PDA

View Full Version : Adaptive Divers Area

Largo
05-26-2009, 17:00
How about adding an area for issues related to adaptive diving?

navyhmc
05-26-2009, 17:02
Sounds like a good idea to me!

bennerman
05-26-2009, 17:16
I am sure this will make me look like an idiot... but... adaptive diving?

navyhmc
05-26-2009, 17:23
I am sure this will make me look like an idiot... but... adaptive diving?

Adaptive diving refers to divers who have a disability of one sort or another. There are several divers on the forum that are disabled vet who still dive but need to either adapt gear or techniques to dive.

Asking doesn't make you an idiot, rather it makes you one who wants to learn soemthing you don't know-quite the opposite of an idiot.

bennerman
05-26-2009, 17:43
I have tourettes, adhd, and all that crap. Does that count? Its a learning disabillity of one type or t'other

Largo
05-26-2009, 17:46
It's not really that funny.

We're talking about guys who gave everything that they had for our country.

bennerman
05-26-2009, 17:48
He said disabilities, I was simply asking, not trying to offend.

Largo
05-26-2009, 17:57
No offense taken.

I just think that, if anyone deserves special treatment, it's disabled vets. We throw money at so many stupid causes, then ignore the people who keep us safe.

bennerman
05-26-2009, 18:00
I agree. A couple of the people at my school lost their parents in Afghanistan. We usually have a prayer service when that happens

Largo
05-26-2009, 18:17
There is one that we can all agree on.

Germans love David Hasselhoff.

Coastie6
05-26-2009, 18:39
Sounds like a great idea. I deal with these issues on the job regarding technology. There really are a number of issues that many of us take for granted that can represent challenges to those who might need special accommodations to fully enjoy an activity. I say let's see if the ST guys will go for it.

navyhmc
05-26-2009, 19:51
I have tourettes, adhd, and all that crap. Does that count? Its a learning disabillity of one type or t'other

My friend, I hate to call you out, but I do believe that you had a very good idea of what was meant/intended by my post. Your attempt to be cute and funny was neither appropriate nor appreciated. But then you knew that, correct?

While tourettes, adhd and all that crap are indeed disabilites, they hardly require accomodation. They require patience and understanding. Something I am attempting to adhere to at this time. Please think and consider those around you prior to posting such drivel.

BTW, a few folks that I served with are now diving thanks to the understanding and support of other divers. It's as much thearapy as there weekly or bi-weekly PT visits to learn to walk or use prosthetics for daily activities. And a few of them are Canadians I was proud to serve along too.

cruzan
05-27-2009, 18:47
Look into the suds program and /or HSA they are always in need of instructors and helpers.

The helper training for HSA has got to be one of the most eye opening things for able bodied divers. They train you to help disabled divers.

They try to give you some perspective as to hoe it feels. During the course you lose the function of one or more of your extremities by tying off your legs arms or both. Eventually you have to become completly dependant on your buddy.

My husband is hoping to finish his insructor cert over the next year. For you older divers he says the process, for the actual students is very much akin to the old days of instruction. Untill you pass each section you can't move foward to the next step. Think hell night without full use of your body.

din
06-16-2009, 04:04

wait, the hoff is a disabled diver?

bennerman
06-16-2009, 14:36

wait, the hoff is a disabled diver?

No, that was just an off topic post... kinda funny at that...

Splitlip
06-16-2009, 17:53
Look into the suds program and /or HSA they are always in need of instructors and helpers.

The helper training for HSA has got to be one of the most eye opening things for able bodied divers. They train you to help disabled divers.

They try to give you some perspective as to hoe it feels. During the course you lose the function of one or more of your extremities by tying off your legs arms or both. Eventually you have to become completly dependant on your buddy.

My husband is hoping to finish his insructor cert over the next year. For you older divers he says the process, for the actual students is very much akin to the old days of instruction. Untill you pass each section you can't move foward to the next step. Think hell night without full use of your body.
SUDS Diving > Program Description (http://www.sudsdiving.org/index_sub.php?did=2)

Coastie6
06-16-2009, 18:42

SUDS Diving > Program Description (http://www.sudsdiving.org/index_sub.php?did=2)

SUDS is a great program.

Joe, Larry, would you consider adding an topic area for adaptive divers?

Splitlip
06-16-2009, 19:04
Yeah. There are are number of divers I have seen post here who may not be vets, but they are inspirational. (If you realize they have dissabilities. Many may not be aware.)
I know a middle aged surfer who rides with a prosthetic leg. Unless you saw him making his way down the beach, you would never imagine it.

And of Course there is Rob Murphy the double amputee who lost is legs in January and is back.