PDA

View Full Version : New fish on the block

LGardner
06-03-2009, 08:11
I start SCUBA Open Water classes next week. So anxious and excited. I need any and all advice and suggestions possible. I live in Central Florida by Kennedy Space Center. What do I wear under my rental wet suit, etc???:smiley31:

loki
06-03-2009, 08:39
well, for starters welcome to the group and welcome to diving. you are very lucky indeed for living in a VERY good spot to go diving all the time! i am stuck with mud puddles here in my part of TX and 4 hr drive to the coast only to have to take a 1 hr boat ride to clear waters!

if your suit is a 1-3 then you really don't NEED anything. some people like to get likra (sp) suits. i have one and it makes getting in and out of my wet suits a LOT easier. that goes for my 3 and my 7

LGardner
06-03-2009, 08:47
Hi. I really didn't even understand some of the terms you used about the wet suits. Our waters are warm, I guess. I want something easy to get in and out of. Do I wear a 1 piece or 2 piece bathing suit under it? Are you near Corpus Christi, TX? How do I know what size to get? Do you get used stuff like from Craigslist or something? Ever gone wreck diving? What "Specialties" are good ones?

mollymae006
06-03-2009, 10:35
I just got certified last week. Good luck and have fun. I live in Oklahoma and we certified in Arkansas. The water temperature was 70-74 degrees and I wore a 7 mil wet suit. Some of the other students wore a 3 mil suit with an additional 3 mil over it. (3 mil--7 mil speaks of the thickness of the suit, as I am sure you figured out--had no clue myself until I started this) I suspect that your water temperature is a lot warmer so you shouldn't need a lot. On my pool dive I wore a two piece swimsuit under my wetsuit; I didn't like it because the top didn't stay together when taking the wetsuit off, so on my lake dive I wore a one piece, which I didn't like because I hate having to completely undress to go to the restroom. So, I really think it is a personal preference.

Ask your instrutor. My experience was great. I asked A LOT of questions and to be honest, I think they expect it and my instructors were more than happy to answer me each and every time.

Good luck and let us know how everything turns out.

DevilDiver
06-03-2009, 11:56
I didn't like because I hate having to completely undress to go to the restroom.

Wow, that is a little extreme but hey we are not here to judge.......:smiley36:

divechaplain-sara
06-06-2009, 10:13
Whatever type of bathing suit you are most comfortable in. I like a two piece for the ease of going to the bathroom, especially if diving somewhere that only has port-a-potties for facilities. I would caution against a top that has to be tied at the neck-it can be bulky under the wetsuit and could accidentally come untied while doffing the wetsuit.

jet126
06-07-2009, 08:26
Congratulations! Welcome to our wonderful, amazing world underwater.

Ask your instructor for a good local dive shop and use them as your resource. Start with the basics: mask, fins & snorkel. You'll find plenty of people happy to help & answer questions.

Don't let anyone talk you into purchasing everything right away. Like any new thing you're going to want to try different brands before you find what's comfortable for you. And I would not recommend on-line to start with. You need to figure out proper fit by trying stuff on - same as any mail order.

As far as under your wetsuit - any comfortable swim suit. You'll know the first time you pull your wetsuit on/off if it was a good choice!

Above all - look for the learning opportunities in EVERY dive. Even if it's just what swim suit works: you've learned something. Don't get stressed. Think to yourself - ok, here's something I can tweak for next time.

Have fun. Florida is a great place for a diver!

sea princess
06-07-2009, 14:04
How exciting and welcome to the world of scuba! Glad to see more woman joining the club.
I prefer to wear a two piece for the same reasons others have stated to be able to use the restrooms easier. Definately make sure it is tied well and if it has bulky ties at the back in can get uncomfortable with the weight of the tank pressing on it. I also prefer to wear a lycra suit over the bathing suit but under the wetsuit to make it easier to slide on and off. You may not need it if you are wearing a 3ml suit. we are still wearing 7mls here in arizona.
Jet126 gave great advice about waiting to purchase. Start with the basics and gradually purchase as you get more involved in the sport. I will say you will definatley dive more if you have your own gear and don't have to rent everytime.

LGardner
06-09-2009, 11:11
Had my first SCUBA class last night. The technical aspects weren't as daunting as all the gear you can get!!! I had read the book already and did understand him and the test. All's well there. I have good breathing control since I do yoga. I just am a bit nervous that I when I'm down I won't do something really stupid!!! The instructor pretty much said all that you've all said! We'll do our ocean dive this Sunday in West Palm Beach, Florida. And again the next weekend. Pool dive this Sat. I could barely pick up an empty tank. How am I to put on a full one?????

jet126
06-09-2009, 12:34
LOVE your enthusiasm, L! Don't ever lose it. Diving is kind of like learning to drive a stick shift. At first it's all clutch-break-gas-when-do-I-do-what and then before you know it, it's second nature.

Palm Beach County has some of the best diving on FL's east coast. You'll be so enamoured with everything you see you'll forget to be nervous!

As far as your tank. Full gear IS heavy. Everyone sits to put on bc/tank. Use your legs - not your back. Sound familiar?! :)

LGardner
06-09-2009, 12:56
I wanted to post a pic of one of my Pugs (I do Pug Rescue) since I saw your doggie pic. How can I show her to you?

Smoochy
06-09-2009, 13:58
Welcome!!! You are so lucky to be in FL! Great diving all around that state.

As for what to wear under the wetsuit, I personally wear either a sports bra, or an exercise type tank top with a built in bra, and a bathing suit bottom. It was hard to find a bathing suit that didn't tie around the neck that was comfortable, so this was the easiest solution. As for the tanks... on land is the only place they are heavy. You will have your buddy to help you put it on, and as soon as you get in the water, you won't even know it's there :smiley20:

As far as purchasing gear, your best bet is to try a bunch of stuff first to see what you like and what is most comfortable. I would definitely suggest getting your wetsuit first though (after your fins and mask, etc...) A 3mm is the most versatile IMO. You can always add a hooded vest later which brings me well into the low 70s. Any water temps lower than that, and you can count me out anyway :smiley36:

jet126
06-09-2009, 18:02
I wanted to post a pic of one of my Pugs (I do Pug Rescue) since I saw your doggie pic. How can I show her to you?

If you go to advanced reply you will see the little paper clip icon and can attach a file just like any normal email.

LGardner
06-10-2009, 07:55
:smiley32: This is Morticia. One of my 4 Pugs I've rescued. Hopefully, you'll get this attachment....

LGardner
06-10-2009, 08:12
Hi. What great info! The sports bra & tank top idea sounds good to me. I can imagine a bikini top riding up and being uncomfortable! How do you get into the water from the boat?
:smilie39:

I've attached a pic of my precious Morticia. I'm in Pug Rescue. She's one of my 4.

jet126
06-10-2009, 08:27
Morticia is adorable and of course the perfect name. I have two rescued pits.

The most common way to get into the water from a boat is called a giant stride. You stand at the edge and literally step (with a very wide stride) into the water. Hold your reg and mask with one hand and your weight belt, gauges, etc with the other. Don't worry - your instructor will walk you through it the first time! He/she may even have someone demonstrate. Most boats have ladders that you'll climb up to get back on.

Another entry off smaller boats or dinghys is called a backwards roll. You sit at the very edge and fall backwards into the water. You summersault for a moment but with a little air in your bc you'll bob right side up and can surface to get your bearings with your group. Getting back on a dinghy is very undignified. There's no graceful way to do it.

LGardner
06-10-2009, 08:36
how long have you been diving? We'll do our ocean dives this weekend down in West Palm Beach. How was your first dive?

jet126
06-10-2009, 20:29
I've been scuba certified for about ten years but I was free-diving for years before that. I learned to swim while still in diapers - literally!

My first dive ... I remember being at about 30 ft and looking up at the surface thinking "I can breathe underwater! This is the coolest thing EVER." I also thought I wish I had done this years ago.

Have fun in WPB this weekend.

Divervon
06-10-2009, 22:09
welcome to diving. Hope you enjoy your first training dive this weekend. I was certified in a 10 ml suit end of november in Oklahoma. Not at all as exciting as my first ocean dive.
:smiley20:I would recommend that you wear whatever suit you feel most comfortable with. I can say eventually with the warm waters where you are that you wont wear a wetsuit at all.

mrm777
06-14-2009, 00:21
Welcome....yer' gonna love it, diving is terrific.

Tip:
Keep your chin up and look toward the horizon on your giant stride.

jet126
06-14-2009, 06:28
Hey L -
You're probably logging dives 3 & 4 today. We had perfect weather here in Hollywood yesterday - today looks the same. Hope WPB had it too! We're all waiting to hear how much you loved everything!