PDA

View Full Version : To boot or not to boot?

Jaymeany
08-24-2007, 12:46
To boot or not to boot? Should I get a boot put on an Al80 when I get it? (This is another one of those 250 posts items I'm thinking about getting)

finflippers
08-24-2007, 12:49
I do not use them myself.

subsur
08-24-2007, 12:49
depends on your diving area. around here, you have to have a boot to get on a boat. also, there are lots of rocks on the shore so the boot helps to protect the tank. i take it off for storage.

WV Diver
08-24-2007, 13:01
I have always used them. They are very handy and removable when not needed, although I never remove mine. I have only been on one boat that had the fiberglass, half pipe style tank holders that the boot would not fit in but I was using their tanks that day so, no problem. Since a tank is never left standing it keeps it from rolling. The hard plastic ones are better than the soft rubber ones, or at least I think so.

Flatliner
08-24-2007, 13:07
My vote is yes.

MEL-DC Diver
08-24-2007, 13:09
Yes on singles, no on doubles.

TAH 73
08-24-2007, 13:09
Boots on my tank, and like is says above keeps them from rolling.

Charles R
08-24-2007, 13:18
Dont Boot

MSilvia
08-24-2007, 13:33
Boots protect boat decks and prevent round-bottomed tanks from falling over when you stand them up. If you have flat bottomed tanks or don't stand your tanks up, and you don't plan to dive from boats (or you don't mind dinging up boats you dive from), you don't need them. They do tend to trap water and debris, and can accelerate corrosion of the tank. If you use them, remove the boots periodically and give them a rinse.

No Misses
08-24-2007, 13:47
Nobody dives from my boat without tank boots. I get enough scratches and dings as it is.

fire diver
08-24-2007, 13:50
I hate boots on AL tanks. Steels, maybe....

boots were invented so tanks would stand up for storage. Modern AL tanks already have a flat bottom, so it's not needed. If you have un-doubled steels, maybe for storage.

I don't get the "boat damage" think. Only one booted tank has even been in my boat, and tore the hell out of it with it's pointy little "no-roll" octogon. I just don't get how a hard plastic boot will be any safer for a boat than a bare metal one.

FD

No Misses
08-24-2007, 14:09
I am not Mr. Rockwell. But, I am sure that his scale would list plastic as being softer than Gel coat, and Gel coat as being softer that Aluminium. just my .02

P.S. since it is my boat, only my .02 matters ;-)

cummings66
08-24-2007, 14:22
Doesn't have to do with being softer. Impact, think what happens when it slams into something, it's going to dent it.

My steel tanks have boots. My stage doesn't.

DUnder
08-24-2007, 15:02
I say yes boot them, I don't like tanks rolling around

wxboy911
08-24-2007, 15:59
If it Steel the yes....Aluminum only if you want to....not me though. Does not seem necessary for the aluminums.

WaterRat
08-24-2007, 17:06
I don't boot my aluminums and only have them on the steels because of the round bottom. When I double the steels then I will take the boots off. I don't have to worry about scratching a boat yet.

Ron

DirtyWaterIL
08-24-2007, 17:22
I got rid of all my tank boots because they get stuck in the tank racks.

cummings66
08-24-2007, 17:56
How's that again?

Black-Gorrilla
08-24-2007, 18:15
i dont have boots, so when i dive boats, i end up using their tanks...

Capt Hook
08-24-2007, 18:43
Yes, I insist on boots on my boat.

CompuDude
08-24-2007, 19:57
Yes on steel singles (nearly impossible to use otherwise). No on doubles, no on aluminum (singles or doubles).

cummings66
08-24-2007, 21:36
Just curious on doubles, why not boot them? Do they stand easier or what? I know a buddy of mine rigged a PVC cap on a table and sets the tanks in them to don.

CompuDude
08-24-2007, 23:27
Just curious on doubles, why not boot them? Do they stand easier or what? I know a buddy of mine rigged a PVC cap on a table and sets the tanks in them to don.
It's just twice as bad. LOL

Plus, you're a lot less likely to leave dubs standing upright, un-tended. Best to lay them down, else they're on my back, or strapped onto a cart, or to the boat's tank rail.

Just the norm around here, I guess... no one will look at you twice if you have boots on a single, but no one has boots on their dubs.

There's also the little fact that, depending on the boots, it's next to impossible to get the dubs manifolded with boots on. Tanks are too close together, and the roll-stop shape hits the next tank.

cummings66
08-25-2007, 07:10
All I know for sure is nobody boots them. How do they get fills? Do they lay them down and fill or what's the procedure there?

in_cavediver
08-25-2007, 07:54
All I know for sure is nobody boots them. How do they get fills? Do they lay them down and fill or what's the procedure there?

I have several sets (3) with no boots. For fills, we either lay they flat or lean them against a wall. Actually, at one fill station, we simply back the truck up to the fill station and fill them on the tailgate. (great service)

The reason for no boot - streamlining and entanglement. Rounded steel bottoms make things slide off nice an easy. I have seen some divers use boots on steel doubles but they were the round not octagons and very slim line profile so they'd fit. The boots that came with the 85's and 104's wouldn't fit my doubles if I wanted them to.

cummings66
08-25-2007, 08:58
I know why people don't like boots, just not familiar with how they get fills. Does the fill work the same then for a single steel tank? Lay it down? Seems like it would work. More of a PITA to rig up though.

in_cavediver
08-25-2007, 12:24
I know why people don't like boots, just not familiar with how they get fills. Does the fill work the same then for a single steel tank? Lay it down? Seems like it would work. More of a PITA to rig up though.

I have 2 small steel 45s as 02 bottles. Those, we just lay down. I have also used single steel 104's in a sidemount harness and again, no boot - just laying down for a fill. Now, I wouldn't dive a single steel tank backmount without a boot. Just to much of a PIA to get in and out the BC/harness without it being free standing.

terrillja
08-25-2007, 22:25
I have my ALs booted because I tend to get my equipment on with it resting on a stone wall, they tend to move otherwise, and they also get knocked around by the rock. First thing I did when my dad and I bought 3 more tanks this summer was order boots, valve covers, and tank mesh. Just keeps them in better condition, and when you are diving in class A freshwater, corrosion isn't a huge concern, I took my boot off to check tonight and my 3 year old tank (I bought it used) looks brand new under the boot. Also, for transporting the tanks, over hilly roads, the boots really do help to keep them from rolling, though I am thinking of building a ladder-style PVC rack.

In fact, if someone knows where I can get a boot for my AL30 bought from ST last summer, I'd be interested.

Wasabi Loco
08-26-2007, 07:24
No tanks without boots on my boat I personally use the rubber boots.

Cheers.

ScubaJenn81
08-27-2007, 06:09
Boot for sure

scubafreak
08-27-2007, 06:20
Boots on my tanks

rubberduck
08-27-2007, 06:36
I have boots on my tanks. I ususally remove them after a couple of dives and give them a good rinse.

TAH 73
08-27-2007, 07:04
Picked up a couple of rental tanks over the W/E and most were booted, one was not.
The one tank that was not booted was a colored tank and the bottom of the tank was chipped to crap.

fire diver
08-27-2007, 08:01
Tanks aren't supposed to look all pretty and shiny except when sitting on the sales floor. After that the scratches, chips, bumps, and bruises all show signs of love and use. My first set of tanks have lost about as much paint as they have left. They are always the first to be used, and therefore get used on every dive trip.

FD

loudgonzo
08-27-2007, 12:36
Boot on mine:smiley20: