PDA

View Full Version : rs-130

chewyjr15
08-24-2007, 17:17
i know it has been extensivley covered and i know its a great breathing reg for the price but my question is how will it do in 50 deg water cuase i really cant bring myslef to spend 350 plus on a reg.

ScubaToys Larry
08-24-2007, 17:19
No problem. Anything will work until you get into the low 40's. Then you want to look at sealed regs. I've been in the 50's with the tusa many times - as have a bunch of our students!

chewyjr15
08-24-2007, 17:22
ok thank to begin wiht i dont really need to get a zeagle DVT or flathead the tusa will be more than enough?

ScubaToys Larry
08-24-2007, 17:35
Yes... it's a great reg at that price point. I've compared them to ones costing twice that - and it holds it's own.

chewyjr15
08-24-2007, 17:37
alright thanks larry

Darth Fishhead
08-24-2007, 18:54
Not that my opinion matters compared to Larry's, but I dive my Rs-130 almost exclusively in 50 deg water. It's all we have around here. It has never been anything but superb.:smiley20:

chewyjr15
08-24-2007, 21:06
ok than the tusa it is for me

ScubaToys Larry
08-24-2007, 21:12
Not that my opinion matters compared to Larry's, but I dive my Rs-130 almost exclusively in 50 deg water. It's all we have around here. It has never been anything but superb.:smiley20:

Please keep in mind.. your opinion matters more than mine! I hope people realize I always try to be honest - but in the back of peoples minds, we've been trained to not believe the guy who is selling us something... whether it's a used car, insurance, or even scuba gear. It's only by folks like you - impartial users of the product that can give their opinion that buyers can learn about products. It really helps them finalize their buying decisions. For that reason - we have this board. And your participation in it is greatly appreciated and valued.

Thanks!

chewyjr15
08-24-2007, 21:14
thanks larry

Jaymeany
08-24-2007, 21:27
What about the RS-460? I really like this reg. But I haven't checked teh price difference.

ScubaToys Larry
08-24-2007, 21:48
The 460 is actually a scubapro reg... It's a MK16 R380 reg. Tusa makes a few reg parts for Scubapro... If you want a diaphragm reg that is very dependable, and don't care about adjustments - probably a very good choice. Performance wise - from using both, I would not say I've noticed any difference at depths up to 120 feet or so. But some folks, especially if diving colder water prefer the diaphragm design. For me... cold means below 80 - and I actually like adjustments on my reg.

So if I wanted something in the Tusa line - and I wanted to spend a bit more than the RS 130, I go with this guy: http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=RS-240

The 240 would give me a diaphragm (which I don't really care) but it has a very cool swivel (like the atomic regs have) on the hose and is adjustable. It is a very sweet breathing reg - shows up a bit better on our machine - but to be honest - in using it - the difference if any is subtle.

You also have a difference in orientation of how the hoses come out of the two different regs - again, doesn't matter to me - but some care. You can look at the 2 first stages and see the difference.

Hope that helps!

mike_s
08-24-2007, 22:06
The swivel on the RS-240 isn't worth much. After you put it under pressure, it doesn't swivel unless you hold onto the hose with your hands ans move it mannually. It won't move/swivel as you turn your head with it in your mouth.

That said. it's still a good regulator. It's the same regulator as the RS-230 if you take the swivel off it.

chewyjr15
08-25-2007, 00:02
still think im gonna get the 130 as it is cheap dependable adjustable and has great reviews and im on a tight budget as well so yea

ScubaToys Larry
08-25-2007, 00:11
You are not going wrong. Great choice.

chewyjr15
08-25-2007, 00:15
great

creggur
08-25-2007, 08:45
Chewy congrats on settling on a reg..I know how fun, but frustrating, the gear search can be. I bounced between so many regs trying to balance budget and performance. How is the rest of your gear search going??

cummings66
08-25-2007, 09:53
Probably just as hard. The regulator is one of the easier things to choose IMO so I'd bet it gets hairy from here.

creggur
08-25-2007, 12:05
The reg was the hardest for me...
I settled on the Brigade BCD pretty quick. The computer was easy for me too..Most economical nx - Veo 180.

I struggled with the regs..Mares, Oceanic, Zeagle, Tusa, Aeris,...Of these manufacturers all had at least one, sometimes more, in my price range ($300 - $400). Made it really tough to choose...

chewyjr15
08-25-2007, 12:11
gear search is going ok i wish i could get a veo 180 but ST is all out of them so it looks like i cant have that and im still looking for a deccent nx computer. And iv settled on the brigade with rear weight pockets.

creggur
08-25-2007, 12:57
I think this is essentially the same computer, don't know if you are looking for the whole console, but this was my second choice behind the Oceanic..

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Atmos22Gauge

chewyjr15
08-25-2007, 13:13
yea thats what im looking at getting right now

chewyjr15
08-26-2007, 12:52
i will be ordering one within a month

downunder
08-30-2007, 11:14
I just logged my first 5 dives in the Keys this past week with the RS-130. I had recently purchased it to replace an aging Dacor Extreme (now my back-up). I felt that it a very nice breathing regulator. It just seemed a little harder when I was upside-down. I tend to like to look under rock ledges upside down - gets my eyes closer to the bottom without touching. The adjustments had very little effect in general. Overall though, this is a great regulator - especially for the money!

texarkandy
08-30-2007, 14:56
Joe set me up with a good budget-minded deal on a similar package earlier this year:

Tusa RS-130 w/Mares Brigade Octo
Aeris Console w/Atmos 2 nx computer, compass on top, & dive knife in integrated sheath on back of console (don't know if they still have these)
Zeagle Brigade

Same setup for my JOW buddy (except Zena BC)

As noobs, we've been pretty happy with them this summer and I like us having similar equipment - The Tusa Regs definitely seem to breathe better for us than the SubaPro rentals we used in class (I don't know what model)

I am however considering if I want to get wrist straps for the computer & compass and putting a backup analog depth gauge in the computer's place in the console - still reading/talking the pros/cons

All in all I feel we got a really good entry level setup that should last us at least a couple years at which time we may (or may not) start wanting different stuff/configuration. Maybe go BP/W - long hose primary reg - secondary reg instead of Octo? (Don't worry, I'll try to spit out the kool-aid when they're not looking:) )

(Oh, and don't forget the download cable if you get the computer!)

Darth Fishhead
08-31-2007, 10:14

Please keep in mind.. your opinion matters more than mine! I hope people realize I always try to be honest - but in the back of peoples minds, we've been trained to not believe the guy who is selling us something... whether it's a used car, insurance, or even scuba gear. It's only by folks like you - impartial users of the product that can give their opinion that buyers can learn about products. It really helps them finalize their buying decisions. For that reason - we have this board. And your participation in it is greatly appreciated and valued.

Thanks!
The way I see it, Larry and Co. have been doing this for a while, and know what they're doing. Based upon dealings that I and others have had with ST, your opinion is priceless. Seriously, if you were a typical salesman, you'd be telling chewy that the only way to go is the Posiden reg which will allow him to dive to 1000 ft and even some light space travel. Rather, you are extolling the values of one of the lowest priced regs I've ever seen.
In contrast, I've been open-water certified for little over a year, am still working toward dive #25 and forget my compass on every other dive. So, while I have an RS-130, I don't have a lot of comparison to speak to. I understand your comment, Larry, and it makes me feel warm, fuzzy and important, but I would never think of your opinion as a sales pitch, and I think that it is very safe for others to think in kind.
I simply don't know why people would shop anywhere else...

chewyjr15
08-31-2007, 13:34
well i think i will be getting the rs 130 unless i can come up with enough cash for a zeagle envoy deluxe

ryancollier
09-21-2007, 10:06
Does the Tusa RS-130 have a balanced first and second stage?

CaptainRon
10-10-2007, 05:58
I'm considering the RS-130 also. The RS-130 is a balanced regulator. It also has a manual adjustment on it.

