PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for next Summer?

Travelnsj
08-24-2007, 16:51
I am trying to figure out where to go next summer. This year I went to Kona and Ft Lauderdale. Not really interested in repeating those destinations.

So I am thinking of either Puerto Rico, Bonaire or perhaps back to Cozumel.....Suggestions anyone of a great destination for summer 2008?

chinacat46
08-25-2007, 13:18
I think you should give Bonaire a try. Check out Buddy Dive.

Zenagirl
08-25-2007, 13:23
I just booked a stay/dive/drive package for Bonaire next summer. Think Bonaire is a grand idea for summer, 2008. :D

ertechsg
08-25-2007, 14:38
Can't ever go wrong with COZ

thesmoothdome
08-25-2007, 14:45
Come along with me to PNG :).

deepdiver47
08-25-2007, 15:27
head west young man, head west, SD has it right..go to Oceania.
To Palau where real men dive

georoc01
08-25-2007, 16:22

You mean like Cozumel last week? All the boats were dry docked! Such is the risk of the caribbean in the summertime.

SingleDivers.com is planning trips to all of your locations next year, you might want to check out that site which has threads on all of them.

ertechsg
08-25-2007, 17:10

You mean like Cozumel last week? All the boats were dry docked! Such is the risk of the caribbean in the summertime.

SingleDivers.com is planning trips to all of your locations next year, you might want to check out that site which has threads on all of them.Thats why you go in May besides its to hot in July and AUG

chinacat46
08-25-2007, 17:33

SingleDivers.com is planning trips to all of your locations next year, you might want to check out that site which has threads on all of them.

If I know Scott he will jump for joy when he reads about SingleDivers.com NOT.

Travelnsj
08-26-2007, 00:06
head west young man, head west, SD has it right..go to Oceania.
To Palau where real men dive

Palau in July?....I do not think so....Toooooo much surf action..LOL....late Feb thru May is the best time to go....Been there every year for the last 8 years...It is the best overall diving:smiley20:

Travelnsj
08-26-2007, 00:11

:smiley34:LOL...a few of those trips last year and this year were my idea....I really do not want to get into the details on this thread...BUT NO WAY would I dive with SD...(well maybe if she would give me a free trip to Wakatobi in 2008...I think Chuck and I gave her that idea)....LOL....she is still making money on my ideas!

Travelnsj
08-26-2007, 00:16

I could use a dive buddy!?....I am thinking July?

SHAGGY
08-26-2007, 07:09
I am thinking of doing a trip to Puerto Rico next year with my son. You can actually get some good online deals if flying out of Houston. I've never been there but have heard a few say that the diving there is really great

chinacat46
08-26-2007, 08:45

Scott I can't commit to July thats a long time away. I still have to figure out where I will dive in Feb/Mar. Plus I've heard(from you) that you are a real air hog and I don't have a 7' hose. Will we have to dive shallow or cut the dives short?

scubaguy4409
08-26-2007, 08:49
Ym two cents worth is Bonaire. I've had the please to dive other fantastis destinations but for some reason really enjoy Bonaire. It's very laid back shore and/or boats so you can dive whenever you desire. You will almost certainly find folks heading two at two in the afternoon or two in the morning just ask the dive shop operators.

As for places to stay I prefer the smaller places but must admit Buddy Dive is a great place as well. If like probalby everyone else on this site anyplace is a good place to be as long as it's in the water.

Travelnsj
08-26-2007, 10:15

Scott I can't commit to July thats a long time away. I still have to figure out where I will dive in Feb/Mar. Plus I've heard(from you) that you are a real air hog and I don't have a 7' hose. Will we have to dive shallow or cut the dives short?

No I'll could get a 100 tank....but if you are so good on air....we can reto fit your reg with a 7' hose and should still have plenty of bottom time:smiley20:

Go to Layang Layang in April!

chinacat46
08-26-2007, 10:36
I'm looking at someplace I can use some FF miles and I don't think Layang Layang will qualify. My miles are with United or the Star Alliance. I should be able to get to Phuket using them although I've found using them is not very easy to do. They rarely have seats available.

Travelnsj
08-26-2007, 10:51
I just booked a stay/dive/drive package for Bonaire next summer. Think Bonaire is a grand idea for summer, 2008. :D

Who are you diving with?....I'm thinking Buddy Dive....need a dive buddy?

Travelnsj
08-26-2007, 11:00
I'm looking at someplace I can use some FF miles and I don't think Layang Layang will qualify. My miles are with United or the Star Alliance. I should be able to get to Phuket using them although I've found using them is not very easy to do. They rarely have seats available.

Star Alliance should have flights to Singapore or Kuala Lumpur.....then your own flight to Kota Kinabalu.....I think Layang Layang may have a little better diving than Thailand....Just a thought.

chinacat46
08-26-2007, 12:43
I'll check into it but I'm kinda leaning towards Phuket and a liveaboard out of there. Might have to get a real job next year as well. This diving thing can get expensive.

Travelnsj
08-26-2007, 12:48
Chuck I understand....Layang Layang is kinda like that Raja-Indonesian style diving....low on your list of priority of dive locations...LOL....LOL...but I toooooo....need to get a job:smiley23:...perhaps after LL...oh hell after Bonaire!

Zenagirl
08-26-2007, 12:52

Who are you diving with?....I'm thinking Buddy Dive....need a dive buddy?

Booked with Den Laman and Bonaire Dive and Adventure. Sorry, my husband is my dive buddy...

namabiru
08-26-2007, 12:55

Star Alliance should have flights to Singapore or Kuala Lumpur.....then your own flight to Kota Kinabalu.....I think Layang Layang may have a little better diving than Thailand....Just a thought.

Yep :smiley20: If you can get to Bangkok, KL, or Singapore, and you check your baggage to make sure it's not overweight for this, you can get on Cheap Airlines to go to Kota Kinabalu. If memory serves me correctly, you can use Air Asia to go to Kota Kinabalu for pennies.

Word of advice, if you're looking to save-- if you can use Air Asia, you'd be better off flying into KL, as there's more flights. Singapore also has many, but the departure tax from Singapore is a lot more than from KL. In fact, I've known of people who go over the river from Singapore into Malaysia--Johor Bahru, fly Air Asia to KL, then from KL onwards. It's still cheaper than Singapore.

Hong Kong doesn't have so many budget airlines, although you can fly Air Asia from Macau, to Bangkok (I believe it's Bangkok).

But how about Philippines? I have a friend who goes every year. Puerto Gallera is very close to Manila, and convenient. There is a great dive resort at PG, called Sabang Inn. My highest recommendations for Sabang Inn.

If you could get to Japan, you can fly to Manila for cheap. Word of warning--Narita has highest departure tax in the country. Fly into Kansai, or Nagoya Chubu, or even Fukuoka, to connect. Fukuoka would be great if you're going to Bangkok or Singapore or KL. But Manila, though, you have to use Kansai or Narita. Dunno about Nagoya Chubu.

I'm sitting here talking about Japan because ANA is a Star Alliance member. Don't fly JAL, they're not so good. I like ANA though. JAL has problems with maintaining its airplane fleet. There have been a few domestic mishaps (engine pieces falling off). My office thought it hilarious that I refused to fly JAL, and even more so when I started calling them the "airplane accident airlines" in Japanese.

Travelnsj
08-26-2007, 13:02
Thanks for sharing that info on JAL....I'm flying LAX to Kuala Lumpur....on JAL:smiley5: