PDA

View Full Version : Patches? We don't need no stinkin' patches!

Phestr
08-24-2007, 22:30
I'm taking PADI Rescue Diver next month, and my crewpack came with a patch. Is it tacky to put this on my dive hat? (My head burns, okay?) I normally don't see people displaying these cert patches, do any of you? I'm thinking it might put newbies at ease to know there is a rescue diver around, in addition to the DM, but will it look like I'm showing off?

Jaymeany
08-24-2007, 22:33
I have 1 set of patches. I like it because learning this was a life goal and it just feels good to have them. I don't think its showing off at all. Go for it!

thesmoothdome
08-24-2007, 22:45
This is one of the discussions that tuirned me off to scubaboard for good. The "elites" spent like 10 pages just slamming anyone who would actually wear a patch, but I'm not going to get riled up again.

IMHO, it's not tacky at all. You should be proud of your accomplishments and if wearing a hat is your way of showing pride, go for it.

I know when I was teaching, we all had PADI sportswear dive coats and our instructor patches and specialties we taught stitched to the arms. Did it put people at ease? Can't say. We wore ours to advertise what we taught and many times, it would work. Since I'm not teaching anymore, the jacket has been retired to the back of the closet though.

ScubaToys Larry
08-24-2007, 22:53
Yea... there's nothing wrong with it. Now the standard joke is - a divers ability is inversely proportional to the number of patches they have... but it's a joke.

The other thing the attorneys will tell you is you are advertising that you are trained in rescue, so in the case of an accident, they can target you easier. "You were trained in detecting problems in advance - so why didn't you stop our client from entering the water with a tank that wasn't tight enough - which then ended up causing him to have an embolism when he dashed for the surface halfway through the dive... and where were you then?"

But in reality, they will probably find out anything on anybody who was around anyway.

Centerius
08-24-2007, 22:56
indirectly proportional

I think you mean "inversely proportional." (Sorry! I'm getting my Ph.D in Mathematics, I can't help myself. :smilie40:)

ScubaToys Larry
08-24-2007, 22:58
indirectly proportional

I think you mean "inversely proportional." (Sorry! I'm getting my Ph.D in Mathematics, I can't help myself. :smilie40:)

Ooops... yes.. it's late... so I'm going to go in and edit it so I don't look like an idiot... much.

chinacat46
08-24-2007, 22:59
I say you should go for it. Being a rescue diver is kewl and you had to learn some very useful skills to get. Be proud and say it loud. I'm a rescue diver. Now if it was a boat specialty I'd put in the garbage but rescue is kewl.

chewyjr15
08-24-2007, 22:59
i can't wait til i have patches to wear!

dmdoss
08-24-2007, 23:08
every time I see a diver with a bunch of those patch's it scares the hell outta me.

Phestr
08-25-2007, 01:27
This is one of the discussions that tuirned me off to scubaboard for good. The "elites" spent like 10 pages just slamming anyone who would actually wear a patch, but I'm not going to get riled up again.

You know, I think I started that one too. Like I said, I'm gonna put it on the hat. I'm not gonna strut around and say, "Hey, is there a Rescue Diver on the boat? Oh, wait, it's me!" And I can understand how a guy who isn't a professional wearing a shirt made out of patches could make you wonder what he's compensating for. But that's why Rescue is going on the hat and Master (when I get it), is going in the drawer with all the others.

And like thesmoothdome said, this is one topic that made me so happy when the ST board popped up.

But I am looking for honest opinions, that'swhy I asked. I have every confidence that the people here are a cut above the ones that frequent other boards.

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 03:20
indirectly proportional

Ooops... yes.. it's late... so I'm going to go in and edit it so I don't look like an idiot... much.

Some might say... a writer's relevance is directly proportional to the number of mistakes he makes while posting to a forum.

:smiley20:

Scubacookie
08-25-2007, 05:51
Great job on your accomplishment, I dont think its the patches that scare people, I think its how the people who have the patches act towards others that scare the people.

cummings66
08-25-2007, 06:40
I've seen a diver at a DUI rally who stitched it onto his drysuit. I myself thought of putting mine on the undergarment, but I've never got around to it. I may have lost them by now however. I don't see anything wrong with it, but who knows.

JugglingMonkeys
08-25-2007, 07:17
Great job on your accomplishment, I dont think its the patches that scare people, I think its how the people who have the patches act towards others that scare the people.

Attitude is everything!

Vercingetorix
08-25-2007, 09:14
I'm NAUI certified (OW, AOW, Rescue) at ScubaToys. We didn't get patches. All I got was this lousy plastic card.:smiley19:

ScubaToys Larry
08-25-2007, 09:26
I'm NAUI certified (OW, AOW, Rescue) at ScubaToys. We didn't get patches. All I got was this lousy plastic card.:smiley19:

After seeing you in the water... the instructors really didn't want you to go around bragging where you were certified - or to what level. :smilie39: :smilie39:

Kidding! Just kidding!

namabiru
08-25-2007, 09:28
You know, I think I started that one too. Like I said, I'm gonna put it on the hat. I'm not gonna strut around and say, "Hey, is there a Rescue Diver on the boat? Oh, wait, it's me!" And I can understand how a guy who isn't a professional wearing a shirt made out of patches could make you wonder what he's compensating for. But that's why Rescue is going on the hat and Master (when I get it), is going in the drawer with all the others.

And like thesmoothdome said, this is one topic that made me so happy when the ST board popped up.

But I am looking for honest opinions, that'swhy I asked. I have every confidence that the people here are a cut above the ones that frequent other boards.

Sure, Mr. Phestr. You've 'earned' your patch, so why not wear it? If other divers think it's lame, hey, look at where most divers on forums come from--the United States. And you know how some Americans can be-- if there's nothing to complain about, they invent something quite quickly. :smiley19:

:smiley21: People who take issue with your patch are just trying to puff up their egos by putting you down. Don't listen to them.

If you want to wear your patch, you definitely should. Post a pic for us, so we know how your patchwork turned out.

Plus, you're on the wonderful island of Okinawa. If enough locals see the gaikokujin wearing the patch and think it 'kakoii', then Uniqlo may start making t-shirts with dive patch logos. I would *definitely* have to get to Japan to patronize Uniqlo then :)

Vercingetorix
08-25-2007, 12:55
After seeing you in the water... the instructors really didn't want you to go around bragging where you were certified - or to what level. :smilie39: :smilie39:

Kidding! Just kidding!Oh man...that's just mean...funny as hell...but mean.:smiley36:

Actually, my dive buddy, TxHockeyGuy, might agree...with you...

Jaymeany
08-25-2007, 13:00
Tattoo it on your buttocks so if someone makes fun of you patch you can show them your tattoo! Take that! :bootyshake:

DivingsInMyBlood
08-25-2007, 13:03

IMHO, it's not tacky at all. You should be proud of your accomplishments and if wearing a hat is your way of showing pride, go for it.

I know when I was teaching, we all had PADI sportswear dive coats and our instructor patches and specialties we taught stitched to the arms. Did it put people at ease? Can't say. We wore ours to advertise what we taught and many times, it would work. Since I'm not teaching anymore, the jacket has been retired to the back of the closet though.

I agree on subaboard so many people (the elites) just had too much time on their hands to down patches which people had earned and if they wanted to put the patches on it was their choice not the elites to do so. If you want to put a patch on go for it you earned it and be proud of it.

thesmoothdome
08-25-2007, 13:19
I've seen a diver at a DUI rally who stitched it onto his drysuit. I myself thought of putting mine on the undergarment, but I've never got around to it. I may have lost them by now however. I don't see anything wrong with it, but who knows.

Onto his drysuit? Now that's a brave (?) man. I guess you could sew on to the tough duck material, but geez...punching holes in my dry suit just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Zenagirl
08-25-2007, 13:22
There was a guy on our recent liveaboard who had a hat with patches all over it. Although I wouldn't do it, he liked it and that's all that matters at the end of the day. :D

Vercingetorix
08-25-2007, 13:38
There was a guy on our recent liveaboard who had a hat with patches all over it. Although I wouldn't do it, he liked it and that's all that matters at the end of the day. :DAgreed.

It doesn't matter at all what others think. If you want to wear the patches, do it. You earned them. Be proud.

Charlotte Smith
08-28-2007, 11:29
It will be nice to see someone advertise that they are there to help if need be.....wear the patch!

thor
08-28-2007, 11:48
The other thing the attorneys will tell you is you are advertising that you are trained in rescue, so in the case of an accident, they can target you easier. "You were trained in detecting problems in advance - so why didn't you stop our client from entering the water with a tank that wasn't tight enough - which then ended up causing him to have an embolism when he dashed for the surface halfway through the dive... and where were you then?"

But in reality, they will probably find out anything on anybody who was around anyway.

Sad, but true. Also they could argue that they relied on this person's expertise when they entered the water, much like someone relying on the fact that a lifeguard will rescue them when they go to a beach with a lifequard on duty. When that lifeguard/rescue diver fails to rescue the person, that could be the grounds for liabillty.

greyzen
08-28-2007, 12:00
Yeah personally I wouldn't put it on your hat, I'd stick it to your BC/etc so it stays on when you are under the water.

If someone has a problem with it, tell them you are glad they are vocally advertising them membership to Scubaboard, and then leave them looking confused or pissed :)

mselizann
02-03-2008, 16:12
I'll admit it- I am a patch junkie- I not only have cert and specialty patches, but also one for each 25 dive accomplishment 25 dives, 50, 100, etc
but I also get patches from different dive shops I've worked with- I have them all on my fleece jacket I wear when I get out of the water- it's super fun

texarkandy
02-03-2008, 17:03
Bottom line is "you can't judge a book by it's cover"

& that includes those folks who think they're "too cool to wear a patch" as well as those with patches plastered all over

I wouldn't form an opinion of anyone I've never met based upon whether they do - or do not - wear dive patches.

johnyringo
02-03-2008, 17:52
There was a guy on our recent liveaboard who had a hat with patches all over it. Although I wouldn't do it, he liked it and that's all that matters at the end of the day. :D
Here, Here, it's not what others may think, but what you think of yourself.
(...or, is it hear, hear?)

DivingCRNA
02-03-2008, 18:44
Maybe we need patches for depths achieved? 50, 60, 75, 100, 120, 135, 150, etc...

LOL

I personally do not wear patches, but I do not care if others do. The proof is in the water...

cummings66
02-03-2008, 19:16
Now you're really starting to make me feel inferior. What's next, patches to signify gaining a patch? I have 25 patches so I got this nifty patch right over here that says that, see...

fisheater
02-03-2008, 19:20
I'll admit it- I am a patch junkie- I not only have cert and specialty patches, but also one for each 25 dive accomplishment 25 dives, 50, 100, etc
but I also get patches from different dive shops I've worked with- I have them all on my fleece jacket I wear when I get out of the water- it's super fun

Must have been a Boy Scout. :smiley20:

Crimediver
02-03-2008, 19:24
I'm not a patch guy but I do like picking up dive decals from shops and manufacturers. Feel free to send me some :)

navyhmc
02-03-2008, 20:30
Maybe we need patches for depths achieved? 50, 60, 75, 100, 120, 135, 150, etc...

LOL

I personally do not wear patches, but I do not care if others do. The proof is in the water...

Mine would have to be custom made: max depth was a saturation dive in '84 to 634' valve test and valve NDT. :D

Crimediver
02-04-2008, 06:27
Navyhmc,
That dive warrants a tattoo!

MSilvia
02-04-2008, 08:17
What the heck is an elite scubaboard member? :smilie39:

Kingpatzer
02-04-2008, 08:47
I think I'm actually more ok with a person who has a patch for every cert hanging around than someone who has just their rescue or DM patch. The former appears to me to be a collector, the latter appears to me to be trying to show off "hey, check it out, Rescue Diver!"

Now, that's just my personal take, and I'm not going to let appearances stop me from getting to know someone and forming a view of them on something more substantial than what patches they do or do not have. But that's kind of my initial take on folks when I see patches.

My experiences comes from being in the military and scouting -- in both arenas, patch collecting is something of a way of life. But single patches tend to signify someone who feels they have some reason to be elitist. It's not always the case, but it's a pretty fair indicator in the circles I've been around.

mm2002
02-04-2008, 09:56
I have nothing against people wearing patches, even though I don't. I do think they should be earned though. It's pretty sad that any joe blo can buy a full set of them on ebay.

Duckydiver
02-04-2008, 15:20
I was eating breakfast at a dinner the other day and a man walked in wearing a coat with the PADI Rescue Diver patch on the chest. I said to my friend, "So thats what you do with that patch."

caroln
02-04-2008, 15:56
I remember back in the day seeing people who had suitcases with stickers from places they visited all over the world, and I always thought that was really cool. I never thought they were showing off, just remembering the journey so to speak. I see the scuba patches the same way--they remind you of what you've done, what you've learned, the journey to being the diver you are now for better or worse. If anyone really gets a bug up their butt over your patches, it says a lot more about them than you, and I wouldn't worry about it.

