try to submit my reply, even though I am already logged on. So, I am posting this on this thread!
Anyway, I think the USF area has greatly improved over the years. There are some great restraurants in the area--especially if you like Indian food. Also you are close to Busch Gardens and Adventure Island--the year's pass is the cost of one day's admission.
My hair guy is Greg at the Regency Salon at the Hyatt Regency Westshore--6200 Courtney Campbell Causeway, Tampa, FL 33607--phone: 813-281-1232. He may be a bit far from the USF area but he is GOOD and his prices are fair ($35/cut).
I don't do a lot of local diving--my husband hates the Gulf. The viz is not very good, but hey, it's diving! Maybe we can get together and dive sometime, if you don't mind diving with a relative newbie. Also if you check out Scubaboard, under the Travel and Dive Clubs section--there is a sub-forum titled The Greater Tampa Bay Area under the Florida Conch Forum. They seem like a friendly bunch--they go out on local dive trips and get-togethers a lot and they welcome anyone to join. Have not had the chance to meet up with them but plan to soon.
Hope you have a safe trip to Tampa!

Cheers,
Angie

Osprey
09-09-2007, 01:15
Also you are close to Busch Gardens and Adventure Island--the year's pass is the cost of one day's admission.

I actually have a job there.. I get in free ;)

foo3
09-09-2007, 21:52
lol thanks for the support on the odd colors.. lol us odd balls gotta stick together! lol

Osprey
09-10-2007, 12:44
Stickin together is how we roll!

Anne Eastwell
10-31-2007, 23:22
This may be the least manly thing I've ever posted, but here's a link to a site that will let you do virtual makeovers. You can try out a bunch of new haircuts and see what looks best on you.

Makeover-O-Matic Virtual Makeover Game at iVillage Beauty & Style (http://beauty.ivillage.com/0,,9jlxfdd5,00.html)

I'm bald, so I haven't checked it out myself, but it comes highly recommended by members of a word-of-mouth marketing company called Bzzagent whose campaigns I sometimes participate in.

There goes your man-card too....!!! :smiley2:

nolan319
11-05-2007, 11:37
I lived in FL for a little over 2 years,( we have moved on since) and have tried the short hair, long hair thing. It didn't really make a difference, it was hot and humid.. (we had just moved from the DC area)..I just threw it back in a ponytail, hair tie, baseball cap... It was easier, and if I ever had the desire to "dress up" then I could look presentable. but for the most part, baseball caps...

Good luck