PDA

View Full Version : Classifieds

Beefcake
05-29-2009, 01:08
Alright, I'm a sucker for a good deal, so I love classified advertising. I read pretty much everything posted on the used gear for sale page. Anyway, something hit me a couple of weeks ago that has been stuck in my mind... there was a guy with like one post that had 3-4 ads on the classifieds, and this just struck me wrong. I'd be happy to buy something from Matt or HeavyD or just about any of the regular posters on here because I almost feel that I know you, but I'm not sure I want to buy used equipment from someone that only signed up to sell his crap. I'm not meaning to call out anyone in particular; rather, I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense to say that you can't post equipment for sale without a minimum number of contributing posts. Just throwing out an idea... What do you think?:smilie40:

rawalker
05-29-2009, 03:36
I think you have made a reasonable assumption in reading the ads. People who are here regularly and contribute to our forums probably wouldn't consider doing anything that would negatively impact another member or their own status in the community.
The classified poster that hasn't invested in the community probably doesn't feel they have anything to lose.
What really ticks me off are the ones that try to sell second hand items at nearly the same price as the same item new with a warranty.

navyhmc
05-29-2009, 05:58
I do wonder a bit when someone's first posts are in the WTS section. Brings up the Caveat Emptor to the max. What maeks it worse is when their next posts are in other threads trying to convince someone to buy the gear they just posted. It also gets intersting when they give different prices in different posts.

Another pet peeve of mine is when someone posts an e-bay auction here.

I will say that the things I have bought in the WTS section have been either exactly as advertised or better.

cruzan
05-30-2009, 05:22
I do wonder a bit when someone's first posts are in the WTS section. Brings up the Caveat Emptor to the max. What makes it worse is when their next posts are in other threads trying to convince someone to buy the gear they just posted. It also gets interesting when they give different prices in different posts.

I will say that the things I have bought in the WTS section have been either exactly as advertised or better.

While I agree with everything that you've said above, especially the first portion. Where would be a better place to list your equipment, than a dive site.

The part that gets to me is when you get the hard sell from that point on.

bennerman
05-31-2009, 15:42
Found one of them, is it rude/against the rules to link to it?

navyhmc
05-31-2009, 16:48
I do wonder a bit when someone's first posts are in the WTS section. Brings up the Caveat Emptor to the max. What makes it worse is when their next posts are in other threads trying to convince someone to buy the gear they just posted. It also gets interesting when they give different prices in different posts.

While I agree with everything that you've said above, especially the first portion. Where would be a better place to list your equipment, than a dive site.

The part that gets to me is when you get the hard sell from that point on.

I have no problem at all with the selling of used gear (even though no one bought my Beauchat VS-8 DIN when I put it up for sale :smiley19: :smiley36: ) But I wonder about a new poster who's first post is "Buy my gear". I just think you should stop by, say hello, get to know the folks and then try to sell off your extra gear. Call me old fashioned... :smiley36:

Splitlip
05-31-2009, 17:37
Alright, I'm a sucker for a good deal, so I love classified advertising. I read pretty much everything posted on the used gear for sale page. Anyway, something hit me a couple of weeks ago that has been stuck in my mind... there was a guy with like one post that had 3-4 ads on the classifieds, and this just struck me wrong. I'd be happy to buy something from Matt or HeavyD or just about any of the regular posters on here because I almost feel that I know you, but I'm not sure I want to buy used equipment from someone that only signed up to sell his crap. I'm not meaning to call out anyone in particular; rather, I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense to say that you can't post equipment for sale without a minimum number of contributing posts. Just throwing out an idea... What do you think?:smilie40:
Beef. (Gawd it's tough for me to adress another guy as Beefcake).

It bugs the crap out of me when someone comes into this community forum or others just to sell something. I too feel pretty good purchasing from somebody I "know". But..."caveat emptor"....

navyhmc
05-31-2009, 17:41
The other advantage of buying from someone who's been around a while is you get ot have more scuba related converstations when the PM you late asking how the gear is working for you. Another bonus!

LaCroix42
05-31-2009, 18:19
What really ticks me off are the ones that try to sell second hand items at nearly the same price as the same item new with a warranty.

Blaze and I had been looking at getting gear for her, and a second reg set for me. This included looking through the eeeeevil CraigsList. I found two ads that had gear interesting to me, one was exactly as you said, used for the price of new.

The other got into my e-mail blacklist rather quickly when he posted he won an IRS tax auction on an LDS. He had in his post that he had "Zeagle, Mares, Aeris, Atomic and more. Too many to post, e-mail for prices." Warning bells/BS detector went on when I sent him a simple e-mail saying I'm curious, and interested in the Mares and Atomic gear. His response? What specifically are you interested in?

