PDA

View Full Version : I get my tanks tomorrow!!

neogeo
05-29-2009, 00:11
I just bought doubled PST lp104 with Halcyon manifold and bands!

Now I can't wait to dive them!

navyhmc
05-29-2009, 05:31
Cool! Have fun and spend a bit of time at 20'doing vavle drills before goingthe the cabin cruiser. I have decided that's the first deep doubles dive you have to do at Oronogo. :smiley36:

The Great Kazoo
05-29-2009, 07:45
And practice. Your first dive with doubles. You will Turtle.

navyhmc
05-29-2009, 07:48

Now I feel like I missed something...I didn't turtle. :smiley19: My trim sucked, that was for sure! :smiley36:

The Great Kazoo
05-29-2009, 07:59
You didnt roll? I did . I turned my head to look around, and my body continued. It is common.

The Great Kazoo
05-29-2009, 08:00
With doubles my trim was better, even on the fist dive.

LiteHedded
05-29-2009, 08:10
not necessarily

The Great Kazoo
05-29-2009, 08:14
Let me change this before I start getting all these come backs. You MAY Turtle. I started with double 120s and did. Just once.

navyhmc
05-29-2009, 08:15
You didnt roll? I did . I turned my head to look around, and my body continued. It is common.

I came close, but didn't turn over. :smiley20:

UCFKnightDiver
05-29-2009, 08:17
I turtled once, but the gear wasnt sized to fit me so maybe that exacerbated the problem, since then, and with my own gear I havent had a problem.

neogeo
05-29-2009, 09:35
Well I've been diving doubled 108's. Haven't had any issues with turtling just trim.

btw navyhmc bought these tanks from Kevin Runkle, my few few dives in them will be with him.

neogeo
05-30-2009, 12:33
Finally got them!! He 02 cleaned them and filled them with 32%. He got half way here and relized he forgot to put the viz stickers on them... but he's bringing them June 6th when I dive with him.

in_cavediver
05-30-2009, 14:06
Finally got them!! He 02 cleaned them and filled them with 32%. He got half way here and relized he forgot to put the viz stickers on them... but he's bringing them June 6th when I dive with him.

Sweet tanks - look just like mine - vintage 2002. (even have the same manifold and bands)

I have had lots of great dives with mine. I hope you find the same great diving

navyhmc
05-30-2009, 22:23
Well I've been diving doubled 108's. Haven't had any issues with turtling just trim.

btw navyhmc bought these tanks from Kevin Runkle, my few few dives in them will be with him.

Kevin's a good teacher. My 119s were built by him too-look about the same. I've been pleased with them.:smiley20:

baywatch106
06-01-2009, 08:42
What's the average weight total for a setup with wing included? I't must be close to 100 lbs.

navyhmc
06-01-2009, 08:58
What's the average weight total for a setup with wing included? I't must be close to 100 lbs.

Depends on the set up. I have 119's doubled and with full tanks, the bands, manifold, Stainless Steel BP and wing, I would say I'm pushing 125-130 lbs when I hit the water. Bouyancy wise, I would say I'm about 20 lbs negative without thermal protection.

130's will add about 6 pounds, 104's will drop about 10 pounds-manufacturer dependant.

UCFKnightDiver
06-01-2009, 10:47
My gear weighs about 40-50 lbs, and the Tanks LP108's (including bands and manifold filled to 3600) weigh 110 lbs so I would say around 150 lbs

neogeo
06-01-2009, 15:15
Just the tanks along with my aluminum back plate weigh 120...
I weighed myself with and without them on... Without= 170
With= 294

These tanks are the same size as pst hp130's but DOT didn't approve them as hp tanks in the US. In Europe these tanks are 130's

cummings66
06-01-2009, 21:14
My first doubles were HP120's, loved them and found them to be very sweet diving. I've never turtled on accident. I did it once to show a friend what people meant by it, but to be honest I think as long as you pay attention to what's happening you'll be in control. It's like a drysuit, some go up feet first but many do not. It all depends on your "feel" of the situation. From my viewpoint, I doubt you will turtle. I've seen scads of new steel doubles divers and not one of them did that. Some of them have issues with buoyancy control at first, misjudging how much air to add to get neutral, but that comes very quickly.

As I understand the LP104's and HP130's, they are not the same cylinder, even though they measure almost the same when it comes to outside diameter, the interior volume is supposed to be different. At any rate, yes you can pump them up to 130 levels, and it's done quite often in fact, but they are not built to the same design specs. There is a very slight height difference as well.

Consider, your LP cylinder by itself is 46.4 lbs, the HP cylinder you refer to is 43 lbs and a tad shorter. So, if it's a bit lighter empty and a bit shorter then it's clearly not the same thing, by the book figures.

I think many mistakenly assume they are the same because they look that way to the eye, but the reality is they are not the same thing when you measure and weigh them. The argument is one often spoken of when LP guys say theirs are the same as HP and that's why it's OK to overfill, but then why is the LP cylinder heavier if it's the same thing?

Note, I'm not saying it's OK or not to overfill, only that the guy who said they are the same thing to you is wrong and the cylinder specs bear that out.

in_cavediver
06-01-2009, 21:23
Matt's right - LP and HP tanks aren't the same. They use differnet alloy/treatments to go to a different tensile strength.

Now - many have treat LP tanks as HP tanks and had long lifes from them. Just because the 3AA steels used in common cave tanks tolerate this abusive behaivor doesn't mean its the same metals. I know I am shortening the life of my tanks with every cave fill. I simply don't care - the dives are worth it and I own the gear. I also don't know the life span of the 3442 tanks. They are new enough that nobody really knows how they will hold up in the field. The 3AA tanks date back quite a ways so they do have a proven life span. Which is longer - don't know but I would guess a DOT treated 3AA steel is tops, then the 3442 and lastly the cave filled 3AA though the bottom 2 may not that far apart as some may see. (I have seen cave filled 112's with original hydro's in the early 80's still in use)

neogeo
06-02-2009, 00:22
I know the difference between hp and lp tanks. I was just stating that the lp104s I have are 130s in Europe but not in the US due to the DOT standards.