PDA

View Full Version : Best way to stow or clip-off a light

ParrotHead
08-24-2007, 22:11
I have a Princeton Tec Surge and am looking for a clean way to stow it or clip it off. Its a bit too large for a BC pocket. I have something similar to the CRLO3 (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CRLO3) which seems a bit gimmicky, and hang a bit low - but is the only way I have found to stow it.

Suggestions?

PS: Before anyone suggests it - I'm not a fan of just putting it over my wrist - since I have computer on one and a backup watch on the other.

3rdEye
08-24-2007, 22:21
i think that's probably the way I'd go.....clipped on one of the D rings on the bottom of my BC.

Jaymeany
08-24-2007, 22:49
I do the d-ring with the same clip. I find if I clip it up its not too bad. you might be able to find another hook but make sure you can get at it in the water and that the cord stretches without too much resistance. I guess it depends a lot on your BC. Also a high load retractor will work but only gets you an inch or 2 less hanging stowed.

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 03:07
this one looks good. It's Larry's choice also...

cummings66
08-25-2007, 06:46
That looks like one you could use caveline and tie a boltsnap to the end, the clip it to your shoulder D ring and at the lower end use a bungee cord or something like that to retain it up tight to the harness.

Zenagirl
08-25-2007, 06:59
Trident (I think) makes these cool coil lanyards that have magnets to keep the coil clipped together (instead of using a plastic buckle). We use them to clip off our lights to D rings.

cummings66
08-25-2007, 08:51
Just what I need, something to affect my compass. I think I'd skip the magnet idea personally. In my plane a magnet in the back will affect the compass 3 feet away.

namabiru
08-25-2007, 09:52
Hmmm... you can secure one end and the other dangles....

Well, what if you got one of those retractable clips (Cetacea) to put the lanyard-end on, then the retractable clip was attached to your BCD. Then, if you wanted to secure the other end, you could get two cable ties and a two-ended snap bolt. Put one cable tie around the light, then thread the other one through the first one, so you have a little loop. Make the loop the size you need to attach to snap bolt plus stretch enough to reach your other D-ring. Put one end of the snap bolt through the D-ring, then connect the two.

To use the light, you just undo the snap bolt and pull from the retractor clip.

*shrug*

ETA-- You know, I've often wondered how a fanny pack/bum belt would work for diving. I know you can't put it around your waist for its intended use, but what if you could somehow put it on your upper leg, or your arm? Then you could stow a needed item like a light. They make the neoprene pockets for wetsuits too.

Sideband
08-25-2007, 09:53
If it was me, I'd try to attach a boltsnap, using caveline, to the butt of the light and clip that to a shoulder Dring. To keep it from being a dangly, tie a loop of bungee or use a band of rubber around the shoulder strap to keep the head of the light in place. Works great on BP harnesses but you would have to experiment a bit with a BC vest.

Oops. Cummings66 beat me to it.

BigScubaCat
08-26-2007, 16:10
Go down to your local home repair place and pick up some of those brass bolt clips. They come in several sizes. Secure one of these to your light and it'll clip easily to yor BCD. It'll be right where you secured it and ready to use of you need it.

scubasamurai
08-26-2007, 19:21
i use it too, but i also carry a smaller powerful light ikelite pcm. this thing shines brigther than my c4 light.

ianr33
08-26-2007, 19:25
Go down to your local home repair place and pick up some of those brass bolt clips.

Even better get a stainless bolt snap. The brass ones tend to get a sharp edge that is great at slicing wet thumbs !

terrillja
08-26-2007, 19:50
I use the one that you linked to, but have it clipped to my d-ring at the base of my shoulder strap, I find that most of the time I don't even have to detach it, I can use it there, but getting into and out of the water, it is above my waist.

Phestr
08-26-2007, 21:42
I use the one that you linked to, but have it clipped to my d-ring at the base of my shoulder strap, I find that most of the time I don't even have to detach it, I can use it there, but getting into and out of the water, it is above my waist.

I do the same. It does hang too low on the bottom D, so I clip it higher. I've never clipped it during the dive, though. Just on entry/exit.

ScaredSilly
08-27-2007, 20:22
That looks like one you could use caveline and tie a boltsnap to the end, the clip it to your shoulder D ring and at the lower end use a bungee cord or something like that to retain it up tight to the harness.

My suggestion as well. Stainless steel clips are great.