PDA

View Full Version : What is it about diving that you love?

JugglingMonkeys
08-24-2007, 18:42
So... why do you do this?

what is it about diving that you love?

the weightlessness... the quiet... the rich diversity of life around you... being able to go to exotic places with a purpose... the fun with friends... the ST forum...?

Osprey
08-24-2007, 19:05
Getting away from traffic...

LOL

finflippers
08-24-2007, 19:08
Here is an article I wrote a while back that I think explains diving for me.

One of my favorite pastimes is to go scuba diving. I learned to scuba dive in 1996 receiving my open water certification through “NAUI” later receiving my advanced certification through “PADI” and my nitrox certification through ”SSI”

The feeling you get when you put on the tanks, strap on your mask, and buckle up your fins just waiting your turn to step off the boat is exciting. Your heart starts pounding with anticipation as you are going over you dive plans in your head. Did I forget anything? You are asking your self as you are rechecking your gear.

Finally you step off the boat and into the water as your head bobs under the water and back to the surface you turn and signal the boat you are okay and meet up with your buddy. You and your buddy do a final check on yours and his equipment before heading into your dive.
You slowly descend to the bottom where you come across some of the most colorful reefs you have ever seen. Then out of nowhere you see some beautiful fish that acts like you are in a zoo and swims all around you checking you out trying to figure out what kind of fish you are.

You realize that you are 60’ under the ocean with 100’ visibility you and your buddy seem to be the only humans in the whole ocean, completely weightless, you realize the worries of the world and every thing that had been bothering you is not even there. You have completely forgotten the whole world you left behind when you dropped into paradise.

You continue your dive as you and your buddy glide effortlessly over the reefs pointing out all the fish to each other and checking out all the different animals you encounter maybe even seeing a curious shark or two that don’t even act like they notice you.

Then comes the part of the dive you have dreaded long before you ever got into the water. With great sadness you signal your buddy to slowly head to the surface to return to the world you left behind. Once back on the boat you put up your gear and already start dreaming of the next time you get to know real peace.

If you have never experienced scuba diving I strongly recommend giving it a try you will be glad you did…

Writen by: Brent Wilson

Charles R
08-24-2007, 19:09
The clam that comes over me when Im down and nothing else matters except for what is there and my buddy

3rdEye
08-24-2007, 19:27
all that stuff.....and it's a challenge, you get to see some things in person many will never see....you get to be close to some incredible animals....it's like going to another planet.....another world

dallasdivergirl
08-24-2007, 19:36
the peace, the beauty, the life, weightlessness and feeling like flying.

chinacat46
08-24-2007, 19:41
Gosh I love it all.

subsur
08-24-2007, 20:33
the calmness, beauty and surreal feel of the sourrounding

ertechsg
08-24-2007, 20:38
The quite , the life below the surface just the beauty of it all

PlatypusMan
08-24-2007, 20:49
The clam that comes over me when Im down and nothing else matters except for what is there and my buddy

The clam that comes over you?

Kiiiiiinky!

ertechsg
08-24-2007, 20:55

The clam that comes over you?

Kiiiiiinky!:smilie39: nice catch

cummings66
08-24-2007, 21:14
I like Scuba Diving because there is more left to learn about it. Because I'm kind of a geek at heart and like to tinker with stuff I dive to learn perfection more than anything else. I try to find some aspect of my diving I don't like and then fix it. Then it's time to move on to the next problem.

Along the way seeing things is fine, but that's not why I dive. I dive to learn and grow in experience.

Splitlip
08-24-2007, 21:21
The clam that comes over me when Im down and nothing else matters
I hear you brother!

Here's the clam:
:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/86/Giant_clam.jpg/250px-Giant_clam.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Giant_clam.jpg)

And my poem:

Sabre-toothed bi-valves patrolling the plains
Selecting our gene pool while chewing on brains.
Nature is perilous: danger's at hand!
The ravenous man-eating Pliocene clam.

Oysters and scallops---all pelecypod
Bow in submission to Mighty Quahog.
Nature's in balance, there's danger to man:
The ravenous man-eating Pliocene clam.

The larval soft body! That ligament scar!
The unique pteroid bivalve a wonder to all.
When the new pelecypod did struggle to land,
It was the end of the man-eating Pliocene clam.

dmdoss
08-24-2007, 22:01
The feeling of flying, floating, and its easier to dispose of bodies.:smiley36:

Phestr
08-24-2007, 22:10
The feeling of flying, floating, and its easier to dispose of bodies.:smiley36:

Amen, brother. It's so relaxing, being absolutely weightless. Bodies...I don't know what you're talkin about, I was never here...

I'm just looking for that clam!:smilie39:

picxie
08-25-2007, 02:07
I'm big on animals and environmental issues. For me, scuba diving allows me to go into their world, to observe them in their natural environment. Apart from my buddy, it's just me and them. I love that it's so quiet and (usually!) relaxing, no human interference (again, usually!).

You can go to a forest and do a bush walk and you are bound to see other humans ... they might be smoking, littering, contributing to noise pollution, or just being there. It's still a human environment. Under the water, you don't get that - it's their environment and you have to respect that.

Some of my best memories are under water. I love interacting (at their initiation) with the fish. I think my best memory is with a Sandagers Wrasse who decided to follow me around, he had a fascination with staring into my mask (I got told later on he was looking at his reflection, so I guess he wasn't as infatuated with me as I thought!). At one point we just circled each other - me turning in circles as fast as I could (on the spot) go and him following me and staring at my mask. Then it was a game of who could out race who, and if I could catch him out by quickly going the other way (he was pretty good with his reaction times!). I did end up getting rather dizzy on that dive.

Then you get the schools of fish that end up swimming right around you, so you are just surrounded by fish. Wow.

Or the times that you stare up from the bottom of the ocean to see the sun shining down and the fish swimming above you. Times like these I wish I had a camera, although I'm sure it wouldn't capture the moment properly.

There's just so much to see. From the little itty bitty fish that you usually miss, to the great big fish that make your heart race. It's all good.

I hate getting ready for a dive, I hate just about everything about it. Getting into a wetsuit, putting contacts in, getting gear on and all that weight. Ick. But it's all worth it.

Zenagirl
08-25-2007, 06:56
Everything about diving is both exhilerating and relaxing all at the same time, and since we travel to dive, going somewhere warm and tropical for surface intervals is just icing on the cake.

creggur
08-25-2007, 10:53
The sound of the bubble's leaving the regulator, it's the most calming thing ever....
The view, it just can't be beat..

It's something that my wife and I can do together. We're both pretty competitive so most sports don't work for us (golf etc..). With this we've learned together, and it gives us a chance to work together on something new. Since we have the same experience level neither one of us is trying to "manage" the other. We hope to be able to share this with our child someday..diving family:smiley20:

greyzen
08-25-2007, 11:17
I love the water...

Since I was a small kid I have been mesmerized by the ocean/rivers and lakes. Personally I think I would be happier living underwater than I have ever been over it.

Diving gives me a glimpse of peace and harmony :)

lucidblue
08-25-2007, 11:35
For me diving is magical. I always loved going to the aquarium and having one at home (The Snorks was one of my favorite cartoons.. lol). Watching the fish swim around was so peaceful. When I finally learned to dive and went to Cozumel, it was truly amazing. As you descend you're surrounded by clear blue water and can see for 100+ feet. Then suddenly you're floating over the reef and drifting in the current. There is beauty no matter where you look and you can't believe you are really there, in a place you've only imagined. I love the quiet and peacefulness of being weightless and watching the fish dance around the reef. Then there are all the colors of the fish and coral. Diving means a life of tropical and exotic travel and it's something you can do forever, unlike many other activities. And the icing on the cake... since my dive buddy is my bf, I get to share this paradise with someone I love. It's almost like everything we see and experience on each dive is our little secret. It's definitely a bonding experience and you get to learn and improve together.

Capt Hook
08-25-2007, 11:41
Life is too fast now-a-days; diving allows me to forget all that and relax.

DivingsInMyBlood
08-25-2007, 11:44
for me its going and exploring where most people wont.

hoop
08-25-2007, 17:57
See Jerry Garcia quote below......

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 18:04
Everything goes away. All my problems or stresses are gone.

AqueousSapien
08-26-2007, 14:32
The peace and quiet, as well as the feeling of effortlessly floating through the water.

scubasavvy
08-26-2007, 14:34
Nobody can talk to me or call me...it's wonderful...

quarrydiver
08-26-2007, 14:37
being able to see what so few others can.

diverdad
08-26-2007, 14:49
for me it is leaving every thing bad behind me and returning to heaven. that is the closest i can come to explaining the feelings i have when diving.

gtjason2000
08-26-2007, 16:21
It's all about the animals. Specifically larger animals from turtles to whale sharks.

Splitlip
08-26-2007, 20:46
Don't forget the giant clams.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/86/Giant_clam.jpg/250px-Giant_clam.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Giant_clam.jpg)

scootermcfly
08-26-2007, 20:54
I think it is the unique opportunity to be able to go places that not evey will have a chance to go. The ability to experience so much different life is just amazing and allows me to learn so much.

Scooter McFly

skippy11
08-26-2007, 23:00
for me....the beauty of the underwater life..a world that only divers are able to get close to (or in the middle of). I went w/ my family on a snorkal tour the day after i had done my first dive. We saw amazing things, but it didn't even compare to what I was able to see and come w/in a few feet of underwater.