PDA

View Full Version : Mask ?

ixrayu
08-24-2007, 15:39
I think I hate my mask (actually I've hated my mask since confined water dive #1. No one will listen to me though). The stupid thing leaks right under my nose if I move my mouth the least little bit. I'm not talking about smiling, just getting a firmer grip on the regulator, resealing around it, etc. My ? is ... is this normal? My husband says yes, my son says no. The wonderful scuba instructor who is teaching my 3 year old to swim is going to check my mask for me on Mon. She thinks that the mask must not fit me right because she says it shouldn't leak. The brand is Titos Mirage. What is ya'lls opinion?

MEL-DC Diver
08-24-2007, 15:52
May not be the mask for you. Try someone else's and then I think you'll have your answer.

thor
08-24-2007, 15:57
Shouldn't leak like that, assuming you are gripping the reg normally in your mouth. Mask should tolerate minor adjustments. My guess is that the bottom of the skirt on the mask is too long/big for your face. Try a smaller mask or try liquid skin, Atomic, or black skirt masks. They will be more forgiving with movements, since they have softer skirts

Souvy
08-24-2007, 16:08
I had a similar leaky mask issue. My mask kept leaking from under my nose constantly. I switched to the Mares Liquidskin and that helped quite a bit. It's really a matter of trying on a mask to see which gives you the best seal. I'm thinking your scuba instructor might have the right idea. That being said, in my opinion it's not about the fanciest or most expensive mask, it's all about fit. My advice would be to try on every mask in the shop to see how they fit you. I've also seen posts regarding a mask leak sealant that you apply to your mask, but I have not had any experience with it. Cheers.

Flatliner
08-24-2007, 22:58
Nope, not normal, try a new one.

chip
10-24-2007, 17:27
I have had the same experience in the past, but I learned it was my equipment AND the shape of my face.