PDA

View Full Version : Anyone diving Table Rock Lake over the long weekend?

bottomdweller
05-19-2009, 14:28
I had planned to go camping at shell knob over the long Memorial day weekend. The wife had Gullbladder surgery a couple of days ago & I think camping may be out for this weekend.
So I was wondering if anyone is planning to dive somewhere like Dewey Short or nearby this weekend?
I need to get wet!!

navyhmc
05-19-2009, 16:28
I wish! As usual, while all you guys are out diving, I'm keeping the streets of Wichita safe for humanity.

Coastie6
05-19-2009, 17:09
Sorry, only 1/2 the new gear will be here. We will be cruising the lake though. The DW and I just went down to the dock after burning a bunch of brush from he ice storm and I jumped in to cool off; refreshing, but pretty nice at the surface. is still looks decent even with all the rain.

bottomdweller
05-19-2009, 18:26
Well navy it is good to know we have people like you out there to keep the streets of Wichita safe. Sorry you have to do it so often.
I am sure I will l see you again sometime in the near future, be the little O or one of the near by lakes.
Coastie 6 we will have to meet up sometime if we are close enough?
My brother-in-law got a new girlfriend & this could seriously cut into my diving time unless I find some ore dive buddys. Solo course look out!! I may be headed your way.

I will find a way to dive this weekend
Dive Safe
Frank

cummings66
05-23-2009, 10:17
I'd like to dive, but I got to work till noon today and Sunday looks like 80% chance of thunderstorms. Not sure I want a 5 hour drive to find storms preventing me from diving.

I'm frustrated, I might dive a local quarry though.

Coastie6
05-23-2009, 16:12
I'd like to dive, but I got to work till noon today and Sunday looks like 80% chance of thunderstorms. Not sure I want a 5 hour drive to find storms preventing me from diving.

I'm frustrated, I might dive a local quarry though.

It's been pretty nice here today, partly cloudy with some sprinkles in the morning. But a pretty good squall line just come through heavy downpours and lightning. They are predicting more of the same with increasing chances as the weekend progresses.

bottomdweller
05-23-2009, 19:25
Beach Bum & I hit Dewey at about 11:30 today, We got in 2 dives & went to 70 ft. Temp at 70 was 57 degrees. we drove through a little rain on the way down from Nixa but it was a perfect day at Dewey.
We also got a chance to meet akanemrod & 2 of his dive buddys.
If it doesn't rain much we plan on a few more dives this weekend.
By the way nemrod said it was about 48 degrees at 100 ft.

Coastie6
05-24-2009, 07:48
Beach Bum & I hit Dewey at about 11:30 today, We got in 2 dives & went to 70 ft. Temp at 70 was 57 degrees. we drove through a little rain on the way down from Nixa but it was a perfect day at Dewey.
We also got a chance to meet akanemrod & 2 of his dive buddys.
If it doesn't rain much we plan on a few more dives this weekend.
By the way nemrod said it was about 48 degrees at 100 ft.

Enjoy and be safe. We should try to connect sometime. You down all weekend or driving in from Nixa each day?

bottomdweller
05-24-2009, 10:05
I am driving from Nixa each day. I actually live south of Nixa closer to Highlandville. It takes me about 30 minutes to get to Dewey Short from my house.

Coastie6
05-24-2009, 14:10
I am driving from Nixa each day. I actually live south of Nixa closer to Highlandville. It takes me about 30 minutes to get to Dewey Short from my house.

Highlandville puts you about 20-minutes from here. You work in Nixa or Springfield?

bottomdweller
05-24-2009, 15:40
Work in Springfield, We bought a house here in Nixa out in the woods closer to the lake about 3 years ago. Before that I lived in Springfield now it takes me about 30 Mins to get to work or the lake from my house.
Where are you located north towards Springfield, or south towards the lake/Branson west?

Nemrod
05-24-2009, 21:46
Made three dives, Dewey Short, Zebulon Pike, Jake's Point Island Cabin Cruiser, max depth was 115 feet, water temps showed 52 degrees below the second thermocline. Viz below the second thermocline, spotty 15 to 25, as usual, better looking upward. The murky darkness looking downward absorbed my Dive Rite LED 500 as if I was hovering over a black hole, maybe I was.

I was somewhat taken aback by the deteriorating condition of the Zeb. The stacks are fallen over, decks caved, stuff hanging down inside, where once there had been a gravel bottom is now goo. It is not my opinion that there has been vandalism but has there been?

Ran into "bottomdweller," I thought I recognized him so said hello. Usually I bring my own boat but this was just a quick trip, staying with friends, being as I am headed to the Keys in a couple of weeks. I even used a sissy single hose reg, I must be ill.

N

Coastie6
05-24-2009, 22:53
Work in Springfield, We bought a house here in Nixa out in the woods closer to the lake about 3 years ago. Before that I lived in Springfield now it takes me about 30 Mins to get to work or the lake from my house.
Where are you located north towards Springfield, or south towards the lake/Branson west?

We live on the lake between Kimberling City and Branson West, work in Springfield.

snagel
05-26-2009, 06:25
I was somewhat taken aback by the deteriorating condition of the Zeb. The stacks are fallen over, decks caved, stuff hanging down inside, where once there had been a gravel bottom is now goo. It is not my opinion that there has been vandalism but has there been?

N

We dove the Zeb in June 07 and this is pretty much how we found it. Not sure about inside, we didn't penetrate, but found the stacks falling over and things falling down from the deck. It was enough that I was a little concerned about my buddies and watched carefully that something didn't fall and trap them.

Snagel

Nemrod
05-26-2009, 07:14

N

We dove the Zeb in June 07 and this is pretty much how we found it. Not sure about inside, we didn't penetrate, but found the stacks falling over and things falling down from the deck. It was enough that I was a little concerned about my buddies and watched carefully that something didn't fall and trap them.

Snagel

Same here, I had a "newer" diver with me and though we did swim down the stairway and into the deck below and then out the side the silting, overall low viz and darkenss coupled with a lot of "stuff" seemingly falling down I decided not to risk futher penetration. I then proceeded to the area where I am positive I had seen the name of the boat, barge, whatever, and to check it out. I found a large drift of "ooze" against the side and what I thought to be the bow. However, due to my buddy worrying me and three other divers flitting about stirring stuff up I was unable to be sure I was where I thought I was. There is just as a warning, enough jagged wire, metal to cut, or grab or otherwise hurt you on and about this place given that often you are on something there before you see it. Towards the bow the viz opened up enough as I crusied over it about 15 feet (since I was able to momentarily escape the other divers) tha tI could look back over a goodly portion of the wreckage. A nice view for a bit, my Dive Rite LED 500 did well to light up the area until the cloud of silt stirred up from the other divers rolled over me.

Locals should do a clean up and set the stacks back up on that thing. Looking up from the stairway into the green sky above with the stacks framing the view was what got me excited about this dive several years back.

Over at Jake's Point after investigating the "cruiser" we headed over the drop off and downward and cruised along the outcroppings and undercuts at depths between 70 and 115 feet. Viz was decent and from my vantage at depth looking upward I could see my buddy and the three other divers and their guide trailing upward, lights flicking back and forth and about, a nice, somewhat erie view. Perhaps as far above me as 30, 35 feet.

N