PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with certification--Please help

mollymae006
05-19-2009, 21:12
My husband and I are getting certified, as we are going back to Cozumel in July. I had a really hard time in the pool dive--really hard time--drank a lot of water. Our lake dive is next weekend and I am really not sure that I want to continue. I think I need a lot more practice before heading out to the lake. However, if I don't get certified my concern is that my hubby won't get to dive while we are in Cozumel because he won't have a dive buddy. I feel stupid for asking this, but will the divemaster who takes the boat dive be his buddy or will he be able to find a buddy so that he can dive? I am really scared about the lake dive, as I am just not sure that I can do it, but I don't want him to be deprived of diving because of my fears. Any advice?

Thanks

ScubaToys Larry
05-19-2009, 21:38
He will still be able to dive - they'll pair him up with someone... So don't do something you are not comfortable with for that reason. I'd suggest talking to the shop, and see if you can get a little more pool time before you go out to the lake. We do that all the time with students that are not comfortable.

CompuDude
05-19-2009, 21:49
Dive Ops are used to pairing un-buddied divers up. Shouldn't be an issue, as long as they can find someone of a similar skill level. Stick to the larger ops, who have lots to pick from, or the smallest ops, who will give more personalized attention.

paperdesk
05-19-2009, 22:04
I've gone on dives with a DM as a dive buddy. Just depends on who the dive op is as stated above.

lt.dan58
05-19-2009, 23:26
during my certification we had 3 people drop out of our class... with that I had to pair up with my instructor for 2 of the dives and the DM that was helping with the other 2... Both said if I ever go to a dive resort to check in with the LDS and they will go with you or find someone looking for a buddy to go with you

navyhmc
05-20-2009, 00:01
Wise words from all above. Good luck and keep diving.

gee
05-20-2009, 00:10
With your uncertainty and being "...scared about the lake dive..." you are exactly right to get in more practice and I hope you do that so you can get more comfortable under water. However, don't feel obligated to continue for anyone's sake but yours. Be sure to talk to your instructor about your fears. He will be very understanding.
My husband and I are getting certified, as we are going back to Cozumel in July. I had a really hard time in the pool dive--really hard time--drank a lot of water. Our lake dive is next weekend and I am really not sure that I want to continue. I think I need a lot more practice before heading out to the lake. However, if I don't get certified my concern is that my hubby won't get to dive while we are in Cozumel because he won't have a dive buddy. I feel stupid for asking this, but will the divemaster who takes the boat dive be his buddy or will he be able to find a buddy so that he can dive? I am really scared about the lake dive, as I am just not sure that I can do it, but I don't want him to be deprived of diving because of my fears. Any advice?

Thanks

cruzan
05-20-2009, 04:44
As said above try to do more pool time or if possible see if the shop can give you a little more 1 on 1. I'm a new diver myself and husband has been certified since 1982 he has never had a problem finding a buddy.

Keep trying it does get easier.If your problem is a case of nervousness with time you should be able to work your way through it; but as has been said before don't do that makes you too uncomfortable.

Good luck and hope to see that make it.

snagel
05-20-2009, 05:23
Quit putting so much pressure on yourself. Yes, your hubby will be able to dive. They will make it work. My wife does not dive and when we go on vacations if I want to dive, I just talk to the dive shops and they can work something out. For you, follow your instincts. Diving is a great sport, but you need to tackle it at your own pace. If you are uncomfortable, you will be miserble and probably hurt yourself. More pool time will allow you to gain confidence and make you a better diver later - Relax.

Snagel

navyhmc
05-20-2009, 05:29
One other thing: If you can, try to get a little extra pool time and get your OW done before you go to Coz. You will regret going and not diving when you get there. OW checkout can be intimidating, but it really is not that difficult. the only new variable is the fact that it's a lake and not the pool. Think of it as a big colder pool with things like fish and sticks in it. The skills usually come easy after you get over the shock if you will of being in a less controlled environment.

Honestly, it does get better with time. Take it slow and easy and I'm sure you'll make it. Good luck.

mitsuguy
05-20-2009, 05:36
If I were your instructor, I would spend some more time on mask skills. It sounds like that is where your problem lies, and I have two students right now with the same type of problem. It is the most common problem to have, honestly. Without the mask on, or with water in the mask, people tend to try and breathe in through their nose. Obviously this doesn't work out so well.

One way you can practice yourself is to get your mask and snorkel, fill up the bathtub and just go through all of the motions... Lay with your head in the water, snorkel up, then go through the skills you were having troubles with. Partially flood your mask and clear it. Completely remove your mask, all while breathing through the snorkel... I'm not sure what if any mechanical mechanism works to keep water from entering your nose, but I do know it's something everyone can pick up with practice. And practice in an unpressured, no other students around type environment...

snagel
05-20-2009, 05:52
My sister-in-law had probably the same problems you are having. When she took her mask off underwater she would automatically breathe in and suck in a lot of water. In-between classes, she went to the local pool with her mask and worked on taking it off and clearing it. She was very frustrated and fearing that she couldn't do it. She ultimately conquered this and today she is an excellent diver. I think she is probably one of the better divers I've seen because she truely understands panic underwater and can deal with it. Shortly after our certification, she experienced a free flow reg at 50'. She didn't panic, she pulled her reg out tried to adjust it and immediately went to her octo, followed by a controlled ascent. At that point in our diving career, I would have paniced and shot to the surface. She didn't and explains that because of the problems she had with her mask previously she was use to this type of thing.

