PDA

View Full Version : Another local fish

ColdPass
05-30-2009, 08:03
After seeing lots of bluegill, bass, some gizzard shad, I came across this fellow. I've figured out what he is by some good old internet searching, but figured I'd see if you guys knew what he is off the top of your head. Freshwater, Texas lake south of Houston.
I had to take the shot with the flash, so the coloration isn't quite right. He's deep blue, and the spots are more brilliant than the picture depicts.

okiediver72
05-30-2009, 11:10
Some sort of Cichlid maybe? Or perhaps a Tilapia? Just guessing. I'm not too familiar with Texas fishes though. If I saw it here I would guess that it's an import from someones aquarium.

wwdiver
05-30-2009, 22:27
I'm gonna go with Rio Grande Perch aka "Texas Cichlid"

navyhmc
05-30-2009, 22:30
I'm going to vote Rio Grande Chiclid as well.

cruzan
05-31-2009, 06:00
Looked him up on the internet Texas Chilid/Rio Grande Perch. The last couple of lines of the site were interesting. " ...strong fighter. considered good table fare."

Are we going to start trading recipes again?

navyhmc
05-31-2009, 06:26
Looked him up on the internet Texas Chilid/Rio Grande Perch. The last couple of lines of the site were interesting. " ...strong fighter. considered good table fare."

My only real good recipe that I can lay claim to is my Shrimp Creole, but if need be, I will resurrect it in another thread, just say the word. :smiley20:

cruzan
05-31-2009, 08:13

My only real good recipe that I can lay claim to is my Shrimp Creole, but if need be, I will resurrect it in another thread, just say the word. :smiley20:

:smiley20:Word man word.

ColdPass
05-31-2009, 12:53
Yup. Rio Grande Cichlid. That's not the best picture, of course, as it was getting dark. I was just out and saw a few more of them, along with some decent sized bass (and lots of bluegill) but I didn't bring the camera with me this time.