I have considered both the RS-130 package with the Dacor Talon BCD and the Aeris A1 Package with the same BCD. These two packages actually price out about the same when a computer is figured in so I will probably go with the Tusa RS-130 package. Just my opinion....

moosicman
11-04-2007, 07:43
I have a question that i think i know the answer to but i'm asking this anyway......the tusa rs-130 for 179 on ST....that isn't JUST the second stage is it??? tell me what i think, that it IS both first and second stages

ScubaToys Larry
11-04-2007, 09:41
I have a question that i think i know the answer to but i'm asking this anyway......the tusa rs-130 for 179 on ST....that isn't JUST the second stage is it??? tell me what i think, that it IS both first and second stages

Oh... No, no, no... you don't get the first or the second stage... it's just the hose in between. :smiley36:

Yea... It's the whole shooting match... first, second, hose, and when we put it together for you with whatever octo and gauges you want - you get a reg bag in there too!

nodubloonsyet
06-05-2008, 01:12
re: "Please keep in mind.. your opinion matters more than mine! I hope people realize I always try to be honest - but in the back of peoples minds, we've been trained to not believe the guy who is selling us something... whether it's a used car, insurance, or even scuba gear. It's only by folks like you - impartial users of the product that can give their opinion that buyers can learn about products. It really helps them finalize their buying decisions. For that reason - we have this board. And your participation in it is greatly appreciated and valued."

Hi larry,

I come from hang gliding...where THIS kind of honesty is NOT forthcoming from many instructor(s)who are more interested in getting the commissions that ONE glider manufacturer offers them, than what might be better and less costly as well for the student. In fact...I felt very frowned upon due to the knowledge I had(LOTS of great used and older gliders out there!..or other mfgs.) which interfered with my HG instructors profit politics. He would not rate me and concentrated his efforts students he knew he could sell a new glider to....though I paid as much as them for the lessons. Something I had something to say about earlier TODAY, in fact.

So...I VERY, VERY much appreciate this openness/balance/humility on your part regarding the scuba needs and interests I have. We all know that in fact your opinion does matter as much or more. It is that you have not adopted a Kingly attitude over people/newbies(I am one too). I too need an inexpensive but trusty reg I can use when I dive local lakes. And hear you are...not afraid to recommend the $179.00 one instead of the near $400 or much higher that obviously would make you more money. THAT is my kind of ethics and guy! I may buy a spendy glider SOMEDAY; I may buy a spendy regulator SOMEDAY...when and if reality calls for either. I DON'T like being sold stuff I do NOT need. Or being treated like I 'suck' because I don't.

You are not the first scuba forum I have registered with/disected(re regs)today...but yours is the first that was so clear cut honest and respectful to what I need. Not just in a regulator/equipment...but in attitude. I love flying. I love the water!!!! I HATE marketeering. HG does not have quite enough competition to cool some big egos. Scuba offers TONS of options in training/certification and equipment. So that makes it even more impressive that you stand out with a comfort and honesty that I (among others)can certainly appreciate. I was hoping to get a reg in June and it will be the Tusa; coming from ST. I build/sell my own design of printing equipment and I never forget that attitude should never be put behind profits. I remember MY first day in my trade(screen printing)and so I can and do honor newbies and experienced alike. If I do not find THAT in others...say a hang gliding class..or? I cannot support it. I won't pay for what I would not sell or use myself. Regarding an attitude or product. It can make or break a customer, or even an industry(HG is dying in ways). for the first time in years scuba may overtake my interest in HG. HG is too full of itself 'at the top'. IMO. I might just as well enjoy doing my 'flying' in AQUA 'skies'!

I am going to bed now knowing I found sensible stuff from sensible guys! This is my first post...sorry for the wordiness. I've seen too much for better and for worse to not speak up sometimes. So many have bought from me because I treated them right. Even when I wanted them to see the technical advantages of what I have/do! THAT is the power of right treatment.

I appreciate your simple straightforward help to 'chewyjr15' and it helps ME these many months later as well. I will be ordering my reg from you by end of next week. Looking forward to it!

reactive
06-05-2008, 08:46
re: "Please keep in mind.. your opinion matters more than mine! I hope people realize I always try to be honest - but in the back of peoples minds, we've been trained to not believe the guy who is selling us something... whether it's a used car, insurance, or even scuba gear. It's only by folks like you - impartial users of the product that can give their opinion that buyers can learn about products. It really helps them finalize their buying decisions. For that reason - we have this board. And your participation in it is greatly appreciated and valued."

