PDA

View Full Version : Shy newbie seeking advice

Olgs
05-24-2009, 14:42
Hi ladies,
I was hoping to find some good advice from others who hopefully can see where I am coming from.
I got certified in June of 2007 and went diving that August in the Yucatan. It was amazing, one of the best experiences of my life.
Diving was not really my passion nor my idea until I tried it. I did it to humor my then-significant other. That relationship has since ended but sadly so has my connection to the scuba diving world. It would be a shame to lose the opportunity to dive again if I do not go soon but I have reservations.
For one, I am not a strong swimmer or strong enough to carry tanks and other equipment very far (I am petite). Also, It takes me a while to feel comfortable with people especially to the point where I could trust them to be diving buddies. At this point, I know my friends aren't going to do it and I sense that my time is running out.
Can anyone offer advice? Maybe volunteer for a short dive trip somewhere in Texas :)? Thanks, promise I'm not a creepo.

troutgirl
05-24-2009, 14:53
Find a local dive shop! They will have a dive group and you should be able to find some women to buddy up with. The groups plan trips all over the place, so you can develop your skills with people you've gotten to know and usually the leader of the group is a dive instructor. If they are planning on a trip to Bonaire-GO!!! The current is almost non-existent, the visibility is excellent, the sea life is incredible, access to the water is easy (many resorts have a dock, boat rides are short, and the shore diving (once you are comfortable with it, is amazing). I learned to dive there and think its the best for newbies. Not too far, not too exotic, as diving goes, the environment is relatively benign(no big nasty sharks), and once you are in the 80' water and see all of the critters, you'll be hooked!

Troutgirl

Splitlip
05-24-2009, 15:15
Hmmm. Can you post some pictures.

Wait! Just kidding!

If you are really in Texas and not a Troll, you have come upon the best web site for meeting some of the nicest people in that great State. The entire nation for that matter. They are kind, knowledgeable and very cool. And SCUBA divers.

Take it slow and these guys will reach out to you.

Peace.

chilly willy
05-24-2009, 16:04
Splitlip has it right, especially if you are anywhere close to the Dallas area. If so pay a visit to Scuba Toys, the staff are friendly and have lots of resources available, not to mention some of the best prices available for equipment. Otherwise there is a huge amount of Texas divers on this forum, you might also introduce yourself in here, http://forum.scubatoys.com/welcome-our-scuba-forum-introduce-yourself/ .

Good luck and have fun.

cruzan
05-24-2009, 20:32
Hi ladies,
I was hoping to find some good advice from others who hopefully can see where I am coming from.
I got certified in June of 2007 and went diving that August in the Yucatan. It was amazing, one of the best experiences of my life.
Diving was not really my passion nor my idea until I tried it. I did it to humor my then-significant other. That relationship has since ended but sadly so has my connection to the scuba diving world. It would be a shame to lose the opportunity to dive again if I do not go soon but I have reservations.
For one, I am not a strong swimmer or strong enough to carry tanks and other equipment very far (I am petite). Also, It takes me a while to feel comfortable with people especially to the point where I could trust them to be diving buddies. At this point, I know my friends aren't going to do it and I sense that my time is running out.
Can anyone offer advice? Maybe volunteer for a short dive trip somewhere in Texas :)? Thanks, promise I'm not a creepo.

If you can't find anybody here check with your local dive shop. See if you can find a new buddy there.

Liv7301
05-25-2009, 09:30
There are lots of great dive clubs throughout Texas...a nice way to find a buddy and a social/dive group to hang with. There are even internet site for single divers to find buddies in their area! Do a little poking around and you will be surprised with what you will find!

scubadiver888
05-25-2009, 12:30
Hi ladies,

Hi Olgs, I can relate. I'm not always comfortable meeting new people.

Go to some local dive shops. Some will be all business and just try to sell you some gear. A lot however will be dive enthusiast. Good shops will organize local dives, dive trips and social events. My local dive shop (LDS) goes out for drinks every Thursday night. If you don't drink they encourage you to drop by the pool on, "try it' days were you can try out new gear or just chat with people.

Whatever you are comfortable with should be okay. If you are in the Dallas area you might want to pop into Scuba Toys and talk to some of the staff. See if they have social events you might feel comfortable in. I got to know the owner of the dive shop. I chat with her at first. She invited me to BBQs. I finally showed up at one and it was okay. I now go to more things and it is feeling more like family gatherings.

Largo
05-25-2009, 13:33
My friend Domino was in the same situation, so I introduced her to my friend Fiona who also is petite and likes to dive.
They like being buddies, because their air consumption is about the same.

They both use smaller cylinders like this one: Aluminum 63 Scuba Tank reviews and discounts, Catalina (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=AL63)

Domino said that she misses having the extra dive time with the 80 cu ft. cylinder, but that the 63 is more comfortable.

Olgs
05-25-2009, 21:22
The support from this site has been overwhelming. I'm in the Houston area, not a troll and don't know how to add a photo.
I'm not really looking for dating and such.

Splitlip
05-25-2009, 22:19
The support from this site has been overwhelming. I'm in the Houston area, not a troll and don't know how to add a photo.

I wasn't serious about the photo.:)

Smoochy
05-26-2009, 13:45

I'm in the Houston area too! There are a NUMBER of dive groups around houston. I belong to City of Houston Underwater Mariners - The Water's More Exciting with CHUM in it (http://www.chumclub.org) and it is a great community. It started out as a close knit group of friends, and now it's a pretty close knit, LARGE group of people that always welcome new comers... I was a new comer a year and a half ago. I would definitely suggest joining a local club!

porkchop
06-24-2009, 21:55
Hi ladies,

Sorry if I'm repeating, but I didn't see this answer to one of your concerns. Don't let the fears of not being a strong swimmer or strong enough to carry your gear keep you from diving. I am 5'3", 102 lbs and it took me a long time to realize that I could actually do it. (it get's a lot easier the more you do). Until then, generally divers are pretty nice people who are always willing to help out. Just let the dive shop know what your fears are and more than likely they will pair you up with just the right person. Best wishes...

underh2o
06-24-2009, 22:38
In my area we go to LDS and they set up a diver tree..locals numbers and when you want to dive make a call. I have seen divers use 2 wheel carts to get tanks to water then put gear on in the water. There is no correct way, just functional. Good luck. I have realized that most divers are willing to help.

firstdive2005
06-25-2009, 00:51
Hi Olgs! My hat off to you for wanting to tackle the diving issues.There are lots of solutions.
The weak swimmer thing, well get your butt to a pool and start doing laps, dont be lazy in this matter. Your cardio and muscle tone will love it anyway.
Your a girl, guys will carry your gear, buy them a beer after. nuf said?
The joke aside now. I dive often in Cozumel. My favourite dives are when a lady from Michigan gets there. She is 82. What a fire ball. I will never ever forget my first dive with her. She is all of five feet tall. The tank weighed more than her. Well when I said gingerly, How the heck are your going to kit up she said- Thats what I pay the dm for, watch us go. It was cool, she got in the water. The boys held onto her and they put her bc on in the water and the dive was phenonmenal. She is my hero.
Her husband was there too, just a beaming from all the attention. Cool.
You will find a gear toting solution. You can get things with wheels that will cart your gear.
Like all the suggestions before get to a dive store. Look on the net for your area dive clubs, youll be diving in no time. you likely are by now anyway. So dont be shy. Grab the shark by the fin and go for it.
Come to Coz july 19 for a few dives I'll look after ya. I dive with Scubamau. They guys that work there wont let you lift a finger. It's difficult for me. I'm used to doing everything.
So I hope you stay the course in diving. We need you.

tapprach
06-25-2009, 07:18
Dive shop it. My local dive shop has weekly activities for divers to meet up and dive/dinner/chill. They also support dive trips which is nice as a instructor is always there to help if needed.

Good Luck!!

caburrid
07-26-2009, 18:59
The group here is great and can help get you into a group that will show you the ropes and get you out to some cool dive sites. While there are a lot of people here that are light hearted, they all strive to answer any questions. You came to the right place.

gNats
07-30-2009, 13:41
OP, meet Tim, aka Splitlip. You will get used to him. Sort of like a jelly sting... rather harmless but very irritating all the same.

Splitlip, down boy, down.

:smilie40:

J/K SL, you are not irritating. Or, do I mean harmless? hmmmmmmmm :-D

gNats
07-30-2009, 13:54
Hi ladies,

Sorry if I'm repeating, but I didn't see this answer to one of your concerns. Don't let the fears of not being strong enough to carry your gear keep you from diving. I am 5'3", 102 lbs and it took me a long time to realize that I could actually do it. (it get's a lot easier the more you do). Until then, generally divers are pretty nice people who are always willing to help out. Just let the dive shop know what your fears are and more than likely they will pair you up with just the right person. Best wishes...

I agree, don't worry if you cannot carry your gear as efficiently as others. The big thing is that you can assemble and maintain your gear yourself. Plenty of people will lend a hand, but you should be able to attach your own gear safely and effeciently.

Also, until you become more comfortable carrying and shlepping your gear, you can do things to accomodate your strength.

1) Use bags or bins that roll over a variety of surfaces. If you are boat diving, there are backpack style bags that allow you to distribute the weight of your loose unassembled gear (mask, fins, gloves, hood) across your shoulders, rather than your forearms.