Umm, no. Sounded to me like this putz was buying from LP or worse and turning around to resell to some sucker on CL. C'est la vie, caveat emptor.

bennerman
05-31-2009, 18:33
Plus if you buy from someone who has been here a while, you might be able to obtain their location... then you can come after them if they screw you over... :)

Coastie6
05-31-2009, 21:32
Don't disagree, just coming to the forum to sell stuff seems counter to the forum's intent. But as has been said caveat emptor.

Just yesterday I hooked up a relative with a great WTS deal on the forum. The seller was someone established on the site since 2007 and while I don't know him, I did review his profile and felt comfortable putting the two of them together. I would not have done this with someone that was posting for the first time.

nrembis
05-31-2009, 22:30
I like the classifieds, I also like the auctions :) I have sold I think 2 items on here and given an octo away. One of my items I sold was sold to reactive and something happened during shipping, not quite sure what happened whether it was shipping error on my part with addressing or US mails fault, but when I found out I immediately refunded reactives money and told him to pay it back when the item showed up, needless to say I got the item back from us mail after about a month and a half or so in a diferent package, so never did find out what really happened. Im just glad I did what I did and refunded him and said just pay me back if and when the item shows up, I wasnt trying to burn no one and Im glad he had enough faith in me to realize I wasn't......my other item was a new GT3 I sold to Largo, sale went off without a hitch and Ive talked to him since to find out how its been working for him, eveything went great!

Im not a big fan of ebay, especially since I am the one who made ScubaBidz - Online Scuba Gear Auctions! (http://www.scubabidz.com) LOL, maybe one day it will be used instead of ebay for scuba items and will save folks on all the listing fees :) new or used.

Im not here to pawn my website off and spam the board, I enjoy it here and learn quite a bit and also offer up my experience for what its worth.

bennerman
05-31-2009, 22:33
Im not here to pawn my website off and spam the board

yes you are! SPAM ALERT! :smilie39::smiley20:

bennerman
06-01-2009, 14:45
Please, PLEASE let me post a link to a 0-poster selling things!

cruzan
06-01-2009, 17:47
If it's who I think they've been reported already.

Foo2
06-02-2009, 07:58

Reporting a 0-poster selling things is a waste of time. As of right now, it is not against the forum rules.

chilly willy
06-02-2009, 09:04

Reporting a 0-poster selling things is a waste of time. As of right now, it is not against the forum rules.

Getting back to the OP's thoughts, I think it might be in line to require a mininum number of posts before they can offer something for sale.

UofTOrange
06-05-2009, 13:21

Getting back to the OP's thoughts, I think it might be in line to require a mininum number of posts before they can offer something for sale.

I'm pretty new here, but some people could post in lots of places, scubaboard for example and the reason to come over would be because of the for sale forum. The reason to stay could be how we treat them during and after that.

I agree, you have to be careful, but I'm sure there are legit people selling that just want another outlet for their gear.

gNats
06-05-2009, 13:32
Wow. I feel completely different on this topic.

Where else but a diving forum to list equipment you no longer need?

I really don't care if the person has 2, 20, or 200 posts. Because someone has 520 posts I should trust him or her more? Or, are you only willing to buy from people you feel you have struck a friendship up with?

I don't mind that someone is cleaning out their garage and does a Google search and finds the forum. That is how I found the forum. Looking for information on a trip I was taking.

As to unrealistic pricing or trying the hard sell, that is also pretty common in our society. We all think our junk is more valuable than someone elses, and frankly, with the economy, trying to get another $100 for a regulator that is 10 yrs old is probably driven by the need to make a car payment to get to and from work.

Sorry Beef and et al. I think you guys are being too harsh. People are people. Some are delusional about today's fair market value and we just have to suffer those fools. Others are desperate to get every dime to pay for other necessities. And, some are just cheap. And, some are thankful to have found ST and a way to sell their gear.

As the buyer, it really is our job to determine if the item is priced fairly and to qualify its quality. And that includes verifying that there will be a refund policy if the item is not received in the condition expected.

gNats
06-05-2009, 13:34

Really? Why? Does a minimum number of posts make the seller any more honest? Does it make their used gear more valuable? Does it make the pricing more reasonable?

Where do you want them to post? Do you really want a person who hasn't dove in 5 yrs to start posting in the Tec Forum because they are trying to sell gear?

Won't *that* plan just encourage idiotic posts to generate a magic number?

gNats
06-05-2009, 13:40
Don't disagree, just coming to the forum to sell stuff seems counter to the forum's intent. But as has been said caveat emptor.

Just yesterday I hooked up a relative with a great WTS deal on the forum. The seller was someone established on the site since 2007 and while I don't know him, I did review his profile and felt comfortable putting the two of them together. I would not have done this with someone that was posting for the first time.

So, you have never bought a used car from a private seller have you? Or anything else as a matter of fact.

How could you? I mean, if you saw a car for sale, based on what you said, how would you qualify the person as someone you could trust to buy a vehicle from? By the number of cars they own? Or how many they have sold in the past? The organizations they belong to?

Sorry, not picking on you, but this is really an interesting thread. Just because someone took the time to complete the profile page and has been on the forum since 2007 gave you confidence to recommend him/her for a retail transaction.

That 2007 member could be a complete scuba diving poser. I can go into the profile page right now and throw in enough key words to make even me impressive.

I'm just really surprised at the majority vote on this topic. I wouldn't have guessed it in a million years.

cummings66
06-05-2009, 14:08
I think that numbers don't mean anything, ratings don't mean anything. What makes a person trustworthy is how they deal with people. You can't get that from reading their own brag pages.

I myself tend to trust people unless something strikes me as off, and I do have a good sense of whom to trust due to the business I'm in. I deal with the public every single day and see all kinds of people there, rarely get taken in.

So, I don't much care.

chilly willy
06-05-2009, 14:30

Really? Why? Does a minimum number of posts make the seller any more honest? Does it make their used gear more valuable? Does it make the pricing more reasonable?

Where do you want them to post? Do you really want a person who hasn't dove in 5 yrs to start posting in the Tec Forum because they are trying to sell gear?

Won't *that* plan just encourage idiotic posts to generate a magic number?
All valid points, especially the idiotic post idea. I was thinking that it might filter some of the BS items out and maybe some of the overseas companies that aren't interested in anything other than selling substandard junk.

Beefcake
06-05-2009, 22:49
gNats- Sorry if my topic hit you wrong. After reading my original post, I used stronger wording than was probably warranted. I am still new here, and I was really just throwing out an idea. I don't care much if the system changes or stays the same; for some reason, it just struck me as odd to see people with no posts having a bunch of stuff on the classifieds.

WaScubaDude
06-06-2009, 12:44
If it hasn't been mentioned. If the stuff for sale was close enough I could go and see it, no problem. If I had to mail money or paypal, I wouldn't until the gear was in my hands. So in that way one can gain protection against being ripped off by a new poster. :smiley11:

My bigger issue with w 0 poster or very new poster is when they hardily endorse a dive op or resort or what ever. Most often they have a vested interest in promoting said business. If they were for real their first many posts would be questions or comments per usual on this site. :smiley11::smiley11::smiley11:

Coastie6
06-06-2009, 17:00

So, you have never bought a used car from a private seller have you? Or anything else as a matter of fact.

How could you? I mean, if you saw a car for sale, based on what you said, how would you qualify the person as someone you could trust to buy a vehicle from? By the number of cars they own? Or how many they have sold in the past? The organizations they belong to?

Sorry, not picking on you, but this is really an interesting thread. Just because someone took the time to complete the profile page and has been on the forum since 2007 gave you confidence to recommend him/her for a retail transaction.

That 2007 member could be a complete scuba diving poser. I can go into the profile page right now and throw in enough key words to make even me impressive.

I'm just really surprised at the majority vote on this topic. I wouldn't have guessed it in a million years.

Well, don't think you're picking on me at all, this is a good exchange of ideas and opionions. The key message of my post was caveat emptor.

I felt comfortable with Jim, we exchanged several e-mails, he sent me numerous detailed photos. Does this mean I wouldn't ever buy from a 0 poster, no. Yes, I placed a bit of trust in the fact he's been here since 2007 (I looked at a lot of his posts). Could the fact that his profile had him as a more experienced middle age diver been BS, yep, but sometimes you got to go with your gut.

Working in Federal Law Enforcement, there are few people more untrusting than me. But after my exchanges with Jim I felt I could trust what he said, so much so, in fact, that we processed the PayPal payment prior to shipping. As promised, Jim e-mailed the shipper tracking number the next day,and the gear was as good or better than described in just 3-days. My family member and I were so happy that I posted kudos to Jim on the forum http://forum.scubatoys.com/job-well-done/24031-thanks-jbres1.html.

So on this one I was spot on. Might that always be the case, perhaps not, but like I said, I try to do my homework and ultimately, the discussion of who I decide to do business with and it's repercussions rest with me. Caveat emptor.