PDA

View Full Version : Completed my OW!

hornet
06-01-2009, 20:21
I pass my OW this weekend!! The dives were a lot of fun but way to short. Was able to see a few bass a sunkin boat and lots of silt. The water was a little on the cold side (50.5 F) even with the 7mm wet suit. Then on the second day the water wasn’t much warmer so just for fun we were added in a strong wind. Over shot the nav a little but other than that everything went well. Now I need to start saving for some gear, or maybe AOW first, so many choices.

navyhmc
06-01-2009, 22:12
Congrats! Now get out there and dive! Seriously, good luck and happy diving.

MSilvia
06-02-2009, 09:06
Congratualtions! Stick with it, and have fun!

DevilDiver
06-02-2009, 09:17
Congratulations!
Welcome to the forum....

PTAaron
06-02-2009, 09:19
Congratz on your certification!!
I just passed mine last month, it is a great feeling isn't it?

scubadiver888
06-02-2009, 09:43
I pass my OW this weekend!! The dives were a lot of fun but way to short. Was able to see a few bass a sunkin boat and lots of silt. The water was a little on the cold side (50.5 F) even with the 7mm wet suit. Then on the second day the water wasn’t much warmer so just for fun we were added in a strong wind. Over shot the nav a little but other than that everything went well. Now I need to start saving for some gear, or maybe AOW first, so many choices.

Congrats hornet.

Water will get warmer over the summer and peak around August. I'd get some gear and work on buoyancy control before going for AOW. Good buoyancy control will help you to stay down longer (better buoyancy means less air in the BCD, less air over-exerting yourself, more air for breathing.

If you are a good independent learner and a PADI student, get the Adventure Diver manual (used for AOW training) and read up on Peak Performance Buoyancy. Or read posts on here about improving your buoyancy.

If you like having someone else show you, take a course on buoyancy control.

DMWiz
06-02-2009, 10:24
Congrats!

Stay wet.

hornet
06-02-2009, 14:45
Thanks, I will defiantly get back in the water just not as soon as I want. Been looking at the Dacor Talon BC and Aeris Atmos Pro Package reviews and discounts, Oceanic (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Package3) going to have a garage sale this weekend and see what I can scrounge up. Was lucky and picked up a tank and 21lbs of lead for $55 after hydro so I have a good start.

bennerman
06-02-2009, 15:22
Completed your OW? What, did you stub your toe or something? *rimshot* In all seriousness, congratulations

plot
06-06-2009, 21:38
congrats.

you bring up a good question though... own gear or aow first? so many arguements for both sides. i'd go with own gear i guess.

mitsuguy
06-06-2009, 22:00
gear first, then training...

training is great, and I obviously highly recommend spending as much time as possible with someone more experienced than yourself (even as an instructor, I still like listening to and diving with other pros), however, the key to keep diving is to have gear that is yours and ready to go whenever you are, so that the only thing you have to worry about renting is tanks (if that)

It simplifies your life so much that going diving becomes second nature, instead of a hassle to go get gear and such...

snagel
06-07-2009, 05:15
This is a no-brainer....basic gear first. Reason: You need to be comfortable in your own gear before attempting AOW. In AOW you will be doing buoyancy skills and deep dive skills....you need to be comfortable in your gear to enjoy this.

Snagel

hornet
06-09-2009, 20:25
Well the garage sale went well and I was able to make enough to place an order. I should be receiving a nice package after work Friday. I went with the Dacor Talon BC and Aeris Atmos Pro Package reviews and discounts, Oceanic (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Package3) I did change the octo out for a Aeris A1 just to keep the same brand in a reg set.

I know I will probably want to change the BCD and computer in time but this will at least get me started.

From what I can find the Aeris Atmos seams to be a very good reg. So I should be good there.

Now to start saving for a wetsuit.

I also contacted the dive shop I took my OW threw and they have offered me a good deal on AOW if I want to take it this summer. I see how the money can go fast with this hobby.

bennerman
06-09-2009, 20:49
Completed your OW? What, did you stub your toe or something? *rimshot*

...Not even a chuckle...

underh2o
06-09-2009, 21:15
when I started my first thing I bought was my own reg set. It was mine all mine and I know when it was serviced..Life support that I know is so much better. Oh congrats! Same planet, but different worlds...enjoy the water.

Splitlip
06-09-2009, 21:48
when I started my first thing I bought was my own reg set. It was mine all mine and I know when it was serviced..Life support that I know is so much better. Oh congrats! Same planet, but different worlds...enjoy the water.
Hijack Alert!

OP

I highly recommend buying a reg first for reasons above.

BCD last. Or maybe computer if money is an issue in as much as you already have a computer between your shoulders.

Reg selection can be done quite objectively. They can be hooked to machines and their breathing tested nonsubjectively. You can buy the best in your price range and be done with it. If need be a hose can be switched out, mouth piece changed, exhaust diverters added..you get the picture.

BCD comfort and mastering is very personal and the selection very subjective. You need to try as many as you can if you don't want to end up buying, selling, buying, selling until you find the right one for you. (remember fit is not as important as how your body reacts to it)

Show of hands :) please. How many of us have a jacket or two (or even a back inflate) hanging in our closets unused which we purchased before finding the right BCD. :smiley2:

mitsuguy
06-09-2009, 22:19
I highly recommend buying a reg first for reasons above.

BCD last. Or maybe computer if money is an issue in as much as you already have a computer between your shoulders.

Reg selection can be done quite objectively. They can be hooked to machines and their breathing tested nonsubjectively. You can buy the best in your price range and be done with it. If need be a hose can be switched out, mouth piece changed, exhaust diverters added..you get the picture.

BCD comfort and mastering is very personal and the selection very subjective. You need to try as many as you can if you don't want to end up buying, selling, buying, selling until you find the right one for you. (remember fit is not as important as how your body reacts to it)

Show of hands :) please. How many of us have a jacket or two (or even a back inflate) hanging in our closets unused which we purchased before finding the right BCD. :smiley2:

I follow Joe / Larry's train of thought on this stuff... BCD comfort may be very personal, but also what that means is that it may take 6-10 dives before really getting to "know" the BCD which also means you can't really figure it out just by renting... It is also one of the most personal things (aside from mask / wetsuit)... Once you get your own personal BCD figured out, then everything else seems easier...

As far as regulators go, there is no real learning curve with them. You breathe in and breathe out. Safety, well, just because your own gear was serviced doesn't mean its safe. I think if you looked at statistics, you would see that most reg problems are shortly after service. I know we have very very few issues with our rental regulators, and even the slightest potential issue is fixed immediately.

Chilkie
06-10-2009, 15:37
I passed OW a few months back. Since then I have bought:

Two BCD's (Including one Custom Color NC State Zeagle Ranger, yippee!!!!)
Three Wetsuits (3mm, 5mm, Shorty)
Knife
Reel
Three computers
Two masks
Two snorkles
Two sets Fins
Gloves
Hood
Tank (used)
NC State Stickers For Tank
Pony Bottle
Two Regs
One Octo
One Atomic SS1 Inflator
Booties
Spring Straps
16 Lbs. Weights
3 Retractors
2 Underwater Cameras
242 Little Things I can't remember (Mask wash, etc.)

This sport is addictive!!! Thanks goodness my girlie is not into scuba so she has no idea of what these things cost. :smiley20:
She's just happy that it is safer than me being out on the street riding my motorcycle.

Show of hands :) please. How many of us have a jacket or two (or even a back inflate) hanging in our closets unused which we purchased before finding the right BCD. :smiley2:[/quote]

plot
06-10-2009, 15:45
I went with backplate/wing the first time so I don't have a BCD hanging in my closet somewhere. ;)

I have two wings for it now, one for doubles, one for singles. Same backplate and harness as always... which is the awesome thing about bp/w's.

navyhmc
06-10-2009, 15:51
Have to agree with plot. One thing I like about the BP/W: interchangeability.

scubadiver888
06-10-2009, 16:15
I went with backplate/wing the first time so I don't have a BCD hanging in my closet somewhere. ;)

I have two wings for it now, one for doubles, one for singles. Same backplate and harness as always... which is the awesome thing about bp/w's.

Yeah, rub it in. I'm still using my one and only BCD. When the thing dies (or I can afford it) I'm getting a BP/W set up. Problem is there is only one shop in my area that sells them and he only sells OMS. Some day I'll break down and order it online.

plot
06-10-2009, 16:34
mines from deepseasupply and they've been great in helping me out and ordering from them.