PDA

View Full Version : I have a few ?'s about NAUI

mrmccoy
05-31-2009, 23:00
I have decided to go with NAUI for my OW cert. but i have a few questions. Is there an actual written test or is it all skills type test? I'm doing the entire class in 4 days well actully about 3 1/2 days with the dive shops home study program. I work nights in a machine shop so I have been studying all week at work :smiley36:. I have a grasp on just about everything in the book with the exception of a few dive table questions that are worded kinda funny. my main question is about the written test because i'm horrible at written test.

Rileybri
05-31-2009, 23:27
yes there is a 100 (think it was 100) question multiple choice written test. You will do fine dont sweat it!

nrembis
05-31-2009, 23:30
I work nights in a machine shop so I have been studying all week at work :smiley36:.

LOL, I know what you mean, I am a machinist on 3rd shift and am at work right now :) ...whats even better is its coming up on 1am and its almost break time :smilie39:

bennerman
05-31-2009, 23:33
I work nights in a machine shop so I have been studying all week at work :smiley36:.

LOL, I know what you mean, I am a machinist on 3rd shift and am at work right now :) ...whats even better is its coming up on 1am and its almost break time :smilie39:

Hey, maybe on your break, you can go on the awesome Scuba Toys forum, eh?

mrmccoy
06-01-2009, 00:21
We only have 2 shifts 5am-3:30pm and 3:30pm-2am. the night shift is nice! We have computers at every machine once the ol' mazak is up and running good I hit the internet.........back to my original question!
It's not really me I'm worried about it's my girlfiend that may have the problem. this coming weekend we are going to ft. walton beach,fl to do everything and she hasn't really done anything but watch one of the dvds and listened to about half of the audio while looking at the book. I guess on the 4 hour ride she will have to study pretty hard! I'm sure we will be listening to the boring voice on the cd's.....hope i can stay awake!

navyhmc
06-01-2009, 03:33
What are your tables questions? Maybe we can help you out.

waytooslow
06-01-2009, 09:33
So if you are plannning a formal dinner how should you set the table?

navyhmc
06-01-2009, 10:13

Why on Nitrox, of course. :smiley36:

cruzan
06-01-2009, 17:04
We only have 2 shifts 5am-3:30pm and 3:30pm-2am. the night shift is nice! We have computers at every machine once the ol' mazak is up and running good I hit the internet.........back to my original question!
It's not really me I'm worried about it's my girlfiend that may have the problem. this coming weekend we are going to ft. walton beach,fl to do everything and she hasn't really done anything but watch one of the dvds and listened to about half of the audio while looking at the book. I guess on the 4 hour ride she will have to study pretty hard! I'm sure we will be listening to the boring voice on the cd's.....hope i can stay awake!

Poor girl, I hope she studies those tables.
Enjoy the dives the written portion of the test is the hard part.

cruzan
06-01-2009, 17:09

That depends USVI formal requires long pants(clean jeans) & formal flip-flops. The table should be set accordingly, no plastic ware & use the semi matching stainless.

Up here eh who knows were divers.

mitsuguy
06-01-2009, 18:45

That depends USVI formal requires long pants(clean jeans) & formal flip-flops. The table should be set accordingly, no plastic ware & use the semi matching stainless.

Up here eh who knows were divers.

Yah,I feel overdressed wearing jeans ANYWHERE...

mrmccoy
06-01-2009, 19:53
the question that is giving me problems...... If you have a letter group of F and you want to make a dive to 21meters(70feet) for 20mins, you must have a SIT of at least____________to have a new letter group of ________. the answer in the book says an hour and a half and the letter group D, but i'm not sure how to get that answer.

Rhino
06-01-2009, 21:10
Did you receive your hard plastic NAUI Dive Tables with the study material?

mrmccoy
06-01-2009, 21:38
I understand how to get the SIT but the letter group after the dive has me. I guess i'm missing something!

mrmccoy
06-01-2009, 21:39
and I do have the dive table

navyhmc
06-01-2009, 23:29
the question that is giving me problems...... If you have a letter group of F and you want to make a dive to 21meters(70feet) for 20mins, you must have a SIT of at least____________to have a new letter group of ________. the answer in the book says an hour and a half and the letter group D, but i'm not sure how to get that answer.

This is a sideways problem-or that's what I call them. Start with Table 3-Repetative Dive Timetable. Find you 70'/21m and go down intil the AMDT is at least 20 minutes. Note that a "D" repetative group has 20 minutes of RNT(top number) and 25 minutes of AMDT (bottom number) since an "E" group has 19 minutes, it's not enough of a SIT.

From table 2-SIT Table if you follow down the vertical "F" column and the Horizontal "D" row you have a SIT time of between 1:30 and 2:28. So there is the how to for that problem.

Now, if you did do this dive as a repetitive dive, what is your End-of-dive letter group for the second dive?

Hope this helps.

ETA: sorry for the delay in replying, i was on EMS calls since aroud 6:30 pm

mrmccoy
06-02-2009, 00:26
ok I see how to do that!
Now for the End-of-dive letter you add your RNT+ADT which would be 51......this is where i get confused does it make you a letter I ?

navyhmc
06-02-2009, 00:51
We established that your repetitive dive group is "D". Your RNT at 70' fora "D" group is 20 minutes ( essentially the table is telling you that you have an equivilant of 20 minutes of nitrogen in absorbed in your system at the start of your repetitive dive.)

Your plan is 70' for 20 minutes so add the RNT to your planned time. since you still have absorbed nitrogen from the first dive, your total Nitrogen time (TNT) for the second dive is 40 minutes. Add your RNT to your actual dive time to get the TNT.

Go to table one and find your end of dive letter group for 70' for 40 minutes TNT. You should get a EOD of "H".

One thing you can do to help with table problems is go to Scuba toys software section and download the Table Tutor: Table Tutor reviews and discounts, ScubaToys (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TableTutor)

install it on your computer and send Larry and/or Joe an email with the share ware number and they'll give you a free unlock code since you're a forum member. They have the NAUI tables in the data files.

Notthat I mind helping you out, but the tutor will let you do it faster and easier and it has help prompts to show you how to get the correct answer.

mrmccoy
06-02-2009, 01:27
OHHHH that just clicked now I understand!! Thanks a bunch navyhmc I have no clue what I have been doing! I will download the table tutor when I get home(i'm at work now). I think this is the best forum I have seen in a long time! but i'm used to reading firearm forums.
Thanks agian for your help!

navyhmc
06-02-2009, 03:00
OHHHH that just clicked now I understand!! Thanks a bunch navyhmc I have no clue what I have been doing! I will download the table tutor when I get home(i'm at work now). I think this is the best forum I have seen in a long time! but i'm used to reading firearm forums.
Thanks agian for your help!

Glad to be able to help. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM or post. :smiley20:

mrmccoy
06-05-2009, 11:57
Well i'm off to my OW class this weekend! The next time I post I should be OW certified. Thanks agian navyhmc for the help!

navyhmc
06-06-2009, 02:05
Good luck!!!!

mrmccoy
06-09-2009, 13:03
Well I did well in the classroom but had problems equalizing my ears. The pools session was fine. We went to do a bay dive and pratice our skills. On the first 20ft. dive I was fine but we surfaced talked for a few mins. then went back down and that is when my ears started giving me problems. finally got them equalized and finished our second bay dive. The next day we went on the boat (Miss Teak) we started down the anchor line and then my G\F had problems equalizing so she ended the dive. I continued down very slow swallowing and using the hold nose n blow method. I had to stop and go up a feet of two and everything was fine. We finished the dive out at 60ft. headed back to the surface. on the second dive I could not equalize my ears got to about 15 feet went up then back down still wouldn't equalize. I finally called my dive and headed back up :( I did not get to finish my OW cert. due to my ears. Dan my instructor told us that in 2 days we had done alot of diving and we will just have to come back in a few weeks and will probly be fine. I did wake up the next morning with a stopped up nose so I'm guessing that was the problem I had a cold comming on! Thanks agian for all the help!