PDA

View Full Version : Intro to tech

thor
06-01-2009, 09:31
So I just fiished 3 dives in my Intro to tech course or "Intro to-who was I fooling when I thought I could dive" course. What a great but humbling experience. It was so funny hearing all of your various past postings in my head while I was diving such as "get a long hose", "split fins stink" and "get a BP/W", etc. Anybody want a pair of split fins? How about a "not so safe" octo/inflator ?

BubblesMcCoy
06-01-2009, 09:33
So I just fiished 3 dives in my Intro to tech course or "Intro to-who was I fooling when I thought I could dive" course. What a great but humbling experience. It was so funny hearing all of your various past postings in my head while I was diving such as "get a long hose", "split fins stink" and "get a BP/W", etc. Anybody want a pair of split fins? How about a "not so safe" octo/inflator ?

Interesting perspective. Would love for you to expand on this when you have time. What are you learning, what's the course like etc.

navyhmc
06-01-2009, 09:44

But the thing is thor, you knew how to dive! There is nothing wrong with a octo/inflator for the diving you were doing and there was nothing wrong with split fins for that same diving. The difference is you are now getting into an area of diving that is a lot less forgiving and a straight forward configuration is more and more important.

Congrats on your dives-hope you continue to learn and have fum.:smiley20:

Heavy D
06-03-2009, 18:50
So I just fiished 3 dives in my Intro to tech course or "Intro to-who was I fooling when I thought I could dive" course.
I hear you on this. I just did 2 dives in my intro to tech course on Saturday. Man, talk about task loading. Actually it wasn't too bad. My first dive was all messed up since it was my first time in doubles. The second, I did much better but still need to tune my trim. It was fun though.

jj1987
06-03-2009, 19:13
Are instructors recommending that you take a class for your first time in doubles? I was told to get experience in them with a mentor and then take the class to refine skills, just curious.

UCFKnightDiver
06-03-2009, 21:30
Are instructors recommending that you take a class for your first time in doubles? I was told to get experience in them with a mentor and then take the class to refine skills, just curious.

I would think it probably has some to do with location

in_cavediver
06-03-2009, 21:46

I think its situation dependent. Most if not all would agree a mentored approach over many dives is best but not all people have competent mentors to work with. Barring a mentor - a class is the next best option. You may not pass the class but you'll learn doubles with an instructor over at least a few dives prior to heading out on your own.

Heavy D
06-04-2009, 05:55
Well, my instructor is my mentor. Its not like he is going to say "oh you didn't pass the skills so that's it." He got me started, we did a couple dives, and he pointed out some things for me to work on. Now while he goes on his trimix trip to Truk, I can work with a couple of friends that are tech certified and refine my trim and such. Then when he comes back, we will dive some more and he will test my skills. If he feels I'm competent, he will cert me. If not, then I will work on it some more until he does. My instructor is also a friend so its not like most instructor student relationships.

crpntr133
06-09-2009, 10:07
Boy do I remember my intro. Wasn't really bad but could have been better. Mine was TDI and I loved it since the class format was flexible.

mtnplayva
09-11-2009, 13:35
Boy do I remember my intro. Wasn't really bad but could have been better. Mine was TDI and I loved it since the class format was flexible. What did you like/not like about the TDI Intro to Tech course? I am registered to take it next weekend. What was covered?

crpntr133
09-20-2009, 11:44
This post is probably mute but I will post anyway. With TDI the intro class can be anything that is needed. Since we were going on to adv. nitrox/deco with the same instructor we focused more on those skills.
Both of us had experience with doubles and were weighted and trimmed right. So it was valve drills, bottle drop and usage, gear configuration, frog kick.
If you need other help then that class can change focus really quick.
BTW, it wasn't the class itself that could have been better, rather my skills.

mtnplayva
09-20-2009, 15:24
BTW, it wasn't the class itself that could have been better, rather my skills. Ah, OK. I misunderstood. I just got home from the quarry and feel exactly like the OP....I really laughed after reading it again now that I've finished the course.
On one hand it wasn't as frustrating as I thought it would be but it also made me realize how much I need to practice skills while hovering. I actually thought that I was getting pretty good at this hovering thing so this put me right back in my place :) I have a brand new 7mm wetsuit so that made it even more challenging.
It was a lot of fun though. The most awesome part? I can back kick now! (And in split fins) A drysuit might just be in my future though.....

SiscoKid
11-12-2009, 20:46
BTW, it wasn't the class itself that could have been better, rather my skills. Ah, OK. I misunderstood. I just got home from the quarry and feel exactly like the OP....I really laughed after reading it again now that I've finished the course.
On one hand it wasn't as frustrating as I thought it would be but it also made me realize how much I need to practice skills while hovering. I actually thought that I was getting pretty good at this hovering thing so this put me right back in my place :) I have a brand new 7mm wetsuit so that made it even more challenging.
It was a lot of fun though. The most awesome part? I can back kick now! (And in split fins) A drysuit might just be in my future though.....

Congratulation on your Intro to tec there is many many more steps to go and it just keeps getting better

workhorse
01-14-2010, 10:47

I have been diving doubles for about 9 months. and practicing the tech skill to get ready for tech. Man what a change! doubles are great.

j1j2j38
01-18-2010, 14:44
How long does the TDI intro to tech course take? Do most people already have all their equipment like for the full adv nitrox and deco course or are most people new to it and renting for the course?

CompuDude
01-18-2010, 19:18
How long does the TDI intro to tech course take? Do most people already have all their equipment like for the full adv nitrox and deco course or are most people new to it and renting for the course?

I would guess most people own the equipment before they take the class. A full bp/w and doubles rig with 7' primary hose and bungeed secondary, at the least. It may make sense to hold off on deco bottles until you're ready to actually take the class, however, since you really can't use it anyway until training starts (at least, not with 50%/100% deco mixes... and you don't want to contaminate an o2-clean rig with air just for practice).

comet24
01-18-2010, 20:25

I never did an Intro class but have been through TDI's Adv. Nitrox/Deco class. I traveled to take the class(wanted to take it from instructors that where very experienced in the diving I wanted to do) because of this they provided all tanks. Basically I was giving a set of doubles and deco tank first day. Keep the same ones throughout the week. I had everything else, Primary regs, 2 deco regs, BP/W, can light and backups, computer and backups, reel, spools, lift bag, SMB ect.