PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Linux

ScubaToys Larry
08-24-2007, 18:40
Some folks have asked why we are switching off our Windows server to linux.

This scuba incident inspired it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNqPTOb31S8

cummings66
08-24-2007, 19:06
I loved it. I'm saving that one for work.

I've been using Linux since the .8 something or other days of it, started when you had to make everything from scratch. Talk about an install hassle. It was fun and I used it in Ham Radio as a gateway to the rest of the world.

I also used SCO Unix, Solaris, SunOS, and Irix. They were all nice, but Linux was the best bang for the buck. Hardware wise the old Sun servers were a real powerful workhorse and were tough as nails. I use Microsoft OS's but they have never been as reliable as a good OS like any of the Unix, AmigaDos, MacOS or OSX IMO.

Linux rules for me, and the commercial is hilarious.

finflippers
08-24-2007, 19:26
That was good.:smilie39:

TxHockeyGuy
08-24-2007, 20:30
Am I the only one who noticed that the very first time we see the diver his regulator hoses are backwards and then corrected later? It looks like they reversed the scene.

greyzen
08-24-2007, 20:33
Yay linux.

I grew up on UNIX, started using windows with XP for corporate 'unity'.

I miss my kernel config :(

cgvmer
08-24-2007, 20:37
I spend my day evangalizing the use of linux on what else...but mainframes....I have a linux desktop and a dual bootable linux/winxp laptop

ScaredSilly
08-24-2007, 21:15
Been on unix and the real "Windows" for 20 years. Now using lunix and OS X.

mike_s
08-24-2007, 21:23
I've been a 'unix nerd' for many years.

I even worked for one of the larger Unix manufacturers for many years.

I can't see why anyone would want to depend on Windows machines to run anything in a server environment.

As for Linux, the large unix company that I worked for is now pretty much converting all it's products exclusively to linux. The word's just turning that way.

chinacat46
08-24-2007, 21:24
Good one. Always love it when they give Mr. Softee a hard time.

mwhities
08-24-2007, 21:28
I guess none of you non-geeks know anything about FreeBSD. :)

FreeBSD > *

Michael

scuba Widow
08-24-2007, 21:36
That was funny

Flatliner
08-24-2007, 22:16
LOL, I my brother is a system admin. I have to send that link to him.

cummings66
08-25-2007, 06:36

Yes, I've used it as well and it's the kernel upon which OS/X is built from what I understand.

I personally didn't care for it as much as I did Linux. I prefer the Gentoo linux distribution, it's more in line with where my heart is which is tinkering at the source level with stuff.

porsche060
08-25-2007, 07:37
Windows is still the best

gtjason2000
08-25-2007, 07:51
That was hilarious! At work everything is on linux.

greyzen
08-25-2007, 10:04
mwhities, I've been on FreeBSD since kernel 2.1 :P~

I love me some FreeBSD but unfortunately working for corporations you tend to use less UNIX as you move more into sales and management :)

greyzen
08-25-2007, 10:12

Yes, I've used it as well and it's the kernel upon which OS/X is built from what I understand.

I personally didn't care for it as much as I did Linux. I prefer the Gentoo linux distribution, it's more in line with where my heart is which is tinkering at the source level with stuff.

Yeah, OSX was built off an older version of the FreeBSD kernel (THey are up to 5.x but OSX was 3.5x(I think))

They have modified the core a crazy amount for hot swapping the gear/etc.
and frankly, with 5.x's they completely rebuilt most of the core. Basically OSX would have been pushed out by like two years if they tried to update to the latest 5.x core.

Vercingetorix
08-25-2007, 10:28
Being the in the IT industry for nearly 40 years, I've been a Linux advocate for a couple decades. When the market was trying to decide: Windows or MacOS, I wish it had gone to Linux/Unix. So much more robust.

pnevai
08-25-2007, 11:00
Sun OS, Solaris, HP-UX, TACL, LINUX Been there done that. Windows from 2000 up is my pick.

greyzen
08-25-2007, 11:12
Well, I think that it really depends on what your market is.
For example, the ramp-time on Windows/MacOS is much much less and frankly
people who are paid to think about non-IT related stuff (for example, sales people, marketting, etc.) using a thinkfree OS is really a better ticket.

As a business professional I don't see a value add in spending six months ramping my sales reps up on how to login/reconfigure/troubleshoot their OS just because they have to 'make world'. NOw granted you could pay an IT admin to build out a corporate image but with the low level configuration difference (IE: change the sound card and your looking at loading another snd_mod which means a new kernel remake) I don't think it is as cost-effective for a mass rollout. (IE: 100+ new employee machines deployed per job site quarterly)

Now, for a high end end-user (Admins, developers, "geeks") I honestly believe that the core backbone of any corporation can benefit from partnering with a CISCO/UNIX/SUN environment. Granted it is not as cost-effective in some cases, but in the long run you will have fewer issues and greater uptime/productivity per your dollar spent.

I honestly think that all the OS's have their place in the market... like scuba gear it really depends on WHAT you are going to be doing, nd using the right tools for the job.

RECDiver
08-25-2007, 16:11
You will be MUCH happier with Linux.

gtjason2000
08-25-2007, 17:17
our linux machines at work have far more games than the desktops with windows

mike_s
08-26-2007, 17:24
No mention of IRIX or UNICOS anywhere here?

(oh well... IRIX & Unicos are dead essentially anyway).

cgvmer
08-26-2007, 21:47
For all you window people start yourself off by getting rid of Internet Explorer replace with Firefox, remove MS (word, excel, powerpoint) by moving to Openoffice.
Look at other programs you use and find an open-source solution like those above, the first thing this buys you is the cost of these items. The second thing this buys you is removal of all excuses why you don't want to go to linux. You look at the new Novell linux desktop 10, and it is better looking than Vista and definetly more stable.

the gooch
08-26-2007, 23:27
BTW love linux, open office and FireFox is THE only browser i will ever use....