Zyxistal
02-04-2008, 16:31
What the heck is an elite scubaboard member? :smilie39:

Someone who spends 99% of their time saying they are great divers on the boards and 1% of their time diving.

cummings66
02-04-2008, 18:50
A patch of where you've been is fine, a patch that say's something like I'm a Padi Master Scuba Diver is not something I'd be proud to wear. I don't even wear my rescue diver patch, although I did consider putting in on my drysuit undergarments. Never did though, I'm not vain.

I would place those sticker patches on my gear bags that say I've dove the Andria Doria and things like that, but not on my gear others would see. My memories.

texdiveguy
02-04-2008, 19:24
I'm taking PADI Rescue Diver next month, and my crewpack came with a patch. Is it tacky to put this on my dive hat? (My head burns, okay?) I normally don't see people displaying these cert patches, do any of you? I'm thinking it might put newbies at ease to know there is a rescue diver around, in addition to the DM, but will it look like I'm showing off?

Back in the olden days agency patches were a big thing....folks got jackets with them all sewn on.....it was a thing of the times. Every patch I have are in my files.....I just don't see the need to display them IMO.

MConnelly2
02-07-2008, 14:04
I have several patches on my dry suit - all of them to remember a diving event....

The one on the right leg makes me remember not to sit on a rusty old submerged tractor because it seems funny at the moment, the one on the right sleeve is a memory of slamming the tailgate closed without making sure your drysuit isn't going to get snagged in the latch, the one on the left sleeve a memory of carelessly cutting loose a fouled Fortress anchor (nice new one, stickers still on it), and the one on the chest reminds me to disconnect the damn hose before dropping the BC.

I think I may be losing brainpower to chronic overexposure to AquaSeal fumes....

TX1Chica
02-07-2008, 15:25
I remember back in the day seeing people who had suitcases with stickers from places they visited all over the world, and I always thought that was really cool. I never thought they were showing off, just remembering the journey so to speak. I see the scuba patches the same way--they remind you of what you've done, what you've learned, the journey to being the diver you are now for better or worse. If anyone really gets a bug up their butt over your patches, it says a lot more about them than you, and I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't have any patches, but I love stuff like that. Stickers, t-shirts.... For me it brings back the the memory of the places that I have been and the people I have been with (usually my family).
Also, I like anything with a dive flag on it:smiley20:

BeachBunnyCrissy
02-08-2008, 15:31
I have seen a couple people put their rescue /DM patches on their log books.

I collect magnets from places I dive and super glue them on my baby blue cooler I take on my day trips :) Dorky I know.

Mycroft
02-08-2008, 15:44
I have my Scubaradio jacket, and I considered starting at the top of one sleeve and using the Master Diver patch at the top and doing rockers for all the specialties down the arm, then the rescue diver, then the AOW and put the rockers for the specialties for that level under it. Fortunately, I don't sew, and I have never gotten around to having it done.

Typically, the ones critisizing are the ones that haven't or can't do it!

CompuDude
02-08-2008, 15:48
I'd rather see someone wearing a Rescue Diver patch than an AOW patch.

pyre24
02-16-2008, 23:45
I like the idea of the patches, but not the stle it came with. Look on ebay for all styles. I like the chevrons personally. Be proud show it off.

terrillja
02-16-2008, 23:58
I like the idea of the patches, but not the stle it came with. Look on ebay for all styles. I like the chevrons personally. Be proud show it off.
I have chevrons with my specialties one one side of my bag, certs on the other side (OW/AOW/rescue), with the number of dives patches on one end.

I got into patches when I was ski racing all over the world, and I would put a patch on my ski pack for everywhere I skied. My favorite is from Tignes, France, and it is in the shape of a snowflake.

Clanggedin
02-17-2008, 15:26
I'm going to put my Rescue Diver patch underneath my Wilderness First Responder Patch on my Venturing Uniform. That's the only shirt I'm allowed to attach patches to.

fisheater
02-17-2008, 17:26
I'm going to put my Rescue Diver patch underneath my Wilderness First Responder Patch on my Venturing Uniform. That's the only shirt I'm allowed to attach patches to.

Way to go!

- Fisheater (also a SM)