PDA

View Full Version : Did I really see a 60 lb Lobster off Palancar

moabe
05-27-2009, 08:10
just got back from cozumel. Dove palancar wall and chanukanknknknk. I could have sworn that i saw a lobster as big as my 10 yr old at the chanukaka site. Was I on too much gas or does anyone else have any pics of this beast.

navyhmc
05-27-2009, 08:30
1. You were narc'd
2. The water refraction made the 2 lb lobster look big.
3. You saw a 10 year old in a lobster suit.

-or-

You saw a bigazz lobster.

I've not seen one on the wall, but that doesn't mean anything. I have seen a green moray that was absolutely huge-at least 18 in diameter at the gills so it is possible.

chinacat46
05-27-2009, 09:24
A better question is do you have any pictures?

moabe
05-27-2009, 13:07

picutres?? it was my first ocean dive, i could barely control my bowels, much less hold a camera:smiley29:

gee
05-27-2009, 13:58

picutres?? it was my first ocean dive, i could barely control my bowels, much less hold a camera:smiley29:

I couldn't help but laugh when I saw your response moabe! Congratulations on your first! I guess you're hooked forever now. I'll refrain from commenting on the presence of a Lobzilla in cozumel :smiley36:

CODMAN
05-27-2009, 14:19
I suppose it's possible. American Lobsters become that size (on occasion). I've personally held a 30 pounder in my hands (both). And from what I know, the caribean spiny lobster can grow larger than the american lobster...

So if it managed to avoid butter sauce long enough, it's plausible it grew that size...:smilie39:

Congrats on your first dive!:smiley20:

reactive
05-27-2009, 15:10
Did it look like this guy?
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/images/2009/03/19/lobster.jpg

MxDiver
05-27-2009, 16:08
That picture made me hungry it remainded me of the rosewood grille in Las Vegas
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa213/MxDiver/rosewood.jpg
I think I know what we are having for dinner tonight, if my wife knew the reason for taking her out for dinner was this forum....

reactive
05-27-2009, 16:32
Glad I could help out the Mrs! Even if it was by indirectly sending her hubby subliminal lobster messages! haha

cruzan
05-27-2009, 18:10
60lbs of lobster 4lbs melted butter and a couple of close friends.

Nah it be tough to eat something that managed to survive that long.

MxDiver
05-27-2009, 18:57

I don't thing lobster meat gets tougher like the beef from older cows, so you should be ok.

I am assuming that is what you are talking about, because there is no way I can feel bad about 60lbs of lobster.
(I'm one of the worse ones remember :smiley2:)

cruzan
05-27-2009, 20:21

I don't thing lobster meat gets tougher like the beef from older cows, so you should be ok.

I am assuming that is what you are talking about, because there is no way I can feel bad about 60lbs of lobster.
(I'm one of the worse ones remember :smiley2:)

No, remember your all really eight yrs old. None of you are really bad just mischievous:smiley2:.

1Kwik_69
06-04-2009, 17:16
You aren't crazy. I have a picture of one from there that I took about eight years ago. It might even be the same one? Our DM from Deep Blue was even surprised. He said he'd never even seen one that big. I'll have to dig up that pic when I'm home. :smiley2:

joed
06-26-2009, 18:59
just got back from cozumel. Dove palancar wall and chanukanknknknk. I could have sworn that i saw a lobster as big as my 10 yr old at the chanukaka site. Was I on too much gas or does anyone else have any pics of this beast.
I must have seen the same lobster when I was there in 2008. It was huge. In fact it was so big that the dive masters came overt to see it and began taking pictures. They marked the spot and called in to other divers about this lobster. It made quite an impression.

petronius
06-26-2009, 21:18
Did it look like this guy?
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outposts/images/2009/03/19/lobster.jpg

Multiplying that by 6 would be a scary-big lobster!