Hi larry,

I come from hang gliding...where THIS kind of honesty is NOT forthcoming from many instructor(s)who are more interested in getting the commissions that ONE glider manufacturer offers them, than what might be better and less costly as well for the student. In fact...I felt very frowned upon due to the knowledge I had(LOTS of great used and older gliders out there!..or other mfgs.) which interfered with my HG instructors profit politics. He would not rate me and concentrated his efforts students he knew he could sell a new glider to....though I paid as much as them for the lessons. Something I had something to say about earlier TODAY, in fact.

So...I VERY, VERY much appreciate this openness/balance/humility on your part regarding the scuba needs and interests I have. We all know that in fact your opinion does matter as much or more. It is that you have not adopted a Kingly attitude over people/newbies(I am one too). I too need an inexpensive but trusty reg I can use when I dive local lakes. And hear you are...not afraid to recommend the $179.00 one instead of the near $400 or much higher that obviously would make you more money. THAT is my kind of ethics and guy! I may buy a spendy glider SOMEDAY; I may buy a spendy regulator SOMEDAY...when and if reality calls for either. I DON'T like being sold stuff I do NOT need. Or being treated like I 'suck' because I don't.

You are not the first scuba forum I have registered with/disected(re regs)today...but yours is the first that was so clear cut honest and respectful to what I need. Not just in a regulator/equipment...but in attitude. I love flying. I love the water!!!! I HATE marketeering. HG does not have quite enough competition to cool some big egos. Scuba offers TONS of options in training/certification and equipment. So that makes it even more impressive that you stand out with a comfort and honesty that I (among others)can certainly appreciate. I was hoping to get a reg in June and it will be the Tusa; coming from ST. I build/sell my own design of printing equipment and I never forget that attitude should never be put behind profits. I remember MY first day in my trade(screen printing)and so I can and do honor newbies and experienced alike. If I do not find THAT in others...say a hang gliding class..or? I cannot support it. I won't pay for what I would not sell or use myself. Regarding an attitude or product. It can make or break a customer, or even an industry(HG is dying in ways). for the first time in years scuba may overtake my interest in HG. HG is too full of itself 'at the top'. IMO. I might just as well enjoy doing my 'flying' in AQUA 'skies'!

I am going to bed now knowing I found sensible stuff from sensible guys! This is my first post...sorry for the wordiness. I've seen too much for better and for worse to not speak up sometimes. So many have bought from me because I treated them right. Even when I wanted them to see the technical advantages of what I have/do! THAT is the power of right treatment.

I appreciate your simple straightforward help to 'chewyjr15' and it helps ME these many months later as well. I will be ordering my reg from you by end of next week. Looking forward to it!

Welcome to the board! I don't know a single person here that will disagree with you about the honesty and more than fairness from the guys over at Scuba Toys. Don't forget to post 9 more times and you'll get a $10 Gift Certificate to go along with the %10 discount you get from being a member of the forum!

nodubloonsyet
06-05-2008, 20:51
"Welcome to the board! I don't know a single person here that will disagree with you about the honesty and more than fairness from the guys over at Scuba Toys. Don't forget to post 9 more times and you'll get a $10 Gift Certificate to go along with the %10 discount you get from being a member of the forum!"

Woo hoo!!!! Discounts are great! No novels...in my semi-quiet reflective mood today(reflecting on sunny days as it will be RAINING HERE ALL WEEK). 'Breathing easy' goes beyond a regulator type; nice to know that I can breathe easy in ordering whatever I will need.

Question: it seems to me that I will not need an octo since I am diving no deeper than 20 feet(and occasionally so)being I am lake diving. I have an 80 CF tank (high pressure scubapro..older with J-valve..just hydroed and filled this week)and I wonder as well what kind of lift I would require in a BC...or do I need a bc at all? Does anybody make a tank mounted air bladder system for when very light compensation is required? Just a thought. Yes I am newbie(Lookout!..I've got a loaded question and I'm not afraid to use it!). I am picking up the tusa reg next week(ordering) and I am wondering just how light I can travel gear wise on 12 to 20 foot 'dives'? I love to scuba the lakes I go kayaking on, and I want to stay UNDER water (no more infernal bobbing up for air!)with no more equipment than it will require. Evenso...I will not be stupid about it. Whatever I need I will get.:smiley20: