PDA

View Full Version : PADI vs. NAUI

mrmccoy
05-20-2009, 00:11
I have been looking around and can't find the difference between the two. I know the PADI can be started online but can NAUI be started online?
I'm looking at either starting the PADI online then just finishing it in FL. for my vacation or taking a class locally then finishing the dives in FL.
Any ideas or thought would be great!
Thanks
Jonathan

navyhmc
05-20-2009, 00:59
I tried to go to the NAUI web site but it locks me out. Personally, they are both about the same as far as skills and training. I'm sorry to say I don't know about and NAUI on online courses.

cruzan
05-20-2009, 05:48
In all honesty for beginning divers they are very close to the same. I just got certified through PADI this year and nephew is in the process of getting his NAUI cert through college. In comparing the courses there is very little difference. My husband has several certs from different agencies, the only one that is a major difference is HSA which certifies divers with handicaps and you have totest up to each successive level before certification.

mrmccoy
05-20-2009, 20:29
thats kind of what I was thinking.....they are about the same.
Thanks

Armymutt25A
06-17-2009, 17:16
I know this is an older thread, but figured I add something I've noticed. PADI seems to be very focused on providing a lot of information and is regimented. NAUI publishes less information in its books and gives the instructors a lot more freedom in how they conduct their training. I did PADI Open Water and NAUI Advanced Diver. I also have the PADI AOW book, called Adventures in Diving. I found the PADI book to be much more informative and it is about 5 times as thick as the NAUI one. The PADI basic book is also thicker than the NAUI version.

CompuDude
06-17-2009, 18:28
The quality of the instructor matters a lot more than the agency.

NAUI allows a little more freeform deviation from the "rules" than PADI does... with a good instructor, this is a very thing, with a mediocre instructor, this doesn't help you. PADI has much better materials (IMO) and is more recognized worldwide. So there are tradeoffs to both.

I went PADI (many moons ago) and don't regret it, although if I was starting from scratch today I'd go with NAUI only because I know a few phenominal NAUI instructors who won't teach under PADI.

mrmccoy
06-17-2009, 19:43
After i finish the NAUI OW can I take the PADI AOW ?

navychop
06-17-2009, 20:12
Exactly what I did. PADI open water followed by NAUI Adv open water. Kind of wonder about even the phone number, 1-800-PAY-PADI

CompuDude
06-17-2009, 20:21
After i finish the NAUI OW can I take the PADI AOW ?

Yes. Both companies recognize each other's training, at least, at the recreational level. It gets more complicated at the professional level.

bsktcase93
06-29-2009, 23:39
one of my specialties that i took was with a naui instructor, he was very strict and would not just pass everyone cause they paid. but other than that class all m[y training is through padi

loadcp
08-20-2009, 12:01
I am certified through both NAUI and PADI as OW. I can really tell no differences except that the NAUI academics was a little eaiser and the NAUI dives were more comprehensive. The PADI dive was good, but the NAUI dive had us do more for certain skills ie Underwater Compass Navigation.