PDA

View Full Version : hernia surgery and diving

jugglematt
05-30-2009, 22:03
Hi Guys
i have recently had lapriscopic surgery for a triple hernia ,the surgery was peformed 2 weeks ago and i was told to not dive for 4 weeks. im healing up ok so far , but am still having some pain at times, not using any painkillers now .
im slowley building my self up a bit each day and doing short walks .
is there anyone out there with experience with repaired hernias and diving , who could offer any advice or comments .

most of my diving is boat diving in Temperate water . so im using a weight intergrated BC with 16lb and a steel tank , doing Photography,
i was thinking for my first dives i would take it easy and get others to do my lifting and just see how it goes.

any comments
Thanks
Matt

cruzan
05-30-2009, 22:25
Although you may be technically healed in4 weeks ir may take several months to regain full use of all the muscles. Take it easy but try to do as much of the work yourself you'll regain your strength faster that way.

DevilDiver
05-30-2009, 22:37
Matt,

Sorry to hear about the hernia, take it slow and easy. Not worth over doing it and having to go through all that again.

Slow and easy and it's all good.........

-DD

navyhmc
05-30-2009, 22:40
Even though you CAN dive in four weeks, make sure you are fully up to it before setting out on your first dive. Even though you can have others do your lifting for you-I'm guessing that you intend to have someone hand you an inflated tank/BC rig after you're in the water. be sure you have been cleared by your doctor to actually carry/lift the weight of your set up. Things can happend where you find you will need to carry the full weight and then you can re-injure yourself to the point that instead of 2 months to fully heal, you find it's now going to be 4-5 months.

Having to wait a few extra weeks to dive again will suck, but not being able to dive for additional months due to re-injury sucks more.

I had a friend that went through a single hernia operation that took a goods two months to heal enough for him to dive.

Make sure your Dr. knows your desire to start diving again and see what exercising you can do to strengthen muscles to where your first dives will not be as bad.

Coastie6
05-30-2009, 23:18
Had an inguinal hernia repair about 8-years ago. My advice, take it slow. Your doctor will have his recommended recovery timeline, use that as a guide, but your body will let you know when it's ready. Mine was traditional not lapriscopic so I got mesh, and I told the surgeon to do it up right and make it strong. I think that and the traditional incision gave me about a 4-month full dive ready recovery. The lapriscopic proceedure is lower impact however, but I'd still go easy.

Good luck! :smiley20:

jugglematt
06-01-2009, 03:17
Thanks Guys
your advice confirms what i was thinking , just take it easy , and if im not happy stay out of the water a little longer.

i guess ill just spend some more weekends sorting through my photos

Regards
Matty

UofTOrange
06-02-2009, 14:06
I had an inguinal hernia in mid March. I'm still recovering to some extent (it gets sore). I was told 6 weeks to even lift something. It took me until 3 weeks ago to go diving again. It wasn't that I couldn't do diving, it was because you'll be surprised how fast your stamina goes away. I am still struggling in the gym a bit to get back to what I was before the surgery.

jugglematt
06-30-2009, 06:03
Hi All
i thought i would post a bit of an update,
it has been just over 6 weeks since my OP . Keyhole surgery on a triple hernia.

i really do understand that it a slow road to recovery, for the first month i was off work and pretty much stayed at home rested and did some light walking , gradually increasing over time.

back at work after 4 weeks on light duties and back in the water after 6 weeks , got help during my diving with heavy lifting and generally was carefull about not overdoing it .

i think it will be MONTHS before im 100% , i feel about 70% of my old self , but one thing i notice is the loss of muscle strength and fitness from having a month of resting.

im slowley building myself up .

i really enjoyed getting in the water again , the feeling of freedom was great , we went out in my boat and had whales breaching in front of the boat , and numerous sightings , wow , then did a dive at our local seal colony , what a great day to get back in the water.

Regards
Matt

navyhmc
06-30-2009, 16:15
Glad to know you're better and back in the water jugglematt! Thanks for updating us.

UofTOrange
07-01-2009, 16:02
Matt,
It was March 15th that I had mine and it was about a week ago that I started feeling like I was at full strength. It comes back quickly once it decides to come back

caburrid
07-11-2009, 23:01
My husband had double hernia surgery last year. He found that while he was able to get up and moving pretty good within a few days, it took him a long while to get back into the swing of things. In that time he put on a bit of extra weight and has found it hard to get back into the rhythm of exercise. It really put a crimp into our diving education plans.

Jack Hammer
07-12-2009, 07:32
Take your time, rushing will likely make things worse in the long run. I went mountain biking two weeks after my hernia surgery and spent the next 6-7 months with a burning type sensation in the area. It had been fine for ~week and a half prior. I figured since it felt fine a light ride would be ok, I was wrong.

I'm pretty sure I made it worse by being stupid. Wait an extra couple of weeks even if it feels good, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Jack

UofTOrange
07-14-2009, 14:12
I'm fully up and running now. I don't notice it at all. Working out and running has not been an issue, nor has diving.

jugglematt
08-30-2009, 23:42
Hernia Update
thought i might let u guys how im progressing
well its been about 3 and a half months since my triple hernia Repair,

i had a time there when i thought it was not going to get much better , kinda plateaued , but now im gradually improving again , only having discomfort some times , and gradually feeling stronger .

im back to full duties at work , and back to my regular diving , but now days i think even more before i do any physical work/ lifting .
if i have to move tanks or tubs of dive gear from the boat to my shed i use a trolley ive got for the purpose, i now refuse to lift made up tanks with gear attached onto my boat , i ask my dive buddys to lift their own tanks , or even better pass their gear into the boat separately and set up the gear in the boat.
if tanks need to be shifted around the boat instead of me doing it myself , ill ask people to lug their own tanks around .

my advice , be careful and dont overdo it , hernias can be repaired , but its a fairly painful operation and recovery , try and avoid getting one in the first place .
don't be afraid to say that's too heavy to lift , and get help

Regards
Matty

navyhmc
08-31-2009, 06:12
Glad to know things are getting better JM! Hope things continue on the right path. Keep taking it easy and milk it for all it's worth for another couple of months (or until they catch on on you're healed...)