I'm glad you linked that; I've never looked at that LA Times outdoors blog, but it's pretty nice... Thanks!

watsonsl
07-21-2009, 14:15
We saw one on that same reef in 2006, if not 60 he had to weigh a good 50 lbs. Biggest dang crawfish i've ever seen!

steve and cindy cox
08-02-2009, 10:42
We just got back from Coz. last week also. We think we saw the same lobster at Palancar. It was easily 5 or 6 times larger than any lobster we have ever seen in our 23+ years of diving. Didn't have my camera on that dive so I didn't get any pictures. So you are not imagining things, he's there and he's HUGE. We also saw a king crab on that dive that had arms 3 feet across. I'm thinking someone is dumping steroids into the water.

dwh1836
08-09-2009, 20:49
i have seen some large lobsters down there(though not that large) so It seems possible. And I have also seen that huge green eel while I was takeing my drift diveing specialty.
Congrats on your first dive,its great when you get to see something that takes your breath away right off.

johnyringo
08-09-2009, 22:50
[quote=navyhmc;301071]1. You were narc'd
2. The water refraction made the 2 lb lobster look big.
3. You saw a 10 year old in a lobster suit.

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

boates
08-10-2009, 07:46
the largest lobster caught, on record was 44lbs 2oz, off the coast of N.S, I think 1977. Interesting thing about them, scientists don't know how long they live, as they don't breakdown mechanically, and continue to grow all their lives. A 2lb (cold water) lobster would be roughly 5 yrs, then growth slows from there. Scientists estimate age by size, so they figured this 1 around 100, and suspect a 150yr old could be possible, although the bigger they get, the harder to forage for food unseen by predators. It's suspected lobsters don't die naturally, but by predation. The older they get, the more fertile they become. A lobster (cold water) this size is indeed inedible, so leaving them to reproduce is best. Don't forget, if they lose limbs, they regenerate. They have to leave their shell to grow, and the new shell is a loose fit for the 1st season,the reason that sometimes when eating lobster, there seems to be alot of water inside, and the shell is still softish as it hasn't fully calcified. We've seen HUGE ones here, perhaps 3' tip of tail-tip of claws................interesting beasties :thumb: Food for thought........

Diver mom Tulsa
08-10-2009, 10:32
I saw a huge one at Palancar! It wasn't 60lbs but it was HUGE!

ScottW
08-10-2009, 11:45
I didn't get a pic of it but there was a very large lobster under one of the cement slabs off SCC.

bigman241
08-13-2009, 18:34
wow reminds me of the monster we saw snoklen in caymen in the animal no kill zone. we went there to fiz a guys jetskis everything paid plus 1000 when we let. He was a monster lobster the guy told me to toss him over the rope line then come back in 10 minutes and take him home. I was not getting near that thing i think it was there when godzilla was made.

Tekdivr
08-29-2009, 12:50
I can attest to seeing the same lobster off of Palancar. It was almost the size of an 80cf cylinder. Most lobster try running away. This one came stomping out towards me. I almost wet my shorts, even though they were already wet! I don't know how much air I burned up rounding up people to see it but eveyone appreciated it. Unfortunately no one had a camera with them. I'm heading back at the end of October and will be looking more intently this time and I'll be carrying a high def video camera. Hopefully I'll get lucky!

USN-SEALRetired
06-24-2010, 10:42
Remind me not to borrow your mask when I go lobstering for Maine Lobster. The biggest one I've caught weighed 22lbs & the crusher claw on that thing would have taken my hand off if a made a wrong move. Got him on a wreck off Long Island in 120ft. I don't think I'd do it again....next time I'll spear it & claim self defense.

Okc_diver
06-24-2010, 19:39
I saw a large lobster back in May I do have photos of it. I just wish I had something to compare it's size to.

Splitlip
06-24-2010, 20:00

My first thought as well, LOL.

Splitlip
06-24-2010, 20:03
I can attest to seeing the same lobster off of Palancar. It was almost the size of an 80cf cylinder. Most lobster try running away. This one came stomping out towards me. I almost wet my shorts, even though they were already wet! I don't know how much air I burned up rounding up people to see it but eveyone appreciated it. Unfortunately no one had a camera with them. I'm heading back at the end of October and will be looking more intently this time and I'll be carrying a high def video camera. Hopefully I'll get lucky!
The exist.
http://thescubaclub.com/chip.jpg

Okc_diver
06-24-2010, 23:45
The exist.
http://thescubaclub.com/chip.jpg

WOW!!!

navyhmc
06-25-2010, 02:00
Nice Split! Not many of those around anymore though.