PDA

View Full Version : Shadow mask keeps fogging

RoyN
05-26-2009, 00:43
Hi guys,

For those using the shadow mask, does yours keep fogging up? No matter how many times I use the toothpaste and seagold which is supposed to be the best defog material, the mask keeps fogging up and it is annoying me alot!

Zenagirl
05-26-2009, 07:39
The Shadow is notorious for fogging and fogging and fogging. I actually had to give mine to the guy at the dive shop to use some heavy duty mask stuff he had, and he said he and his wife worked on the mask for over an hour total to get the film off the inside.

Keep working at it, and try running it through the dishwasher (dry cycle OFF) between de-filming sessions.

MagnaBoxer
05-26-2009, 10:17
Currently using a Mini Shadow and had also heard of the fogging issues. So when I got mine I used Sea Buff on it 5-6 times polishing vigorously each time then rinsing well between applications. Never had a seconds problem with fogging and I too use the Sea Gold anti fog.

On a side note the first mask I ever owned was a Cressi and it fogged so badly that it was unusable. Was in Cozumel at the time and had tried the toothbrush / toothpaste trick to no avail. Our DM noted that I was having an issue and during our SI he asked if he could see it. He held a lit cigarette lighter under it and moved it side to side until he had covered the entire glass surface and you could literally see this "coating" turning black as it burned off. After that he rinsed it a couple times and it really helped with the fogging issues.

CompuDude
05-26-2009, 17:12
Follow the cleaning procedures here: SCUBA Knowtes, Your Dive Mask (http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/scuba_mask.html)

Largo
05-26-2009, 17:15
RoyN has been diving cold California waters for awhile.

Maybe, the lens is too thin, and therefore it's the wrong mask for the area?

I don't know. Just killing time on the internet.

CompuDude
05-26-2009, 17:36
RoyN has been diving cold California waters for awhile.

Maybe, the lens is too thin, and therefore it's the wrong mask for the area?

I don't know. Just killing time on the internet.

Thickness of glass is irrelevant, it's all about how clean the inside surface of the glass is... and how many microscopic particles there are for water to condense on.

Largo
05-26-2009, 17:44
Really?

Not relevant at all?

As your virtual online internet friend, I'm asking; Can you positively without a doubt say that a thinner lens won't conduct more heat, thereby making the lens fog faster?

You don't have to know everything. You know lots of things, and that's enough. We all love you.

Let that sink in...for a minute. We all love YOU.

I would take a bullet for you, man.

(But not for Zenagirl. She's too convinced that Zeagle is the end-all be-all for me. Maybe she is the vice=president for marketing at Zeagle. Who knows? Yeah, I'll take a bullet for me and Compudude. Zenagirl, you're on your own.)

clayton
05-26-2009, 18:18
I dive in canada and have tried many anti fog treatments the best yet i found in florida it is called SPIT they make a cleaner called scrub,on net
jawsproducts.com,lds was so impressed when he tried it he cleared out stock of all others and sells this stuff only.

Zenagirl
05-26-2009, 18:18
You are a funny man, Largo!

Largo
05-26-2009, 18:31
Yeah, but.

RoyN has tried scrubbing and cleaning , and spit, and the others.

He dives in cold waters.

Cold water = lots of fog. Tropical water = no fog.

CompuDude
05-26-2009, 19:06
Really?

Not relevant at all?

As your virtual online internet friend, I'm asking; Can you positively without a doubt say that a thinner lens won't conduct more heat, thereby making the lens fog faster?

You don't have to know everything. You know lots of things, and that's enough. We all love you.

Let that sink in...for a minute. We all love YOU.

I would take a bullet for you, man.

(But not for Zenagirl. She's too convinced that Zeagle is the end-all be-all for me. Maybe she is the vice=president for marketing at Zeagle. Who knows? Yeah, I'll take a bullet for me and Compudude. Zenagirl, you're on your own.)

LMAO

Ok, how about this: This would be the first post I've read, of the hundreds of thousands (yes, no exaggeration) of posts that I have read over the past 4 years or so, that mentioned the thickness of glass as a possible culprit in terms of fogging. So while you could be right, you'd also be the first to mention this train of thought. Which doesn't mean you're wrong. But honestly, it doesn't work out when I think it through.

Far more likely, in my mind, especially if a given mask is known for fogging, is that it's just not cleaned enough. Examples abound, of masks that were scrubbed repeatedly (especially with one single technique) but still fogged, but which stopped fogging after alternate cleaning techniques were tried (or at least additional cleanings).

If EVERY Shadow fogged badly, no matter how well they were cleaned, I'd be included to agree with you that the glass, an unchanging constant, could be to blame. But that doesn't appear to be the case... they are a frequently-recommended mask, especially among freedivers, even in these cold waters. If EVERYONE who wore one in cold water (such as the cold freedivers of Monterey) had fogging problems, regardless of cleaning techniques, I'd agree you could be on to something. The lack of condemnation from the cold water freediving community (many of whom also wear the same masks for scuba), and instead, the frequent recommendation for the Shadow, indicates to me that the glass is not an issue. (Unless Roy's particular mask has defective, inadvertently thin, lenses.)

I would recommend Roy try some alternate cleaning techniques. There are scrubbing compounds other than toothpaste. Softscrub works pretty well, from what I've heard, on those cases where the old toothpaste trick doesn't seem to cut it. For drastic cases, the lighter trick definitely has it's proponents (as long as you're careful).

Roy, try this, and report back: We all want to know if Oceanic needs to recall their masks due to thin glass, or if more cleaning gets the job done. :smiley2:

Largo, thanks for keeping it real, though. The love is mutual. :smiley31:

clayton
05-26-2009, 19:51
Spit and scrub are the product names.

Zenagirl
05-27-2009, 07:41
An addendum:

To Zenagirl: The BCDs are unique. The regs are not. They're Apeks designs.

To Scott: I want to be a Zeagle acolyte very much. I love the Ranger. But, you can't make the gear in China, and expect Americans to pay the same price as if it were made in the U.S.

I've been a loyal Zeagle guy, but recently, I'm looking at Atomic and Oceanic.

JUST customer feedback.

Actually, the Zeagle LTD is made right here in the USA, from start to finish. So if you want to buy American, by an LTD.

Also, the Zeagle regs aren't Apeks designs anymore (according to Scott). You could fairly say they are modified Apeks designs though. Plus since the Flathead 7 is a brand new reg, and Zeagle hasn't handled Apeks in forever, it would be hard to say it's an Apeks design, wouldn't it?

But I'd rather buy a reg from an American owned company with the kind of customer support and responsiveness of Zeagle than any faceless foreign company where I can't call and talk to a human in the factory. With Atomic you can talk to someone in California and they are known for excellent customer service as well.

Yes, I'm a big fan of Zeagle and part of the reason is the outstanding gear that I have. My husband has switched from ScubaPro and Aqualung gear to Zeagle for that reliability and excellence of customer service. I don't work for the company, I just like their gear, their customer service, and I consider Scott a friend, so Zeagle is my preferred brand

But honestly, it doesn't matter to me whether or not you buy Zeagle, Largo. To each his own, and I totally respect your opinion and choices.

RoyN
05-27-2009, 12:39
Okay guys, here is my report.

It "appears" to stop fogging except in some areas of the glass and those are on the edge so I pretty much don't mind. I've brushed and scrubbed the glass using an electric tooth brush and have used McNett's Sea buff. Today I'm going on the Truth Aquatics so probably won't be in contact until Monday. Also, I have my mako sherwood mask which will serve as a backup.