PDA

View Full Version : weighting problems

lt.dan58
05-19-2009, 18:44
So I dove (2 Dives) La Jolla shores (San Diego) on Sat and had no problem getting down... On Sunday I dove (2 Dives) Catalina and couldnt get under... just curious why that would be? I was wearing exactly the same thing as Sat but i actually had to add 6 pounds to get under.... Anyone have any idea why this would have happened?

Splitlip
05-19-2009, 18:46
air trapped in the wetsuit or bc?

When you splash it sometimes takes a few minutes for the wetsuit to find it's buoyancy. If you decended sooner on the second dive that can be it.

Try burping your wetsuit by pulling the collar out when you hit the water.

lt.dan58
05-19-2009, 18:51

When you splash it sometimes takes a few minutes for the wetsuit to find it's buoyancy. If you decended sooner on the second dive that can be it.

I always fill my suit up with water when I get in to get it over with so I guess I could have had some air trapped... It didnt feel like i did... the bc i spent about 2 min making sure there was no air in it... I dont know maybe I was breathing weird?

Splitlip
05-19-2009, 18:54

I always fill my suit up with water when I get in to get it over with so I guess I could have had some air trapped... It didnt feel like i did... the bc i spent about 2 min making sure there was no air in it... I dont know maybe I was breathing weird?

Breathing weird should not = 6#.

Were thery shore or deep water entries?

lt.dan58
05-19-2009, 18:55

Breathing weird should not = 6#.

Were thery shore or deep water entries?

both were shore.... La Jolla was about a 300 yard surface swim... catalina was about a 25ft surface swim

Splitlip
05-19-2009, 19:07
So the surface swim day one was 10 times longer than day two?

Wetsuit and bc material had more time to soak up water perhaps?

My weight is so fine tuned I often have to swim down if I wish to decend immediately. Yet I am slightly negative at the end of the dive after losing 6# from my cylinder.

lt.dan58
05-19-2009, 19:32
So the surface swim day one was 10 times longer than day two?

Wetsuit and bc material had more time to soak up water perhaps?

My weight is so fine tuned I often have to swim down if I wish to decend immediately. Yet I am slightly negative at the end of the dive after losing 6# from my cylinder.

didnt think of that... what was weird was on the 1st dive second day I held off on adding the 6 pounds and i never became neutrally bouyant even when my tank was down to 500 psi... the 2nd dive with the extra 6 pounds i was able to get down but never became negatively bouyant even with the extra weight and tank almost empty... any ideas?

CompuDude
05-19-2009, 19:40
Same tanks? Were you renting Al.80s at Catalina and steel in La Jolla? That would account for exactly 6 lbs.

lt.dan58
05-19-2009, 19:43
Same tanks? Were you renting Al.80s at Catalina and steel in La Jolla? That would account for exactly 6 lbs.

I am pretty sure the ones I used in La Jolla were Al.80's also... they came from sport chalet... but i could be wrong

Splitlip
05-19-2009, 20:18
ding ding ding.

look into that Lt.

CompuDude
05-19-2009, 21:46

I am pretty sure the ones I used in La Jolla were Al.80's also... they came from sport chalet... but i could be wrong

SC usually rents aluminum, but some of them have some steels they rent out. If you can't tell the difference, you may want to ask the person who rented the tanks to you.

naplestreasures
11-20-2010, 17:36
I'd be willing to bet it's a combination of your wetsuit and BCD absrobing more water on the long swim and your body containing less O2.