My point is, don't give up - you are not alone. You can tackle this and be better.

Snagel (again)

John Yaskowich
05-20-2009, 07:45
If the problem is breathing through your nose, try this: go to the pool with your snorkel and swim goggles (not your dive mask). In the shallow end, either kneel on the bottom or just bend over with your face in the water. Breathe through the snorkel. If you accidently do try to breathe through your nose, just stand up and sputter, then try again. You will very quickly learn to breathe through your mouth and to tolerate some water in your nose.

fire diver
05-20-2009, 08:05
You've already been given the answer about your husband's diving, so now you need to take a deep breath and relax. Diving is a fun and relaxing activity, so if you are worried and nervous you just need some more practice. Scuba diving, while fun, is NOT a normal thing for humans. We wer enot meant to exist under water. So take your time and go slow until you are comfortable with each phase before moving on to the next.

Relax, go slow, have fun!

h2odragon1
05-20-2009, 08:08
I agree with SNAGEL. Don't put pressure on yourself. My wife took three years to get comfortable with her pool dives, and the test's. She had her OW dives endorsed to a dive shop in the Philippines. The coral and colorful fish helped her overcome any apprehension she had on diving, and now she is as hooked on diving as I am. She continues to be very nervous with our first dives of the season, but after the first few minutes, she takes to the water like a fish!
Take you time, get your comfort level set. You'll enjoy diving that much more!! :smiley20: :smiley20: :smiley20:

boates
05-20-2009, 09:39
All the above, stressing more more more pool time! Also get pool time 1 on 1 if possible, and without your husband, this way you can concentrate on you, no other distractions. Here's a thought....could you get your check-out dives done down there as a referral certification? Somehow diving the warm and clear waters of the Caribbean have a calming effect. So much beauty to see. The sometimes dark, cold, and little to look at, lake dives, can be overwhelming. That being said, diving isn't for everyone, and it's up to you to decide what's right for you. Good luck.

troutgirl
05-24-2009, 15:12
DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT push yourself to the point of terror to get your c-card!! A bad experience initially will NOT make you want to dive in the future. If you aren't comfortable yet, SLOW DOWN, take a deep breath (of air, not water!), and tell your husband you feel you need more pool time/maybe a private lesson with the instructor to talk and work through your skills and fears.

We dive all over the world and always run into solo divers. Lots of people have spouses who don't dive or are at different experience levels. My husband is a certified rescue diver. I have less than 100 dives. We started VERY slowly, so by the time I took my first open water dive, I was comfortable enough to not scream, cry, or panic (things I was SURE I was going to do before I started the PADI training!). Initially, I was his "buddy", but let's get real-I was having enough trouble managing myself, let alone thinking about saving him if something happened. I just stuck to him like glue-figuring as long as we both had oxygen, we could handle anything else that came along! Now, I'm much more comfortable with my skills, equipment and ability to handle an emergency situation-in essence, an actual "buddy".

Unless your husband is navigational certified (I think you said he's a newbie, too?), you guys will be in a group following the Dive Master around in the water.

Remember, this is your life we are talking about here. Feeling you have enough training, being comfortable in the water, and being able to say "NO" when you need to, will keep you out of trouble, and definitely make you want to dive over and over again! This should be fun, right??!!

Take care,

Troutgirl

Flatliner
05-24-2009, 16:25
Molly,

This is all great advice. I think the best two pieces of advice are:

1.) Talk to the instructor and get some extra pool time. It will make a world of difference.

2.) If you are able to get the pool time and get comfortable, do it before the trip. You don't have too, but Navy is right, you will regret it a little if you don't.

Good luck and good diving...

Smoochy
05-26-2009, 13:55
I will definitely agree with all that has been said. When I was getting certified, I can distinctly remember wanting to breathe through my nose quite a bit. The first time I took off my mask underwater was uncomfortable, but with more practice, it's nothing. You really just need some 1 on 1 time in the pool to get more comfortable. There was another woman in my class who REALLY could not take her mask off, and since we were ahead of time in our class, the instructor took extra time with her right there, while the DM and the rest of us practiced. That was when I finally got comfortable myself... with more practice.

If you have a pool, have your husband help you... pretty soon you will be more comfortable than him underwater :smiley2:

Most shops will work with you. If you need to take an extra weekend, most will accommodate, but I'm sure you can get everything done before going to Coz in July. Don't stress yourself out about it!

Also, when in July are you going? I'll be there in July as well :smiley20:

scubagirlj
05-27-2009, 10:36
maybe you should try some diving with someone other than your husband as your DB-my husband and i find that having different people as DBs once in a while is a good thing;we get to meet new people and see things a bit differently, and afterwards during SI we compare notes-that way if one of us wants to stay shallower and go slower,say to take pics, there is no pressure to keep up with the other

mm2002
05-27-2009, 18:35
maybe you should try some diving with someone other than your husband as your DB-my husband and i find that having different people as DBs once in a while is a good thing;we get to meet new people and see things a bit differently, and afterwards during SI we compare notes-that way if one of us wants to stay shallower and go slower,say to take pics, there is no pressure to keep up with the other

In no way does that have anything to do with the OP's issue.
Please re-read the original post. Thank you! :smiley20:

Now, to the OP, I can't add much to what others have said here. When the wife and I first got certified, she had the same issues. Now she's as good a DB as I could ever hope for. Also, re-read Snagels post(s). I have been diving with him, and Robin (actually his sister-in-law), and Robin's hubby (also another Steve) many times. Are you confused yet? :smiley36:
Seriously, great advice from people I personally know and have been diving with many times.

Remember, when you're under water, try and just relax and enjoy it. Find your ZEN. It's there, and when you find it, you'll be an addict like a lot of the rest of us! :smiley2:

Hope this helps!

mollymae006
06-02-2009, 11:38
I wanted to thank all of you who replied to my original post. I was so scared. I really appreciate the person who told me to quit putting so much pressure on myself, which was exactly what I was doing. My husband and I went to Beaver Lake, AR this past weekend for our lake dive. I just told myself that if I couldn't do it I would quit. The DiveTulsa instructors were awesome! They new I was scared and even stated that I looked like I was going to the electric chair rather than a dive! I made it through the first dive and decided to go on until I just couldn't do it. While waiting for my second dive one of the instructors, Marcus, spoke to me and gave me some very good advice. On my second dive everything just clicked like a lightbulb was turned on and I must say that I enjoyed the heck out of the rest of the dives. I was so proud of myself for overcoming my fears and for actually enjoying the dives. I can't wait until our trip. I cannot say enough good things about DiveTulsa; they truly are awesome. There were 14 of us getting certified and at least 8 instructors. They never took more than two of us out at a time. They were very patient with me and did everything they could to help me overcome my fears. So, I am very excited needless to say. Thanks again.

gee
06-02-2009, 12:57
thanks for that update. I'm really glad for you!:smiley20: Let us know how your first trip turns out also.

I wanted to thank all of you who replied to my original post. I was so scared. I really appreciate the person who told me to quit putting so much pressure on myself, which was exactly what I was doing. My husband and I went to Beaver Lake, AR this past weekend for our lake dive. I just told myself that if I couldn't do it I would quit. The DiveTulsa instructors were awesome! They new I was scared and even stated that I looked like I was going to the electric chair rather than a dive! I made it through the first dive and decided to go on until I just couldn't do it. While waiting for my second dive one of the instructors, Marcus, spoke to me and gave me some very good advice. On my second dive everything just clicked like a lightbulb was turned on and I must say that I enjoyed the heck out of the rest of the dives. I was so proud of myself for overcoming my fears and for actually enjoying the dives. I can't wait until our trip. I cannot say enough good things about DiveTulsa; they truly are awesome. There were 14 of us getting certified and at least 8 instructors. They never took more than two of us out at a time. They were very patient with me and did everything they could to help me overcome my fears. So, I am very excited needless to say. Thanks again.

kujomilo
06-02-2009, 15:31
I am so proud of my dork girl Mollymae. She overcame her fears and we are now both certified. Cozumel is going to be awesome.

mollymae006
06-02-2009, 17:46
We will be there July 11-18. Will you be there then?

I will definitely agree with all that has been said. When I was getting certified, I can distinctly remember wanting to breathe through my nose quite a bit. The first time I took off my mask underwater was uncomfortable, but with more practice, it's nothing. You really just need some 1 on 1 time in the pool to get more comfortable. There was another woman in my class who REALLY could not take her mask off, and since we were ahead of time in our class, the instructor took extra time with her right there, while the DM and the rest of us practiced. That was when I finally got comfortable myself... with more practice.

If you have a pool, have your husband help you... pretty soon you will be more comfortable than him underwater :smiley2:

Most shops will work with you. If you need to take an extra weekend, most will accommodate, but I'm sure you can get everything done before going to Coz in July. Don't stress yourself out about it!

Also, when in July are you going? I'll be there in July as well :smiley20:

mm2002
06-02-2009, 19:50
Awesome outcome! Congrats!! If you're ever in the Norgandesia area, look me up. The wife and I can show you some cool dive spots! :smiley20:

navyhmc
06-03-2009, 00:42
Outstanding mollymae!!! Glad to know you went ahead and got it done. I am sure you will havea blast down in Coz. While I like Beaver, Cos will blow you away! much warmer, a lot more to see and a lot better vis to see it. Last time I was there, the vis was at least 200'

fire diver
06-03-2009, 08:24
Congrats on being able to relax and enjoy the dive! It only gets better from here.