2) Assemble your gear at your car / truck and carry it on your back to the entry point. Leave the weights out and carry separately. Do this before you don your wetsuit so you are not too hot and get exhausted.

3) Plan on making more trips to the water's edge. This will mean you take more time to get ready, but you are also self-sufficient and don't hurt yourself.

4) always carry weights separate from gear.

5) Buy a tank carry strap. It commonly fits around an AL 80 and changes the angle of the tank as you carry it. You carry the tank like a handbag (Horizontal) instead by the neck (vertical). this made a huge difference for me, the AL80 is so long on my body I was unable to clear the ground by the neck and my forearms are not that strong.

6) Also look at buying a Steel 80 instead of an AL80. The steel is the same weight, (pretty much) and it is shorter. It will be more comfortable on your back and require less lead while diving.

7) Arrive early so you can get the choice parking spot nearest the water/entry point, boat dock.

I hope these ideas work for you.

Splitlip
07-30-2009, 16:36
I am 5'3", 102 lbs ..
Nice! :smiley20:

mouse
07-30-2009, 20:15
I was curious to find out if you've had any luck finding a group or buddy to dive with. I'm in Ocala, Fl and our dive shop has a lot of weekend meets and people just sign up and go on trips. Hopefully you have been able to find a shop that host trips. Good luck and don't give up especially if your enjoying it.

Amazon
08-05-2009, 00:33
I to am new to diving, I will finish certification Labor day week-end. Here in Kansas it is difficult to dive anywhere. Bever Lake Arkansas is the closest. I found it interesting that others did not have specific diving buddies. This has been a concern for me as well. I am a 50 something female and do not know of any other diver in my small town. I will be cruising to Grand Cayman and Cozemel in November and plan on diving at both ports of call. If anyone out there has any recommendations for a new-be going to these locations I would be glad to hear them.

navyhmc
08-05-2009, 02:25
I to am new to diving, I will finish certification Labor day week-end. Here in Kansas it is difficult to dive anywhere. Bever Lake Arkansas is the closest. I found it interesting that others did not have specific diving buddies. This has been a concern for me as well. I am a 50 something female and do not know of any other diver in my small town. I will be cruising to Grand Cayman and Cozemel in November and plan on diving at both ports of call. If anyone out there has any recommendations for a new-be going to these locations I would be glad to hear them.

There are a number of us here in the land of stagnant waters.... Table Rock and Oronogo are also options. Where are you taking your class through? I'm guessing either here in Wichita or Topeka/KC?

As far as GC and Coz, the best case may be to go through the cruise line to book your dives. At the very least let the DM know you're a new diver and they will help you out accordingly. Aslo, if you book thorugh the cruise line, ask them if they can connect you with some of the divers on the ship that are also going to be on those dives.

scubadiver888
08-05-2009, 11:11

I assume you are going on a cruise ship like Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, et cetera.

If you book your dives through the cruise ship they will have everyone meet in a central location on the ship. I usually show up a little early and chat with the other divers. This is a good time to pick a buddy. You can find out who is a lot like you and make them your buddy.

Even if you don't find a buddy, the dive masters will find a buddy for you or they will be your buddy. The dives are pretty well organized and the dive masters have done it a hundred times or more. Most the time the dive master will be at you, literally, in a few seconds if you are having trouble. Usually they know what can go wrong and take steps to prevent it before it happens.

Basically, cruise ship diving is specifically designed for people on vacation. No worries, you are paying for someone to take care of everything for you.

bigman241
08-13-2009, 21:05
I am new to diving getting my cert next month. If i was close i would love to. I need a dive buddy to. GOod luck.

John Yaskowich
08-14-2009, 07:47
I will be cruising to Grand Cayman and Cozemel in November and plan on diving at both ports of call. If anyone out there has any recommendations for a new-be going to these locations I would be glad to hear them.

The forums at Cruise Critics has a Scuba and Snorkle board plus boards for your specific cruise. Post there to see if you can link up with others. Cruise Critic Message Boards (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/)

An alternative to the cruiseline's scuba trips is Shore Trips Welcome to ShoreTrips® - Your Guide to Shore Excursions (http://www.shoretrips.com/default.asp). I booked a couple of dives through them (plus a rainforest tour) and was very happy.

boates
08-14-2009, 08:13
Often when shore diving it's easier to wear your gear....minus the suit to the site, depending on the footing of course. At the very least wear your weight belt.
As already stated, the best way to go as a single diver is local clubs. It's been my experience that people are happy to help with gear hauling if needed, especially if you bring post dive home baked treats:smiley2:

Good luck in your quest!