PDA

View Full Version : Corrective vision masks...?

Cichlid
07-11-2007, 23:21
I'm just getting started and was wondering if anyone had any good
experiences with a specific brand/model of corrective vision
masks? Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

EDIT: I'm also worried about fitting, I don't want to order something that I can't take back. Any ideas?

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 01:49
1) Buy the mask you like, that fits you. (preferably a 2-pane mask, meaning one lens over each eye instead of one big pane of glass)

2) Contact http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com (http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com) to have them turn your mask into a perfect prescription mask.

Diver Dennis
07-12-2007, 09:51
I use Mares X-Visions with drop in lenses. Cheaper than full prescription masks and work well.

mmakay
07-12-2007, 09:58
I was lucky. Not only do I need Rx, but the mask that fits me best is the Sea Vision 2000. (It seams to fit lots of faces well ... definitely try one.) Sea Vision is one of the major suppliers of Rx lenses, and they custom ground a set for me that are perfect. Well worth the expense. I can now spot critters in the coral that most folks cruise past without a thought.

mmakay
07-12-2007, 10:00
I should add: My Rx includes astigmatism. Drop-in lenses are available in +/- correction only. So your particular needs will dictate the best solution for you.

CompuDude
07-12-2007, 10:44
I should add: My Rx includes astigmatism. Drop-in lenses are available in +/- correction only. So your particular needs will dictate the best solution for you.

This is true. I've had both... the drop in lenses and custom ground (from PDM, linked above). The drop in lenses are a lot cheaper, but tend to come in .5 increments starting at -1 and only going to a certain level. And no astigmatism correction.

Unless you have no astigmatism and your prescription happens to fall right on, you'll have to compromise.

That said, I have -.75 and -1.25 vision, and astigmatism, and I still had a large benefit from using a mask with two drop-in -1.0 lenses. It all depends on you, though... some people have double vision without astigmatism correction, but I don't. (Also note the water tends to compensate for astigmatism to some small degree on it's own).

So when I'm feeling cheap, I get away with the drop in lenses, and dive quite happily. It's always nice to go all out the get the custom ground lenses, though.

Vercingetorix
07-12-2007, 12:12
I bought the +3.0 drop-in lenses from ScubaToys. Easy to install and remove (when you buy new mask and want to transfer lens).

Cichlid
07-12-2007, 21:58
I'm a -1.00 and -0.75, no astigmatism.I was looking at the drop in ones originally, but I like the idea of the custom ones more. I didn't know that was an option. Thanks for the link CompuDude. I need to find a LDS so I can try this stuff on! Thanks for all the suggestions guys, now I know what to look for.

wxboy911
07-13-2007, 06:27
I dive with a Cressi Big Eye- its easy to swap out the standard lenses for perscription lenses and the lenses are tilted inward at the bottom. For a new diver like me it helps to be able to see the front of my BC.

dutch552
07-13-2007, 10:21
The Mares X-Vision is a popular low-volume two window mask that allows Rx inserts for those of us with vision problems. I have been diving mine this season with nothing but good things to say about it.

madrsx
07-13-2007, 18:26
I just got the Mares X-Vision from Scubatoys with the drop in lenses. It was pretty easy to install, and I figure I could replace the mask later with the new X-Vision Liquidskin and just continue to use the same lenses when I need a new mask.

Before the X-Vision, I had a Scubapro CrystalVu with custom ground lenses epoxied in. I do have an astigmatism, but I cannot notice a significant difference between the two masks. Having the drop in lenses is makes the mask much lighter though, as their is only one layer of glass rather than two layers from a glass lens being epoxied in.

One thing I've heard about getting drop in lenses if you're nearsighted - round down if you're between corrections. For example, if your prescription is -2.75, then get the -2.5 if there is no -2.75. This is apparently because using a mask underwater provides some inherent magnification which increases the power. I don't know if this is entirely accurate, but it's what I've heard.

Cichlid
07-13-2007, 19:54
Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Get LASIK!

Actually, that's a really good idea.

Lucky(AR)
07-15-2007, 01:35
i just bought a matrix corrective lens off ebay for 50 bucks and it is awsome feets perfect, looks good and the yellow lens turn 5 ft visibility into 10 ft in some cases...50 bucks u cant beat i looked at some mask that were 130.00 just make sure u get one that fits your face...they say to put the mask up to your face and suck in if doesnt fall its good !

CompuDude
07-15-2007, 02:56
Nearly any mask will stick you if you suck in hard enough. Unfortunately, that's not how the mask fits in real life once you get underwater. It's also important to try it on with a snorkel, regular or mouthpiece in your mouth, because that's how your mouth will be underwater.

Put mouthpiece (or whatever) in your mouth. Get the strap out of the way. You won't use it all for fitting. Place the mask on your face, gently, and look straight up. Inhale through your nose as gently as possible... try to see if you can possibly inhale gently enough to draw air in through gaps but NOT suck it to your face. If air rushes in easily, it's not a good fit. If it's extremely difficult or better yet impossible to allow any air to get in by inhaling super gently without sucking the mask to your face, held in place only by gravity as you look up at the ceiling, then you have a good fit.

dbsea
08-22-2007, 12:17
Hey all, one word of caution when changing lenses on a used mask---be sure to wipe all sand & salt crystals off of the sealing surfaces before seating the lenses & replacing the retainers.....DBSEA

Souvy
08-24-2007, 23:11
I've got a Hydrooptix mask which I absolutely love. I bought mine directly from Hydrooptix and they were incredibly helpful, I had a fitting issue and they went well above and beyond to help me find a mask that worked for me (they have two skirt types). I'm pretty sure Scubatoys sells them as well. The mask does leak a tiny bit for me, but I wouldn't trade it in for anything. The field of view and not having to wear contacts are more than worth it. You really have to try it to believe it. I actually have a buddy of mine (with perfect vision) that wears contacts to make him nearsighted so that he can use the mask.

The Hydrooptix website has a vision chart and if you fall into the category of being able to use them without contacts (in other words you're near sighted), I would highly recommend them.

CompuDude
08-24-2007, 23:31
I've got a Hydrooptix mask which I absolutely love. I bought mine directly from Hydrooptix and they were incredibly helpful, I had a fitting issue and they went well above and beyond to help me find a mask that worked for me (they have two skirt types). I'm pretty sure Scubatoys sells them as well. The mask does leak a tiny bit for me, but I wouldn't trade it in for anything. The field of view and not having to wear contacts are more than worth it. You really have to try it to believe it. I actually have a buddy of mine (with perfect vision) that wears contacts to make him nearsighted so that he can use the mask.

The Hydrooptix website has a vision chart and if you fall into the category of being able to use them without contacts (in other words you're near sighted), I would highly recommend them.
I would love to have one of those, but I'm not quite in the no-contacts range, so they're out for me. I HATE contacts. Wore them for years, never liked them. Back to glasses and happy about that. I do wish I could wear that mask, though... (and sadly, because I DO need vision correction, the 20-20 one isn't an option for me either.)

Souvy
08-31-2007, 01:30
ComuDude, I definitely hear you about the contacts, I can't stand them either. In terms of the range, I'm right at the cusp on the low end and figure my eyes will grow into them as they just keep getting worse (one of the joys of law school).

At any rate, if you're close to the range (e.g. one or possibly two groups over on the Hydrooptix chart) it may be worth a shot. I'm definitely not an expert and the chart is surely correct, but when I bought mine I was one category beyond naked eye use and my vision with them was perfect, just a thought. If you're really interested, it may be worth a call to the folks there. They're like the Scubatoys of masks, their customer service is amazing from my experience.

Charlotte Smith
08-31-2007, 06:01
Genesis has a good mask for corrective lenses also...

ianr33
08-31-2007, 09:09
I just bought a prescription SeaVision Ultra from Scubatoys. Dived it last weekend for the first time. Very happy with it

The prescription version is not on the website,just call them.

I was impressed with how quickly and smoothly everything went

rtrski
09-14-2007, 22:19
Souvy, I like the HO as well. I'm right in the 'correct' blind range. But I have found that on night dives I prefer my old flat, low-volume prescription mask. I guess in the day I'm comfortable enough getting nicely close to the reef and spend a lot of time looking 'up' or to the 'side'. But at night I spend more time looking 'down' and any leakage (minimal to be sure, but still evident, especially with limited vis at night) goes right into those two round buckets straight in front of my vision.

That, and I find the extra field of view is a DETRIMENT at night, when surrounded by all the aircraft landing lights the other divers are letting dangle on lanyards and which magically all end up pointing at me the entire dive....:D